Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AvPro ECM
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Superbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: AvPro ECM Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad I had my ECM (out of a 93 mazda B2600i) sent off to AVPROECM to have it rebuilt. I payed them the $190 (about all my money) and they had it back quite quick. I stuck it in my pickup and it would not work then it went up in smoke. I have tested (or replaced) everything (wires, sensors, fuel pump, main relay and checked every wire).
I contacted AVPROECM and they will not warranty it (although they told me it has a lifetime warranty when I first shipped it off to them). Although they said they would rebuild it for me for a $190 Mad

I took the case off of the ECM and there is a 3.9 ohm 1W (3R9J) resister that burned up. I'm ordering one and I'm going to solder it in my self. I should have done this to start with, I didn't know AVPROECM would just take my money and not fix it.

To fix this your self it will cost under $45.00, OR buy one from some other company because Avpro will only rip you off.

Here is what you need to do it your self
Spray sealant $10
Acetone $10
Capacitors $0.20
Solder (roll) $5
Soldering iron (adjustable temp) $18

Good luck and avoid AVPROECM
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPs location is Burns Kansas, how appropriate. Laughing
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to note, repairing the resistor may or may not fix the problem.
It let out the magic smoke when you got it back and plugged it in right? So whatever problem you were having before is probably still there (whether ECU or your wiring), the poof of smoke was your resistor going. Only replacing the resistor will likely result in another poof of magic smoke. Hope you bought a pack of 'em.
What are you doing with the capacitor, acetone, and spray sealant?

I've never dealt with AVPROECM, but their warranty info is on their website - http://www.avproecm.com/warranty_statement.htm
If they're not honoring that that's a shame.

btw, I don't know how rare those old Mazdas are or parts interchangeability, but I suspect an auto salvage yard would charge you less than $190 -- and some offer part warranties if it doesn't work (LKQ does).
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't personally think this is the place to post feedback for another make of vehicle as it appears they do not do any VW stuff?

I can see from a Google search you posted it elsewhere as well.

If you are asking for assistance here then fine, although I still feel like it would be better to post on B2600 site.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 on the resistor being a symptom, not a root cause.

I learned through my '95 Lexus that many ECUs of that era used capacitors that are doomed to fail. I don't know if there is an expert on the Mazda forum, but an electrical engineer who works for an ECU supplier has contributed many details about the Lexus ECU. In particular, you can't just use a capacitor from Radio Shack that matches the specs; you have to use a low ESR version from specific suppliers. If you're good with a soldering iron and use best practices, you can do it yourself. Otherwise buying one from a reputable supplier is the best option.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/656360-all-m...citor.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: