Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing paint colour on stock beetle?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you paint your stock car in a different but correct colour?
Absolutely not
49%
 49%  [ 25 ]
Definitely
41%
 41%  [ 21 ]
Not sure
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 51

Pricivius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Changing paint colour on stock beetle? Reply with quote

I would be grateful for any opinions...

I love my car, but I hate the colour. Sadly, it is the original colour. If I could swap it, I would but as we all know, that's unlikely to be an option!

Would anyone consider changing the colour of their split/zwitter? I don't mean painting it lime green or barbie pink, but to a correct colour for the model and year, albeit not correct for their actual car.

I appreciate it won't win concourse in the "wrong" colour but that doesn't hugely bother me.

I'm genuinely torn. I don't want to sell it, but it will never be my dream car in its current shade.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, why not?
It´s not the Sistine Chapel that you repaint at your own taste.
If the car was build some hours later it might have gotten the color you like. So just put it on.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing paint colour on stock beetle? Reply with quote

Pricivius wrote:
I would be grateful for any opinions...

I love my car, but I hate the colour. Sadly, it is the original colour. If I could swap it, I would but as we all know, that's unlikely to be an option!

Would anyone consider changing the colour of their split/zwitter? I don't mean painting it lime green or barbie pink, but to a correct colour for the model and year, albeit not correct for their actual car.

I appreciate it won't win concourse in the "wrong" colour but that doesn't hugely bother me.

I'm genuinely torn. I don't want to sell it, but it will never be my dream car in its current shade.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

I'm changing mine! The original color is nothing I'd enjoy looking at, much less driving. What is your car's original color?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pricivius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's help so far...

It's pastel green.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change it if you want.
But what is wrong with pastell green?
I´m usually not a big friend of greens but that one I like a lot.
Pricivius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked green, I'm afraid. My gran was hugely superstitious and green always meant bad luck to her...

I'm much more comfortable with monochrome - my whole house is white, black and greys...!
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if it is a numbers matching body engine etc., it should be restored to the original color because it retains the value. I think that holds true especially if you are doing a concourse restoration. If it is not an all original car, then I would paint it a model year correct color. Just my opinion! Very Happy
My current project, a '53 Zwitter, was originally Pearl Gray but, I am going to paint it Jupiter Gray. It was a basket case when I bought it. I am also building an old speed 36 dual carb motor for it. In any case good luck with yours!
'63 OG 117
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the interior paint is in excellent condition I would leave it the original colour it really part of its history somebody kept it clean and age caught up to the exterior really something to consider when purchasing a classic car
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66 dormi wrote:
If the interior paint is in excellent condition I would leave it the original colour it really part of its history somebody kept it clean and age caught up to the exterior really something to consider when purchasing a classic car
ditto this.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my split is L90 sand. not really my favorite color comparing to black or burgundy red or even green but i would never change its color. birth certificate states L90, stayed like that its whole time, although repainted white at some point.

if you want another color then start searching for one Laughing
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paint is.... well..... just paint. Smile
If you really really really can't like your car because it's not your fav color and you become worried that you might higly likely be ending up at the shrink, then do something about it (and with that I mean respray the car Razz before you try anything else).
Unless it's that once in a lifetime super original paint untouched never resprayed patina rich superb looking factory paint job that still shows its stock factory quality shine after all these years.
And...unless your fav color happens to be bright pink.
Oh, and (almost any) paint is better than original rust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pricivius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments and voting.

To clarify, my zwitter was restored in 1990ish so we are not looking at original paint, but it is the original colour. As for the rest, it is matching numbers, but with a few incorrect bits. However, I am very far from an expert so I'm not really sure how wrong it is! For example:

- it has smooth semaphores so wrong, but this can be rectified.

- the upholstery is wrong, but again can be rectified.

- I *think* the running boards are wrong...

- should it have a small entrance to the fuel tank as it has a large entrance?

Other than that, I don't know what else might be wrong...

Thanks again.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not original paint then definitely I would repaint it an original color. I would only hesitate if it was still the original paint and in decent condition.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the only reason to paint it the original colour that you hate is for future resale value.
Since the colour doesn't permanently harm the car, paint it any colour you like. It can always be put back by a future owner, just like you can always put in the correct semaphores now.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that in order to respray and have it look good you will have to remove all of the glass and rubber, chrome and lights.
If you are respraying the inside then the door panels will have to come off as well everything on the dash and parts of the headliner around the door will need to be pulled back so it won't get painted. If you don't want any of the original paint to show anywhere then you will have to pull the engine, gas tank, disconnect and remove parts of the wiring harness and probably the fenders.

If you are just going to respray the outside then just the windows, lights, chrome and trim will need to be removed.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld

Last edited by splitjunkie on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love pastel green . but then again i like green . if you hate it change it but use a color used that year that you like. i hate cars re-painted a non correct color myself. and the whole green is unlucky is crap ! my fist car (chevy) was green and i have lived a blessed life !
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the original paint had all been blasted off years ago, the original paint color was unappealing and the birth certificate didn't list the paint code?
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal preference is to restore back to original. I get great satifaction at looking at the finished product knowing that is how it was on the lot when new. Stranger yet, I purchased several period correct accessories I was going to put on my zwitter and now...I can't, it just doesn't feel right. After years of finding the coorect parts with correct markings etc., putting something other than that which would have been on the car just doesn't feel right. It's an obsession. Maybe I need to check into the Henry Ford clinic. Plus, Nancy Lorntson lives close by, whom is always eager and willing to point out an "incorrectness". Wink Very Happy
Pricivius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
What if the original paint had all been blasted off years ago, the original paint color was unappealing and the birth certificate didn't list the paint code?

I agree, Alan. Unfortunately, the UK is small and they aren't many zwitters. My car is pretty well known in the VW community so everyone knows it's supposed to be pastel green. Maybe I should just change the number plate and pretend it's a totally new car...!
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an all-original, untouched '57 sunroof car that needed to be restored but I didn't like the original color. I sold it. I have kicked myself in the ass on that deal SO many times! At the end of the day, it's your car and my advice to you is to do what you want to do with it. Even if that's painting it Barbie Pink. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: