Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ethanol free gas locations
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turdmucklydunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Ethanol free gas locations Reply with quote

I know there are 4 threads that list this website but it hasn't been posted in this forum. I run ethanol free gas as much as I possibly can in my bug. Everytime I get out of the big city I take several gas cans with me and fill them up at one of the stations for my bug and equipment around my place. They even have an Iphone app now to find them listed nearest to farthest. Scroll to the bottom of the webpage and click on your state for all the listing.
http://pure-gas.org/
bruce jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great information, thanks for posting. I have to wonder how long we will still be able to buy ethanol-free gas.
Chris659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sunoccos here in Florida sell it labeled as r90 I think...

Once I get my car on the road again I want to try using it to see if it makes a difference
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turdmucklydunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruce jones wrote:
This is great information, thanks for posting. I have to wonder how long we will still be able to buy ethanol-free gas.

I was wondering the exact same thing yesterday as I was posting it. I know the gas stations that sell pure gas are very proud, some posting big signs that they are ethanol free. But you have to wonder when the government is once again going to bring the hammer down.

I heard heard a couple of years back that when gas with ethanol sits for a prolonged time that is collects moisture. Then yesterday a buddy posted a video that pretty much convinced me. Thats what made think about posting the link. Here is the link to the video. It has more content than just the gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhwAttYaTBM
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what is the "premium" for pure gas over ethanol flavored gas? Just curious as there are no pure gas stations near where I live.
Turdmucklydunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the places seem to be about 5 cents more but I think that is mostly because they are in more rural areas where gas is usually more expensive anyway.
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that ain't bad. Too bad none around here, i noticed that most providers were in rural locations, here in the DC metro the closest providers where in southern/western VA, southern MD & eastern shore. Closest to looks like Charles Town, WV 27+ miles away. I'd easily by 5-10 cents per for pure gas.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys must live in a cave. Around here the big super stations have both pure gas and e10 or e15 gas on the same pump. Just select which you want and fill 'r up. Pure gas cost .08-.10 more.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two local stations that sell pure gas, premium only, and it runs twenty cents more per gallon than ethanol blended premium. I have no problem running ethanol blended fuel in my air-cooled VW's, in fact, they seem to like it. You may need to open up the main jet slightly, as the engine will tend to run slightly lean on ethanol.

Ethanol is hydroscopic (I think that's the word) which means it attracts moisture. If left alone, that can be a problem. But if you drive your VW daily and burn through a tank of fuel in less than a month, it won't be an issue.

Ethanol blended fuels separate over the course of a couple of months, and will not re-blend. Fuel additives like Star-Tron help to keep that from happening.

I run ethanol fuel in my vehicles that are driven regularly, and non-ethanol premium in my small engines, specifically two-strokes such as my chain saw. If any of those engines will sit idle for any length of time, they either get the carb drained or a healthy dose of the proper fuel treatment.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the sign you want to look for when you want to buy pure gas.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Actually, I'm being an imp by confusing the issue. Pure Oil was a gasoline producer until Union Oil Company of California purchased the company in 1965. By 1970 the Pure Oil name had been phased out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resurrecting this older thread so that I can share an insightful article from Autoweek, written by Jay Leno:
http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/jay-leno-hates-ethanol

And here is the link to a site listing ethanol free gas stations
http://pure-gas.org

I go out of my way to fill up my air-cooled VWs with pure gasoline - and fill up several canisters while I'm there to take home.
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to blame ethanol every time I replace a fuel line or pump diaphram, but I replaced just as many fuel lines and diaphrams before we got ethanol fuel 30 years ago.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your Gas station chains carefully. Many have a model they follow.
Here in Iowa....one of the ethanol bastions of the USA....certain companies all through the Midwest pretty much follow the same model.

For instance....no matter where I go in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa....some parts of Illinois so far.....Phillips 66 and a few other chains...like have as others have mentioned run ethanol on the regular and midgrades and no ethanol on the premium.
Its rare that I have to fill up with anything with Ethanol.

However...in certain large cities that have pollution problems (most specifically ozone) and have been targeted by the EPA over the last decade or so....like Dallas and Houston....you will not be able to buy non-ethanol fuels within the city limits proper. Sometimes this extends through large suburbs surrounding large interstates like the I-35 and I-45 corridors.....but you can buy it in a lot of the burbs.

I can tell you that Connecticut sucked for getting good fuel when I was there last year for a couple months. Yes...Sunoco has nice high octane fuel...but everything has ethanol in it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I would really like to blame ethanol every time I replace a fuel line or pump diaphram, but I replaced just as many fuel lines and diaphrams before we got ethanol fuel 30 years ago.

interesting....so you don't think ethanol damages fuel lines and diaphrams?
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Here in Iowa....one of the ethanol bastions of the USA....certain companies all through the Midwest pretty much follow the same model.

For instance....no matter where I go in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa....some parts of Illinois so far.....Phillips 66 and a few other chains...like have as others have mentioned run ethanol on the regular and midgrades and no ethanol on the premium.

However...in certain large cities that have pollution problems (most specifically ozone) and have been targeted by the EPA over the last decade or so....like Dallas and Houston....you will not be able to buy non-ethanol fuels within the city limits proper. Sometimes this extends through large suburbs surrounding large interstates like the I-35 and I-45 corridors.....but you can buy it in a lot of the burbs.

I can tell you that Connecticut sucked for getting good fuel when I was there last year for a couple months. Yes...Sunoco has nice high octane fuel...but everything has ethanol in it. Ray

I have found that in MN and the Dakotas, often they have "regular" 87 octane fuel with no ethanol right next to ethanol blended 89 or 90 octane fuel for the same price. I buy the 87 regular and my truck runs much better. Unfortunately, (maybe?) I don't live there, I only visit occasionally.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

interesting....so you don't think ethanol damages fuel lines and diaphrams?

I think not using the vehicle regularly damages fuel lines and pump diaphrams.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Molly1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this!
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in doubt go to an airport or marina to get ethanol free.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every gas station around hear charges for the ethonol in the gas if it has any. none are free.I wish it was.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

I have found that in MN and the Dakotas, often they have "regular" 87 octane fuel with no ethanol right next to ethanol blended 89 or 90 octane fuel for the same price. I buy the 87 regular and my truck runs much better. Unfortunately, (maybe?) I don't live there, I only visit occasionally.

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg
Loved that dude!!!!!
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: