Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Rabbit Diesel Truck Value?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jared2880
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: 1980 Rabbit Diesel Truck Value? Reply with quote

I have a 1980 Rabbit Diesel Truck with no rust on the body and 70,000 on the engine. Interior isn't the greatest, but pretty good. Any idea on the value? I see a lot of 81's but not really 80' for sale. I was told that someone saw a truck like this go for $12,000 out in California......that seems kind of far fetched though.

Thanks
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to be in excellent condition and upgraded to pull in that kind of bank. I don't think the year will give any real premium in value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in western Maryland I looked at one recently that sold for $1,500. and was repainted , ran well and just "good" overall. That was just locally advertised so maybe he could have gotten more if nationally advertised.

I know the diesel cars are not getting what they used to get since I have an excellent condition Jetta diesel that has gotten almost no attention and it's advertised here in the Samba : (

When fuel was $4.00 to $5.00 a gallon diesels were really hot. Now I'm not so sure.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having currently owned one, I've kept an eye on the market for about 20 years and the highest I've seen one sell for was about $12k on ebay (yes sold) and that truck was restored and upgraded as glutamodo mentioned. I personally think that was too high for that truck, but the buyer was willing to pay.

Even so, here in CA they sell for $500 to about $6k max for near show condition. Elsewhere around the country is probably the same however they seem to have a lot more rust issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jdub1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Caddy Reply with quote

I got a Caddy for $1500 that is a daily driver in "good" condition, diesel with 5 spd.

Keys to price increases are:
Turbo
5 spd
fresh interior
fresh mechanicals

NA diesel with 4 spd means it's gutless and you have to rev it out just to keep momentum as you shift....not the best for drivability.

And the key is finding that buyer that is hungry for the uniqueness of a Caddy.

Good Luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: