Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new to Tennis. What to look for in a Racquet?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: new to Tennis. What to look for in a Racquet? Reply with quote

So my kid(11) won a Racquet at school. Its a Wilson Tour Slam stop shock black and yellow. He has had 8 lessons and he enjoys it.

I have never taken lessons but have played a few times years ago.
My goal is to find a Racquet that wont break the bank and will last me for awhile. Any ideas or places to look?
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you are serious, go to a GOOD tennis/racquet-sport shop. First, find your grip size, then find a racquet that is geared towards a beginner, offering good control, and get it strung properly, I found that lesser tension always provided me better control with most/but not all racquets, but that was based upon my style of play (serve & volley) you may have to experiment with tensions & strings, don't buy a prestrung racquet. but if you are uncertain if you will play much or for very long - none of the above applies.
In fact, if you kid is taking lessons, just has the instructor for a recommendation.
barfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the most i would play is once a week.
It looks like my grip is 4 1/2 by measuring it
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played tennis for decades, a mid-B player, play in city leagues.

Until one gets to the VERY top, racket type is relative minor factor. I use a mid-size, and at my level I simply adjust to the racket.

So I'd say if buying new, should be able to find racket under $50 already strung at Big 5 or Walmart/Target. Or go to Goodwill and get one for $4, which works out to $2 every other Saturday when it's half-price day.

For grip size, best if when you grip it that the gap is about the width of your index finger. Typical grips are 4 3/8 and 4 1/2 inch size, most state that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For beginners, plenty of mid-size ones at Walmart. As beginner, you WILL scratch the crap out of it. I would not recommend professional-grade rackets to start into the game.

I took lessons for a year...back in the day when I was really into tennis. I inherited some old rackets my neighbor gave me and I used that for a long time. By the time I took lessons, I had a decent forehand and mean double-backhand. My serve was a mix between Ivan Lendl and John McEnroe... Very Happy

When I became Advanced Player, I moved to the Dunlop Max200G -2 units w/ Gamma Gut strings 65 lbs. Same racket used by Stefi Graf and McEnroe.

I did not like the oversized rackets -I could not feel the damn ball when it hit. I love the midsize - plenty of 'feel' and control for me.

I would recommend getting a hitting partner and work out your volleys, forehand, back.

You will eventually advance, but once a week is not going to cut it. You gotta be there EVERYDAY! At least 2-3 hours of ground strokes. Don't worry about the lines, let the ball come down where ever -concentrate on your strokes. As you gain more control of the ball, they will stay inside.

It is a fun game. When you are ready for better rackets several brands... Babolat, Prince, Dunlop, Yonex, Head, not sure if Wilson got any good rackets. I do not even know what is out anymore.

Now if your tennis partner is a woman and 'top-heavy', you might get distracted. Laughing

peace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood for control. Metal for power.

Geoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: