Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Byron's Barn Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisMac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a blast going through this entire thread. Very happy for you and the ovals.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisMac wrote:
Just had a blast going through this entire thread. Very happy for you and the ovals.

thanks so much for reading; I'm glad you enjoyed it. I myself am working my way through VW38 found in Lithuania in the split window forum. I love reading this stuff!

And, yes, 25x20 is going to be tight but that's all I can afford now so that's what it will be! I've seen European guys in the Ghia forum doing full body-off restorations in rooms just a little bigger than my closet. How do they do this? I'll just have to be super organized I guess.

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChrisMac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
And, yes, 25x20 is going to be tight but that's all I can afford now so that's what it will be! I've seen European guys in the Ghia forum doing full body-off restorations in rooms just a little bigger than my closet. How do they do this? I'll just have to be super organized I guess.

byron

Heck, my garage is only 18X20. It's tight, but has worked fine so far
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20x25 is plenty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
20x25 is plenty

it would be if you were working in metric Laughing

I've got 18 by 20' and can't fit in all my crap let alone the cars... but then I've got a touch of hoarder in me...

instead of wrapping the car in a tarp, can I suggest cutting some saplings and making a tent over it. it mightn't be so bad for very short term in cold weather, but tarping cars is really bad for them.

unfortunately I'd heard how bad tarping a car long term is but still did it, cause that'll never happen to me... (I was young and stupider). now I've got twice the work, if it is worth doing at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Truth there. I went to look at a T-34 years ago, the guy selling it was very excited to show it. He was saying that it was a solid car, it was parked in his driveway wrapped up tight in a tarp...had been for years he said. Well you can guess what happened when he un-wrapped it! It was like a magic trick, the car's floor was mostly sitting, in flake form, on the bottom tarp and the rest of the car was almost as crunchy. He was clearly shocked and saddened. Lesson learned right there.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807

Last edited by bobnorman on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
^^ Truth there. I went to look at a T-34 years ago, the guy selling it was very excited to show it. He was saying that it was a solid car, it was parked in his driveway wrapped up tight in a tarp...had been for years he said. We you can guess what happened when he un-wrapped it! It was like a magic trick, the car's floor was mostly sitting, in flake form, on the bottom tarp and the rest of the car was almost as crunchy. He was clearly shocked and saddened. Lesson learned right there.

That is good advice from all of you. Right now the barn find 57 has a loose tarp on it just to keep the rain off and she'll go in the new shop after the new year. Cinderella will go in our barn (ha ha) as well. I guess that's a step up since she was outside in the woods for 30 years.
1971 Baywindow Bus

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great finds !
I'd do a quick mechanical fix (brakes, engine, electrics)on the black barn car to get it running, since its patina look is just perfect as is. also you have got enough red donor seats and leatherette material in the other 2 cars to fix the 2 good ones.
Then I'd do the green one. it is a very special car, one owner, known history, direct link to the PO. all those accesories. these VDO gauges are pretty rare, even here in Europe. In 20 yrs of VW interest I have never seen a fully gauged orignal car like Cinderella. She's THE one. Kiss her to life !

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: i'm back Reply with quote

After a long wait to get my new shop in order, things are looking up. Got a 4 inch slab poured and the metal building up in February/March and here is the barn find in her new home (at least until I get her running).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course, the first thing I had to do was put four tires on it. I ordered these from Coker on a Monday and they arrived on Wednesday. Probably helps that Chattanooga is only 300 miles from Greenwood. Great service.

And then I decided to tackle the brakes first since it seems more important to be able to stop than to go. Plus I just got my bug-me video on brakes and it was so helpful. Here's what came out:

The only things to keep are the master cylinder mounting bolts.
Was shocked to find brake fluid still in there. I guess I could have just replaced the flexible hoses but I figured why take a chance. These parts cleaned up pretty well

And, like many folks here, I broke 2 18" breaker bars trying to get this bitch of an axle nut off. After the second bar broke, I ordered the torque meister. Should be in soon. I've read good comments about it. I'll let you know how it goes. I've read my bolts won't be long enough; maybe I can borrow a couple from my 71 Karmann Ghia? comments?

So I decided to do something that didn't involve buying a 70 dollar tool.

What should I coat these with after I get them as clean as possible? Wax?

And then I took my headlights apart for a clean up and especially to clean all the electrical contacts. Here is a sample 'before' pic:

They cleaned up amazingly well. And finally, I discovered that wax on means paint off. I had no idea so much pigment would come off. guess I won't be doing THIS again. And this is just from half the hood.

I'll update everyone as something interesting happens. After spending all week reading LT's 57 restoration, I feel like I should just delete this entire thread and crawl into a hole somewhere. And the new garage is big enough for Cinderella. She gets a spot soon. Thanks for reading.

Byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byron...don't throw out that master too quickly! Screw terminal brake light switches are REALLY hard to find that work. Test the switch first before buying a new one. I also rebuild original master cylinders before using cheap Chinese crap Laughing If the bore is in decent shape that is...and since you said you still had brake fluid in yours, you might be surprised when you crack it open.
Yes, buffing...either by hand or machine, means removing dry surface paint. With the condition of your black car...you might have enough there to keep it black. Some of us LIKE the look where paint fades into the primer...so don't be afraid if that happens. Shop looks GREAT!!
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the spacers for the master cylinder bolts.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubmyk wrote:
Don't forget the spacers for the master cylinder bolts.

Thanks for the reminder. Didn't know about them until you posted that. So I was a good boy and used the search function to find out all about them.

Well, my torquemeister arrived and I was a little disappointed in that the gears would not mesh completely. Seemed to me that everything was a little loosey-goosey and the small gear would jump out of the teeth on the part bolted to the wheel. I did read about others who have had this problem also. And then there are the hundred other guys who swear by this tool. So here is what I did:

Used it like the slugger tool. Torquemeister--$70. Slugger--$7. I'm an idiot. But the nuts did come off so I am a happy idiot.

Cleaned up some brake parts too. I'll buy new wheel cylinders but I cleaned it up anyway to see what it looked like. I love spending time at my wire wheel bench grinder watching things come back from the dead.

And here is a rear wheel after clean up.

Cleaned everything up, mopped my new shop floor and got a beer out of my shop fridge. It was a good day.

Byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wish I were one of those hundred other guys for which the torquemeister worked with the brake drum adapters, as well, but I had the same experience as you. I suspect it has to do with differences between the original 'Torquemeister' and these newer 'Torque Buddies' (or whatever they're called now). I was going to recommend the slugger when I saw your post before, but you had already ordered the torque tool.

It does still work well with flywheels, though, so I guess there's that. Rolling Eyes

If I were you, I'd go ahead and get one of the slugger tools for brake drums and reserve the torque tool for flywheels.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my parts order in and the rear wheels look a little different now. I know there are a million pictures like this in the gallery but I'm proud of my first brake job!

The old shoes had about as much pad left on them as these new ones but I figured it's better to just replace all of it and not worry about 30 year old brake shoes. Who wants to worry about that every time you step on the brakes? And that blue seal has let one drop of fluid come out in the past week. Is that too much? Should I replace all that or just not worry about it?

And also started replacing the axle boots; what a messy job and I'm now very well versed on the intricacies of where the seam goes: 10 and 2 or 9 and 3. Only found 2 pages of arguments and other details on the 58-67 forum. Sheesh.

Started on the front brakes by continuing a good cleaning of everything under there. Most of it was very well protected by 50 years of dirt and grease.

Didn't get too far because I ordered the correct wheel cylinders for a '57 and they don't fit because those are 2 bolt cylinders. Look what came out of this car:

I should have looked more carefully and it would have saved some time and shipping costs. Why would this car have 58 and later one bolt cylinders? Perhaps po Frank replaced all this at some point? Would it have come from the factory like this? I'll just have to pay more attention in the future.

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

dmcglynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're making me jealous - I'd love to be making the same progress with mine!

I'm by no means an authority, but given all the "customizations" I'm finding on mine, I think people changing out wheel-cylinders like that isn't uncommon. Given the abundance of part compatibility, I can easily see someone being at a parts-counter and simply buying a cheaper compatible part when given the choice by the guy behind the counter.

Oh, and I completely agree with you with cleaning up stuff on the wire-wheel! Just don't breathe too much of that dust!

Nice work, Byron.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment. I think you are right about customization-especially with this previous owner. Frank collected all kinds of cars and tractors and had several buildings full of spare parts and junk. But I was also wondering what the chances are that it came from the factory that way since mine is a very late 57. Would new model parts have come to the assembly line all at once or dribbled in as they became available?
1971 Baywindow Bus

Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making slow progress on the cleanup of this car. I go to the shop every day after work for an hour or so, lie down under the engine with my scrapers and brushes and wind up with another gallon of road grime on the floor when I'm done. Will it never end?

Fixed my clogged fuel line! I wish I could take credit for this:

equal parts gas and sea foam and my garden sprayer hooked up to the gas line in the front. Gave it a few pumps and look what came out:

followed by:

Wish I could remember who came up with this idea (if it was you, please chime in and take credit) but it worked like a charm. Ran a couple of pints of the mixture through until it came out the back clean. So glad I don't have to replace that fuel line! Just another instance of this car wanting to get back on the road.

Decided to start on the rust on the back of the bumpers and look what happened (the shiny spot):

Hate it when that happens.

And took the heater hoses out and started in on them:

Don't know if they'll ever flex again but they do look better than before. I should have done a before pic but imagine lots of thick greasy road grime and rust mixed together and you get the idea.

And finally, I had a friend scan some of the brochure covers that Frank collected back in the day and took the thumb drive to Office Max and they made 16x20 glossy prints for my man cave/shop. Turned out nice.

And, yes, I know the beetle print is from 1960. Just cut me some slack please. Very Happy

My buddy who has forgotten more about aircooled vw's than i'll ever know is coming over Monday to help me (actually I'll help him) drop the engine. I'm concerned that there may be rat's nests under the fan shroud and who knows what may be clogging that oil cooler. More news after that. Happy Memorial Day everyone.

Byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you have made a TON of progress Byron! You can chance that fuel line front to rear if you want...but it really isn't that hard to replace. I'll tell you from experience, WHEN that line rusts out, it takes forever to get the fuel smell out of the cabin. I did the line in my 62' with my son when he was 5.
dmcglynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to post a THANK YOU to vdubmyk as well - I didn't realize that there were master-cylinder fastener spacers in the crossmember. Read it here, then went out to the garage and fished them out!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those homemade posters are a great idea! Might do some myself.

Car is coming along nicely. Lots of rewarding progress so far, nice to see. Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: