Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So i bought a 3D printer
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phil wrote:
Thread bump.

So no one else has interest in a 3D printer?

'think I'm going to wait one more year... they're still improving rather quickly at the moment, each iteration solving the problems of the gen before.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Kossel - https://www.3dhubs.com/3d-printers/kossel

I do want one to play with though, neat tech
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one looks pretty interesting. I'd look into both of them and compare.
I've only played with this Rostock, but man, I sure do love this thing.

Don't forget to check out that forum that I mentioned.

My '66 Baja Build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456365

Free from the evils of facebook Dec 2012. No other Social Media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banditwolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have one. One day I hope.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the mold possiabilitys like the dr on holliday.intakes,cylinder heads,cylinders,thingamajigs&whatcheediggetts.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how stable is the plastic, i've read that it's brittle

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just to update. as said above the plastic is way too brittle to be used. tried making a handle and it just snaped Crying or Very sad
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Mmm - some folks famously printed up a small handgun and fired it, so maybe they used a less brittle material...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm I would like 2 sets of adapters to adapt a set of IDF to IDA intakes. probably about an inch tall or so ,and a set for the same but for a mold I think 6% bigger for aluminum shrinkage,but I may be off on that % .I wonder how the plastic ones would hold up... Shocked now thats a skeery thought.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: So i bought a 3D printer Reply with quote

I posted this in another thread, but Everett would like us to continue in this one. Someone made some strut caps a while back I think. It's coming into the mainstream, but think of it as the late 80's Cell Phone stage. Once it gets to the Smart Phone stage, we'll printing parts in the garage to put on the car right out of the printer. Although not for a VW, this 300SL emblem was 3d printed for the shop I work at, then chromed. It was printed with a fairly elaborate printer, so it did have some small characteristic steps of the different printed levels, but it was finished to remove the steps before chroming. There are many different materials that can be used, from wax to plastics to metals like Aluminum/Bronze/Stainless.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: So i bought a 3D printer Reply with quote

from what I see there are many difrent "plastics" that can be used in some machines even wood.Im not sure what the wood is. Ive been looking at the 3d printers on the china sites. I wish I was doing more that I do so I could justify getting one, but ...i dont. mold making would be nice especialy with a mieda that would go away when molten aluminum was poured in the cavity.like the lost foam method or even the lost wax.
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: So i bought a 3D printer Reply with quote

I have a buddy that is a genius. By day, a master electrician running a 100 man shop and by night, a crazy inventor type. He and I did robot wars back in the late 90's.... Well, he built, I drove it and drank his beer.

Anyhow. He has a dual feed 3D printer with a filament that is conductive. He can print a conductive path through a piece so a battery on one side can power lifts on the other with the wiring being incorporated into the piece. Just a neat application I thought.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So i bought a 3D printer Reply with quote

Yeah, printing with wax to use for a replacement cast is something I have seen done.

Just as a 2D ink printer varies Red, and Yellow to make Orange, so too can 3D printers vary printing materials. One school the shop is dealing with has the ability to print with a Steel media, and a Rubber media. They were going to try and print an engine mount by starting with the Steel, and slowly transfer into printing Rubber, all in one printing of one part.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: