Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank questons
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is the tank that Brad has.
Thanks for posting pictures BL3.
For the Subaru power or any fuel injection, tank can be made to have a in tank pump.
Tank does have thick bosses on bottom for installing fittings if you need or want to use external fuel pump.
The fuel tank that is in the Kick Out SS did have to modified (shorten on top) because it interfered with the dash.
On the SS the dash sits further forward because of the curved windshield.
The tank does work (without mods) for the Manxter and any buggy that has a flat windshield.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great looking tank! Be nice to find out more information on it. Does the builder offer modified or custom versions? Some internal baffling in the lower sump area would be good to have. Any more details on the installation? How is it held in place? It appears to extend over the normal tank bolt-down locations.

Jeff
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSGuy,
If you need more information you need to contact Brad at Barnfab.com.
You can log in to his site or use the email I posted earlier in the thread.

I don't have any pictures or anymore information that what you see on here.

Brad can be quite busy at times so it may take a day or two for him to get back to you.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad contacted me and this is what he said:

Hi Tim,

Quote:
We sell a tank which fits a genuine Meyers Manx so I can't say for sure on anything other than that. The tank is 15 Gal Capacity, tig welded alloy. It comes fitted with fuel filler and bung plates which need to be drilled as required by the fitter.

Retail price is $525 + Tax is applicable and we carry them in stock.

I have attached a picture and the overview. Please note we have these in both left and right hand drive.

Cheers,

Brad
TurnKeyManx.com

Very nice tank and its the one that BL3 showed in his pictures. I sent a reply asking about fuel filler locations and such.

Thanks to everyone for the help! Thats what makes this place great!

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad emailed me with filler info and says that its in the top center, which is where my fuel opening in my hood is located. He said that it could be moved to a different location if needed for an additional 100. Very nice tank and I am seriously considering it. Maybe work a day or two of overtime Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

In regards to the tank etc they have been designed, made, tested and put in more than a few Manx buggies. If the SS was cutting out I would bet it had nothing to do with fuel supply from the tank and subie pump unless it was nearly empty. The internal sump design takes all that into account and it will run dry in most circumstances.

In regards to any other questions feel free to ask it isn't a black art it is just quality work being made available at what I think is an affordable price. I didn't setup to make a tank that fitted all the Manx Buggies, I made one for my Manxter and it just happened to fit my manx and then the kick-out and so on.

Inside the tank is a single area and it gets it baffle effect from the design. It is a bit hard to explain so here are some build pictures from the prototype.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like to design by building and above you will see my mock up. Unlike most I prefer to work with alloy not cardboard but that has more to do with what I have in the shop.

1st up I went much higher but had some issues when I put the filler and fuel pump in Rolling Eyes

When I had finished Wes fixed my mess and made a pretty 3D model so he could unfold it and make cut files for me.

Since then it has been refined further and checked in all Manx Models including my Manxter 2+2 with A-Arm and underslung pedals.

I have a Manxter coming in next week to have one fitted so when I do that I will do a write up and take detailed pictures. It is stock ball joint beam, no lift kit etc so will give a good idea of clearances.
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, thank you for the detailed pictures of the prototype and the process! I look forward to your pictures of the Manxter install.

I have a couple of questions.

The electric fuel pump has been mentioned. Is that included or is it an add on?

What is used for the tank level indicator and can it be used with a stock VW 68+ electric gauge?

How much clearance is there from the top of the tank to the average Manx hood where the fill is located?

Is it pretty much ready-to-go or are there additional items that need to be installed?

Thanks for the reply and your time! These tanks look great and well worth your asking price!

Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q - The electric fuel pump has been mentioned. Is that included or is it an add on?
A - It is an add on, we use the factory Subaru in tank with pump and sender as a solution. I have a fitting kit to suit and it is pretty easy to fit.

Q - What is used for the tank level indicator and can it be used with a stock VW 68+ electric gauge?
A - We offer a VDO Sender as an option. Off the top of my head I think it is around $100 supplied and fitted.

Q - How much clearance is there from the top of the tank to the average Manx hood where the fill is located?
A - About an inch

Q - Is it pretty much ready-to-go or are there additional items that need to be installed?
A - If you didn't want a fuel gauge then it is two drilling holes and tapping's away lol. The tank comes with blank bungs welded on with pilot holes. There are two on the bottom one on the top. To fit to a vw you simply drill these, tap them and put a barb in. This is for your fuel line out and breather. We don't drill and tap them stock as many people will want different fittings, barbs etc. That being said if someone got a tank and told me what they wanted I would happily drill and tap it for free. It is very simple.

C - Thanks for the reply and your time! These tanks look great and well worth your asking price!
R - Thanks we have tried to get it down to an acceptable price and keep the quality up where we want it.

Stock as supplied Top

Where the stock fuel gauge goes to fit into the tank. You can also see out blanking bungs which you would drill out for a breather.

Sender hole cut.

Anyway I am sure you get the point Very Happy
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: EFI VErsion Reply with quote

Here is the EFI setup going in :

RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, Brad! That fuel cap looks great too!

I ordered one today for Kermit. Like they say, cry once and never worry about it again. I'll take some pics when it arrives and when we install it.

Thanks for all the great advice from everyone!

Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:
Looks great, Brad! That fuel cap looks great too!

I ordered one today for Kermit. Like they say, cry once and never worry about it again. I'll take some pics when it arrives and when we install it.

Thanks for all the great advice from everyone!

Sweet I am sure you will be happy, they are a bit bigger than stock Smile

Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking gas tanks, wish they were around when i was building mine. It definiely have more gas than mine
My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tank looks amazing. Can I please ask how it is fixed down?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AuburnGrad93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, are the fuel tanks still available for the Manxter? I am gathering parts for a Manxter 2+2 build. If not, where do I find one? Thanks!
Darren
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AuburnGrad93 wrote:
Hi, are the fuel tanks still available for the Manxter? I am gathering parts for a Manxter 2+2 build. If not, where do I find one? Thanks!
Darren

Yep - http://www.themanxshop.com/index.php/tk-manx-alloy-fuel-tank-15-gal-approx-pre-release.html
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank questons Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures of how the filler pops up through the fiberglass hood? Does the cap stick up or is it flush to be under a lid etc.
To be clear, will it fit my 1968 Manx 1?
Thanks
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank questons Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
Do you have any pictures of how the filler pops up through the fiberglass hood? Does the cap stick up or is it flush to be under a lid etc.
To be clear, will it fit my 1968 Manx 1?
Thanks
Tony

I am using one of the TK's aluminum fuel tanks in the early Manx I am working on now. Here is a link to the build thread:

http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3746

Unless the design has been changed, the rear wall of the tank is set up for a Beetle angle, (buggy sits more of a forward tilt angle) and I had to remove the front lifting block to get it to fit. The fuel cap sits right below the bottom surface of the hood, so a trap door was used to access the cap.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: