Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sock flyer replacement reco?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Sock flyer replacement reco? Reply with quote

What's the solution for this one? I can' flush the tank, I'm working on the street. Double filters?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you can do....if you do it quietly so that the environmental detectives dont catch you.....is get an 8mm allen key with the short end cut down a little more....and an oil change tray....and remove the drain plug from the tank.
You will need a sheet of metal (preferably) or plastic cutting board sheet ($4 for a pack of 3 at Wal Mart)......because the fuel pouring out of the drain hole runs right on top of the lower subframe.......so you fold the plastic sheet to make kind of a funnel to bring the stream off to the side and drain into the oil catch basin.

When you finish draining what is left....you can now remove the large nut around the cuel knlet and outlet.
That twin tube assembly pulls out of the tank. The sock filter is right on the end of it.

Cut off that filter and do not replace it. Put an external mesh type fuel strainer filter inline before the real fuel filter outside of the tank. One of the glass type ones from Summit racing. ...as coarse of a mesh you can get. If you want to see what is the bottom of the tank, you can remove the fuel sending unit and look directly down at the inlet area with a flashlight. I have also used a can of carb cleaner with a tube to blast some of the crap out of the inlet tube hole. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those motorcycle filters had occurred to me but I was skittish, cuz glass.

I was just going to drain it from the lines at the big nut with a vice grip and a scrub bucket, no enviro cops, that's all good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: