Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 sunroof. 1/4" from flush. Part upside down?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: 67 sunroof. 1/4" from flush. Part upside down? Reply with quote

My sunroof does not seat all the way up. It's about a 1/4" short. Someone in another old thread said it was from some part in the re-assembly that had been put in upside down.

Anyone know which part that is? Or what else might be causing this?

I had the seals replaced by a local shop that (I learned later) "sort" of knew what they were doing. Hoping they would fix the problem on reassembly. But no such luck. It came back with the same problem. Doesn't leak anymore. But it's still a 1/4" from setting flush with the roof. I need to get it fixed again (at another shop where I know, they know, what they are doing). And I want to be able to show them in the manual exactly what is going on.

I researched this a few months back. But lost the link to the thread that mentioned it. It was an obscure thread and mentioned someplace deep within it. And I can't find it now.

Thanks for any help anyone might have.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.net/how-to-articles/1967-vw-beetle-sunroof-rebuild/

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589595
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Phil. I have those links. But was hoping to find the actual part that can be put in upside down that causes the sunroof from closing all the way? This will be the second time I take this in to get fixed. And I really want to hit them over the head with which part needs flipped.

Any idea what part this is?

I've had three back surgeries or I would simply pull it apart myself and diagnose it. Getting old sucks. Wink
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-Are you saying you can drive the sunroof lid all the way forward with the handle until the rear edge ramps up to closed position, but the whole lid is still 1/4" low Question
In that case, suppose there might be a guide installed upside down, or perhaps a knurled spacer is on the wrong sides of the guides?
Hard to imagine and don't have one apart in front of me, so...
can only guess.
This is only a parts catalog image, so some parts like the knurled spacer nuts are not shown in actual assembly order...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2-Or, when you drive the roof all the way forward with the handle it stops but the back of the lid does not ramp up into closed position Question
This can be caused by the gear and cables being out of sync with each other maybe only requiring a simple re-sync adjustment.

How about some pictures?
Outside with the lid fully closed, and from inside with the headliner panel pulled down and pushed back to expose the mounting/adjusting hardware please Smile

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
1-Are you saying you can drive the sunroof lid all the way forward with the handle until the rear edge ramps up to closed position, but the whole lid is still 1/4" low Question
In that case, suppose there might be a guide installed upside down, or perhaps a knurled spacer is on the wrong sides of the guides?
Hard to imagine and don't have one apart in front of me, so...
can only guess.
This is only a parts catalog image, so some parts like the knurled spacer nuts are not shown in actual assembly order...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2-Or, when you drive the roof all the way forward with the handle it stops but the back of the lid does not ramp up into closed position Question
This can be caused by the gear and cables being out of sync with each other maybe only requiring a simple re-sync adjustment.

How about some pictures?
Outside with the lid fully closed, and from inside with the headliner panel pulled down and pushed back to expose the mounting/adjusting hardware please Smile

The current situation is #1. It slides all the way forward. But when the back lifts up to get flush with the roof. It stops a 1/4" low.

I'll try to get some pics this evening.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh, that almost sounds more like #2 Confused

Anyway, if it runs all the way forward and you feel the handle/regulator stop first, that can be caused by the regulators built in internal full closed/stop position being out of sync with the lid.
When so, the regulator/drive gear will stop turning before the cables have run far enough to lift it all the way up at the rear.

If that is the case, to roughly re-sync the regulator to the roof, try running the roof all the way forward, making sure the front edge of the lid is square to the roof opening.
Then take the regulator out, turn the handle backwards/opening direction two to three turns, then put it back in and tighten the screws down.
Now install handle and turn in closing direction to see if the roof will run any more forward and lift the rear edge.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Jondoekauai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your cables need to be adjusted. There are two mechanisms with adjusting screws on either side at the back of the panel. The Bentley manual has good info on how to do it. It's not hard you can sit in your seat while you do it. If it closes all of the way but doesn't lift all of the way to flush that's most likely the issue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: