Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU get pulled over for?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
imnrpt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car was a VW bug that had been through 2 of my brothers already. The second brother to have it was headed to Orlando when it caught fire and burned the rear end. He gave it to me for my birthday and I managed to get it running again. One night heading home I got pulled over because it was smoking so bad the cop thought it was on fire (again)! Many more but that was the first time.
Firetruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: got pulled for speeding - and was asked to predict my death Reply with quote

Back in 1990 when I was 19 years old I bought a toyota corolla and left my iowan guest family for a couple of weeks to see some of the US. The car had no working speedo and following others only worked when others were there. In Montana one day I was alone on the interstate and estimating the speed did not do the trick. Going 78 mph instead of 65 made me meet a nice officer.

Together we read/translated my german drivers license until we came to the field 'expiring date' in his form. In germany a drivers license has no expiring date. I told him that it would expire when I die. He looked at me and said" well, you do not happen to know, when that will be? I cannot leave the field empty." Shocked Very Happy

I gladly paid $5 for "an unnescessary wit of a natural ressource" to be filed in my photoalbum of the trip. And still have a good lough about it years after that because at that time the only less fuel consumpting vehicle in the US would have been a lawnmower. Very Happy
Zwitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: True VW stories Reply with quote

L o n g ago I got a speeding ticket in my Zwitter-70mph!
Damn neatest thing getting that 25 HP to go that fast.

And as a GREAT addition to it all. the CHP officer asked about the semiphores-"Do those things work?"...
I turned on the switch and as he was leaning in, the tip of the semiphore clipped the brim of his cap. Scared the hell outta him I think, fast as he jumped backwards. It was a fair payback to him for giving me the ticket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got lit up on the FWY by a Chippie, he announced on his speaker "NICE CAR" and drove away!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve spent more time in traffic court while driving my VW’s then all my other cars combined. In fact I lost my driver’s license a couple times but I think I’ve only ever gotten 1 ticket when not driving a VW.

Two of them were pretty expensive.

I had a 63 that was heavily modified, quick and handled exceptional well. Almost every night on my way home from the girl friend’s house I would make a high speed detour through the local (Loch Raven) reservoir. These were nice twisty roads with a few elevation changes and it was sort of my race track.

There was a 25 mile per hour speed limit.

Although this was almost a nightly routine, I never got caught.

However this particular night I was a few hours early. And I was actually driving my father’s 63 bug. All stock with bias ply tires. I had 2 bags of groceries on the back seat and although I wasn’t doing 25, I certainly wasn’t going through there the way I normally did. In fact I doubt there were very many stretches where I even got over about 35.

Suddenly the red & blues appear out of nowhere and pull me over.

During the stop and initial conference at my driver’s window, the officer says he was “having a difficult time keeping up with me”. I told him if that was the case then he probably shouldn’t be driving.

He asked why? I said because “I’m driving a 1963 Volkswagen with 40 tired horsepower. It has 3-1/2 inch wide bias ply tires, swing axle rear suspension, and 4 wheel drum brakes. I have a couple bags of groceries on the back seat and I’m not in a hurry. You’re driving a brand new police cruiser with a powerful V8 engine, cop wheels, cop tires, cop radial tuned suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes and you can’t keep up with me?. If you can’t keep up with me driving that, then you shouldn’t be allowed to drive!

I was awarded with a ticket for exceeding the speed limit by 50mph. $500 fine and 5 points on my license.

And while there were many other times I probably would have been thrown in jail with no hope of release, that night I certainly wasn’t guilty of what I was charged with.

The other big ticket I got was with my 63. My room mate at the time had a 64 and it was in need of some attention. He purchased a real nice 59 and since the cars were so similar he never bothered to get the 59 registered. He just screwed the tags off the 64 onto the 59 and drove it.

Well, he’s at home one evening cooking his dinner. I’m at the girlfriend’s house about 5 miles from our apartment.

He goes out to get something out of his car and locks himself out of the apartment.
His car (the 59) was unlocked, so he popped the trunk and got a jumper wire out of his tool box and hot wired the car to get it started.

Then he drove over to my girlfriend’s house in a panic to get my door keys because he was afraid of burning down the apartment.

I was just leaving, so I jumped in my 63 and the two of us headed home as fast as we could.

We had only gone a few blocks when a Chevy sedan appeared in the rear view mirror at a red light. I was checking it out pretty good and decided it couldn’t be an unmarked police car because it was too beat up.

When the light turned green we took off again. The Chevy was sort of hanging with us and I kept checking it out for a while but I didn’t give it too much thought.

About 2 miles latter we got another red light and the Chevy pulled up behind me as I was following my room mate. When the light turned green, off we went, but before we could get into 3rd gear, all sorts of red & blue lights suddenly appeared on the Chevy! Turns out it was an unmarked Baltimore City police car after all.

We both stopped and as the officer was doing his paper work I went back to sit in the car with my room mate. He was pretty nervous because he couldn’t turn the engine off without getting out and opening the trunk. And he was really afraid the officer would look in and see he had no keys in the ignition. That might lead to a VIN check and then he would really be in trouble for having tags from his 64 on this 59.

We got lucky as the cop didn’t notice the lack of keys or question the registration on the car. He just politely wrote us both tickets for doing 110mph in a 35mph zone and we were once more on our way. (I doubt we would have the same results for that one today.)

Well we knew we were in some serious trouble. And we probably really needed a lawyer to fight this one.

Growing up a few years earlier, the guy who lived behind me was a Judge in People’s Court of Baltimore City. I had been close friends with his son who had died a few years before this incident and I always got along real well with the judge. People’s Court just happened to be in the same courthouse that traffic court was in. So we went to see the judge to see if he could recommend a good lawyer.

The judge listened to our story and he told us to just go to court and tell the truth and it would be OK. We wouldn’t need a lawyer.

I didn’t see how that was going to be the case on this one, but I guessed the judge knew better then we did.

About 2 weeks before our scheduled court date we both received a postponement notice in the mail. This was a bit strange, but I wasn’t going to complain about a postponement of this issue! I wasn’t looking forward to having to face the music.

Then again about 2 weeks before our next scheduled court date we both received another postponement notice in the mail. In fact I think in all we received 4 or 5 postponement notices for this court date.

What we didn’t know at the time was that the judge was getting our court dates postponed until we would come up in front of one of the more lenient judges in the courthouse.

Now there was also a judge Rogers. And Judge Rogers was about as close to a hanging judge as you could get at that time. He was a REAL SOB and he never let anyone off, or gave anyone a reduced sentence for anything, EVER!

Unfortunately because of my wonderful Volkswagen and the way I enjoyed driving it, I had been in front of Judge Rogers more then a few times.

So finally the day of reckoning arrives and we show up at the court house. We check the docket and go to courtroom #6 where our fate is to be decided.

The courtroom is packed. Standing room only. I’m sure there were far more people in there then the fire department would have been happy with.

The Bailiff comes in and does the all raise thing and in comes the Judge Murphy. Judge Murphy. He says a few words and everyone is seated and they start calling cases to the stand. As we’re waiting our turn, we’re seeing people get off left and right. It was almost as ridiculous as a speeding drunk driver crashes into the bus stop and kills 15 people, mostly women and children, but gets off with probation before judgment because he said he was in a hurry because he had to go pee.

We were still pretty scared, but things were starting to look a lot better.

After about 20 minutes and NO convictions, another officer of the court comes in and between cases he steps up to the front of the court room and says “Anyone with tickets from officer so and so, so and so, and so and so, please go to court room #3 down the hall.

That was us!

My judge friend had done all he could to get us in front of Judge Murphy and now we were being sent down the hall to a different court room and a different judge.

When I walked into the court room, I about died. There we were in Hanging Judge Roger’s court room! All I could think about was the lecture he had given me the last time I was in his court room for something really minor like exceeding the speed limit by 5 mile per hour!

We found a seat and just about as soon as we sat down the bailiff called my name. I figured they were just taking role so I said “here”. The bailiff responded with a very loud and very stern “Well get up here!”

And so I had to go up to the front of the court room in front of hanging Judge Rogers and stand next to the police officer with the big gun on his hip and talk into a microphone in front of a whole bunch of people I didn’t know.

Judge Rogers asks the cop for his side of the story and the cop gives the details.

Then the judge turns to me and says, “Mr. Honeywell, how can a 1963 Volkswagen go 110 mph?”

I said “It can’t your honor, that’s why I’m here.”

To which the judge says, “Well your guilty, pay the fine” and smacks his gavel down.

That was it for me. No chance to explain my self. Just off to the gallows wondering whatever happened to innocent before guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? It was pretty obvious to me the judge had reasonable doubt to ask how a 63 Volkswagen could go that fast!

When I turned to leave the courtroom I knew I was in real trouble. The bailiff told me to sit down over here on the side on this special bench. I had never seen that happen before. In fact the only time I had ever seen anyone sitting over there was when they were in orange jumpsuits, shackles and hand cuffs waiting to be transported back to their jail cell.

Next they called my room mate to the stand. The police officer started to read off the details and the judge stopped him. He dug through some paper work and read what was obviously my charges.

He says to the cop, “Wait a minute here, you have these two Volkswagens, a 1963 and a 1964, on the same day at the same time with the same charge of 110mph in the same location. Were these two drivers racing?”

“No your honor, they weren’t racing, they were following one another.”

Then Judge Rogers asks my room mate what he has to say for himself and he says “Well your honor I was just driving along with traffic. The car behind me was going just as fast as I was and the car behind him was going just as fast as he was.”

The judge says, “Wait a minute, wait a minute, officer, did you stop the car that was following these two gentleman?”

“No sir your honor.”

“Why not?”

“Because I was driving that car your honor.”

To which the entire courtroom erupted into spontaneous laughter.

Hanging Judge Rogers starts banging away with his gavel and demanding silence.

Then he proclaimed my room mate guilty and the bailiff also made him sit on the special bench. I was sure we were on our way to jail.

After about a half hour, the bailiff took us both out in the hall and inquired about payment. The fine was $1,500 each! We didn’t have that kind of money. Heck we barely had enough to pay for parking and we drove together in one car to the court house!

So the bailiff took us to see the “special” cashier so that we could make payment arraignments to the court and also to give us a very scary and powerful lecture about what would happen to us if we were late on a single payment.

There have lots of other times that I was in court in front of a Judge for various traffic violations in the VW’s, but these two stand out at the top of my list.
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Pacific Coast Highway Reply with quote

Northern California in 2002 I was pulled over on the PCH for going too slow; 25 in a 35. It was a crazy windy stretch, with a loaded bus. I was from the East coast, and had never encountered the turnouts to use when you had a line-up of vehicles (more than three, I was informed) behind you.

The cop was not very friendly. Smile

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
Maikel_rox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got pulled over once for being to low. Got 3 tickets with a total of 600 euros..
They also took my papers, had to make it back to original and let it recheck at the police station a month later..
Had the strong feeling that the police-officer wanted to screw me and was really naggin 'bout things.
Not to mension the lame statements he made about my car..

At the moment i could kill someone because of it. Now i laugh about the memory Razz
insane68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pulled over for going 91mph in a 65mph zone, went to court and the judge laughed his ass off at the cop for trying to stick me with a ticket that is 10mph over the speed the car can even do going downhill. I also was pulled over for not wearing a seat belt when the car was factory lap belt and no shoulder straps and also got that ticket thrown out. Last time being pulled over was for having headlights that matched the color of my car. Cops wonder why we hate them? Gee I wonder....... I have been pulled over more in this VW than I have in any other car I've ever owned.
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got pulled over for a 1835cc at full throttle in third gear with a stinger exhaust. Seems the noise was not the problem but the protrusion of the stinger exhaust got me a ticket. Had to unbolt it and drive home without it.
EvileNV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drscope, you had me dying laughing at "cop wheels, cop tires, cop radial tuned suspension" Reminds me of the Blues Brothers!
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Maingot wrote:
Got pulled over for a 1835cc at full throttle in third gear with a stinger exhaust. Seems the noise was not the problem but the protrusion of the stinger exhaust got me a ticket. Had to unbolt it and drive home without it.

Here in California, anything other than stock is considered " a modified exhaust " and can get you cited. It all depends on the officer.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in my case it would be easier to tell what I wasn’t pulled over for then the things I have been pulled over for.

There was the time the officer came up to my window and asked “Where’s your front license tag?” I said “It’s on my front bumper.”
He asks, “Where’s your front bumper?”
“Home in the garage.”
But the really strange part about this one was I went to traffic court to try to fight it. There was a woman there who had received her little year sticker to put on her license tag, but she didn’t have them on the car.
She told the judge that her husband had stuck the sticker to the refrigerator door to see how well it stuck.
The judge asks her if she brought in the refrigerator door as evidence and when she said no, he nailed her with a big fine.
I was up next and explained that my tag was on my bumper but that the bumper was off the car because I had been doing repairs. He asked if it was back on the car now and I said yes.
I got off. I always wondered if that judge was a VW enthusiast.

I had semaphores in my 60 and got stopped one time because the officer didn’t see any directional signal lights on my front fenders. He’s standing at the front of the car looking and says “Turn on your left blinker.”
I hit the switch and the semaphore pops out. He didn’t see it because he was looking at the front of the car.
Again he says “Turn on your left blinker.”
I said “It is on.” He asks “Where is it?” and I pointed to the semaphore.
He asks “Does it blink?” I said Sure it blinks” and I started working the turn signal lever so it would pop out, turn on and go back in.
He still wrote me up.

I got nailed once for having a stinger on my 63. I came down off the interstate and a State Trooper was under the bridge just finishing up writing someone else a ticket. I had to stop and wait for traffic to go by before pulling out to go around – Under the bridge. No way to keep it quiet.
He immediately pulled out and followed me for about 10 blocks before pulling me over. I guess he was just waiting for me to do something else.
He told me I had been speeding and that is why he stopped me.
I told him I wasn’t speeding because he had been following me all the way from under the interstate bridge and I knew he was back there just waiting for me to do something stupid. I got a work order for the exhaust but no more mention of speeding that time.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1979, I was driving east on Fingerboard Road crossing over Interstate 278 on Staten Island in my '74 SB. On the west side of the bridge, the speed limit was 45 mph. I knew that the speed limit immediately dropped to 35 mph on the other side of the bridge, so I was in "gear down coast" mode. When I went past the 35 mph speed limit sign in a small curve, a New York City police officer was standing there with a hand held radar gun. He motioned for me to pull over, so I went around the curve to find a line of at least a half dozen drivers in their cars waiting on their speeding ticket.

When my turn came, I was ticketed for running 37 in a 35!!! End of month make-up tickets for sure.

10 years earlier, I was driving on a long stretch of deserted and divided 4-lane in NW Georgia - on my way to work early in the morning. My car had a 260 cubic inch engine with a 2-bbl carb in a 4000 + pound '63 Galaxie. I was late (25 miles to work) and was letting it eat all it wanted. The Georgia State Patrol trooper who pulled me over asked me if I knew how fast I was running. In all honesty, I answered, "Yes, sir - 113 mph 'cause that's all she'll do in the flats!" That was on payday, and the fine was more than 60% of my take home pay that week!
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
I was awarded with a ticket for exceeding the speed limit by 50mph. $500 fine and 5 points on my license.

We got lucky as the cop didn’t notice the lack of keys or question the registration on the car. He just politely wrote us both tickets for doing 110mph in a 35mph zone and we were once more on our way. (I doubt we would have the same results for that one today.)

Seems like cops in Baltimore like to lie about your speed, The 2 times I've been pulled over ever...knock on wood... both in my bug, both for speeding, they might have exaggerated a little on the speed but not like 110 in a 35 lol

Only ticket I got was for 80 in a 50, It was a cool night and I had just got my Webers tuned up and I let it rip, I probably hit 100 then I let up a bit because I thought I saw a car up ahead on a side street, yep a CHP. I was worried he would want to inspect my bug
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in high school got pulled over in front on my dates house for running a stop sign. Later that night same cop busted me for burning out. Not a good night. Date also left in the middle of the date.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Maingot wrote:

that wouldn't be loud at all right Rolling Eyes
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving my Beetle home from a show once a few years ago. Had the 'year of manufacture' plate on, which was a program new to Indiana that year. Got pulled over while accelerating up a long hill, so I wasn't speeding.

Cop: "What's the deal with the plate on here?"

Me: "It's a year of manufacture plate, here's the info" (I carried a printout of the info from the BMV's website)

He looks it over, "Hmpf. I've never heard of this. Wait here."
He walks back to his car, and in the meantime another officer pulled up. I hear them conversing behind the car.

Cop1: "You ever hear of this YOM plate program?"

Cop2: "Oh yeah, read about that the last time I was in the BMV"

Cop1 comes back, hands me everything back and begins to tell me that he could give me a ticket, but it would probably get thrown out in court. Also lectures me that although it's legal, I should probably only put the YOM plate on there for car shows.

Rather than arguing, I just said the one phrase that makes most people go away. "I understand."

Haven't taken the plate off since, and haven't ever been pulled over again.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because the guy in front of us ran the stop sine. Shocked
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Flying through downtown Sandwich Massachusetts in a Chevy El Camino at night, go around a corner and see the speed trap and the Blue lights go on ....as I slow down to stop the blue lights go off ........ I pulled to the side and waited for the officer.......Then I heard " come on PETE 60 in a 35 mile zone "......It was one of the town cops who was on the volunteer Fire Dept with me .........NO ticket....... Laughing

The same radio that I had for the fire dept had extra frequency crystals for the state police ; I knew where the cops were when I was cruising off to Killington Vermont on Friday night to go skiing for the weekend . Twisted Evil

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

time line - 1969 (as a 16 year old kid)
I had purchased my 1st VW - a 1963 bug. In the process of repair/restoration I had pulled my hood, fenders, deck lid, bumpers, lights etc. off the car and took it to a sandblaster (12 miles away) to zap the rust on the body. When I was driving home after an Ohio State Highway patrolman pulled me over and just looked at me and said what in the hell is going on - no paint, no wipers, no turn signals etc. Explained the situation to him and (unlike most meetings with Ohio SHP) the officer took pity and escorted me home so he could see my license plates and give me the traditional "if I ever see anything like this again your in deep .... kid"
Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: