Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning up years of neglect...
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Cleaning up years of neglect... Reply with quote

I recently picked up what I have since found out is a Desert Fox Buggy.. It was owned by the same couple since 1979. It was regularly used as a weekend/summer car until 2010 when the husband became ill, at which point it was put on non-op.. The husband passed away in 2012, so it literally sat (covered in the driveway) for the last 4-1/2 years.. After having seen it sit there for the last several years, I finally was in a spot where I had some cash in hand and figured I would go inquire about it... The little old lady was SO nice and I think she immediately felt like my family and I would be a good fit for the buggy.. I ASSURED her that I was NOT looking to flip it and make money off of it.. But that I was VERY interested in making it into that same fun buggy that she had enjoyed with her family for all those years.. That I looked forward to enjoying it for many years to come with my kids (5-1/2 year old daughter, and 4 year old son).. So we worked out a deal and I brought her home... Been working on cleaning it up over the last couple weeks and she is coming back to life nicely!!!

Here is how she looked when I uncovered her...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And this is how she is looking now..

I am AMAZED at how good the fiberglass has held up on this buggy for being at least 35 years old (since I don't know exactly when it was built into a buggy).. There is not a crack or repair on the thing...

I still need to get the front Centerline style wheels to match the rears.. and I have a few more things to clean up on the engine.. But I am hoping to get it fired and see how she runs in the next couple weeks.. But we are in the process of moving right now as well.. So I think my free time to spend on the buggy is almost over.. She's getting there though!! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I know that you would rather have the wheels match, but those bowtie hubcaps look OK!
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Nice. I know that you would rather have the wheels match, but those bowtie hubcaps look OK!

I actually have the full matching set of Chevy wheels and caps.. But something about having Chevy wheels on it just doesn't seem quite right!! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chevvy wheels are ok, just not hubcaps with bowtie.... Maybe baby moons...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
laughlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use to clean that up for such a great shine.
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughlin wrote:
What did you use to clean that up for such a great shine.

I actually just used Turtle Wax "buffing compound" paste.. And then followed that up with Turtle Wax "Polishing compound" paste. Each one I did with a small 5" orbital buffer. I think it would actually shine up even more if I used more of a "high-speed" buffer. But I'm happy with how it looks so far... 😁
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another updated picture.. Finally got the front wheels and tires mounted...

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Love the bubbles up front.

The front bumper appears to have been smacked into at some time, its mount section should extend forward in a level attitude similar to the pic below.

phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Looks great! Love the bubbles up front.

The front bumper appears to have been smacked into at some time, its mount section should extend forward in a level attitude. It actually appears to be a genuine Meyers Manx bumper.

Thanks!! I am REALLY happy with the way it is coming together...

Also, you are correct about the bumper.. It was actually bent all the way up touching the body when I go it.. I bent it down a little by hand to get it off the body, but will need to do a little more "convincing" to get it down into the correct position... and I have NO idea about it being a genuine Meyers Manx bumper... Any way to tell for sure??
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought the big loop on yours was attached above the lower loop like on a Manx bumper. Most buggy bumpers now have it flipped like in the pic below. The other way to tell a genuine Meyers Manx bumper is that the front of the bumper tubes are always smooth curves which follow the line on the front edge of the hood, not blunt points

I looked closer at your picture and can see you have the type of bumper that clamps to the beam. The Manx bumper mounts were just tabs that were welded to the lower torsion tube as on the yellow Manx.
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah... mine mounts by clamping to the beam.. Oh well...
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much else new to report on the buggy (since I recently moved and the buggy was in storage), but I am now making some progress on a new engine.. I decided that the old original 40 horse was just not worth putting a bunch of time or money into.. Especially since who knows how many miles it actually has on it since 1962, and I knew I wanted something a little bigger eventually anyway.. So I figured, just do it now while the car is in storage.. The new engine is a 1641cc with dual 34 ICT carbs.. I also upgraded to an alternator (to switch the car over to 12v), an 009 distributor with petronix unit, and a new ceramic coated exhaust... Can't wait to get it going and actually be able to take it for a drive again...

Here is the old original 40 horse...

And here is the new engine so far.. Still getting it all together, but it is getting there...

impaleale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! You won't notice a real power difference till the engine is fully broke in. When I drove mine for the first time I thought "this 1914cc is weak!". It should be a lot of fun!
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a little bit more progress done over the last couple weeks... Quite a few things that you can't see (like re-doing the complete brake system, fuel system, some wiring issues, etc).. and a few things that are visible, including getting my two "wake boards" mounted to the roll bar and windshield so they will stay there.. Nice thing is though, that I fabbed up a couple brackets to hook them into the windshield track (normally used for the vinyl top) and then used some 2" conduit straps to hold them down to the roll bar.. So a couple screws and I can take them off without any damage to the car... And lastly, I finally got the engine in the car.. Need to finish up the fuel lines, Oil filter lines, and some more wiring still.. but hoping to wrap that up this weekend...

daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the idea of the wake boards as a sun screen.!
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daanbc wrote:

Thanks.. It kind of happened by accident.. I was thinking a surfboard or something would be a kind of cool prop for up there.. but I came across these two wake boards for $8 at a garage sale and they fit perfect... Here is a better pic that shows the boards..

daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil fox wrote:
daanbc wrote:

Thanks.. It kind of happened by accident.. I was thinking a surfboard or something would be a kind of cool prop for up there.. but I came across these two wake boards for $8 at a garage sale and they fit perfect... Here is a better pic that shows the boards..

Yeah I like that. I wish I would have thought of that before I spent the $ for a targa top. Heck, I may still do it.! I wonder how two short boards would look?
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daanbc wrote:
I wonder how two short boards would look?

Check your local Costco.. the one near me has some short like 5' boards right now for I think $40-50 each.. If I hadn't found these wake boards cheap, I would be going that route probably..
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil fox wrote:
daanbc wrote:
I wonder how two short boards would look?

Check your local Costco.. the one near me has some short like 5' boards right now for I think $40-50 each.. If I hadn't found these wake boards cheap, I would be going that route probably..

Thanks, already have been checking out the local graigslist.
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the new larger flag pole mounted this weekend, so I can run my full sized flag!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: