Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drive line
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
partwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Drive line Reply with quote

On a 1996 VW Jetta, with 175,000 miles.

The trans was rebuilt about 3 years ago, and so I wouldn't think that would be the issue, but have never put in CV joints or anything, but seems like there is some slop, that when putting it in gear, and then when stepping on the pedal, there is some feeling of slop, till it takes root.

I shut it off, and put in all gears, and rocked the car back and forth to see how much the car would roll. It almost seems like it should be tighter? As I went up in gears, it rolled back and forth more. Seems like something is getting a bit sloppy.

Any, thoughts, ideas, or suggestions, on what it could be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automatic? They are like that. Go find another one and compare.
partwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 speed stick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a bad motor mount. If you set the parking brake( or chalk the wheels) and with the hood up(so you can see the motor) put it in gear and try to move the car, if the motor rises up more than a couple of inches, you have a bad mount. That could be what you are feeling. When I replaced mounts in our Golf it made a huge difference. I'd stick with stock, especially on the tranny mount, as that one will transfer a bunch of motor vibration to the dash.
partwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check it out.
partwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that, and from what I could see over the dash, I don't think the engine moved more than 3/4".

Mechanic is going to get it up on the hoist over the weekend to check it out further.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those are good, and the CV's are not clicking, I'd not worry about it. A manual tranny will have "slop" due to gear lash and the CV's will have some also and since you have to account for a CV at each end of axle and the tranny's gear lash, things will "seem" loose.
partwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Motor mount replacement Reply with quote

Sounds like I am going to have to replace the motor mounts, after 175,000 miles.

According to the mechanic, there are 3 of them, but I forgot to ask their names, but from some research, would they be, the rear left, rear right, and front?

I also see there is something called Bushing, front engine subframe, but he did not mention anything about replacing those, but would it be a good idea as well?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: