Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Compressor/Blast cabinet recommendations
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Compressor/Blast cabinet recommendations Reply with quote

Hello,

I'd like to purchase a compressor and bench top blast cabinet. Since I'm sure you folks have lots of actual experience, can someone recommend a good combo? Looking to keep cost of both to less than $1,000.

Thanks.
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think you can do both for 1K but depending on where you are and local deals it is hard to say. I bought a TP Tools cabinet (with legs) and it was incredible for around $1200.00 it recommended a 3 phase (3 stage? Dunno the lingo) compressor but I made due with a Lowes 60 Gallon 1 stage comp, if you dont mind the comp coming on every 3-4 minutes than you will be fine.

I have ownded the Harbor Freight table top cabinet as well and for the money it keeps the media inside, however, Shocked You also need some way to evacuate the media dust, glass bead and others like that are very dusty so you will need a vacuum system that can be anywhere from $50 to 1K depending on how much work you will be doing. I am no help am I?

This is a pain in the butt for decent results and having been there(I am not a professional) but a DIY person, it can be very frustrating trying to get the biggest bang for the buck.

I also have a 30 gallon Craftsman that makes more noise and continuously runs to keep air in the tank, it works and that is it. I would encourage you to look into Craigs List to find any complete deals that wont break you.. Confused

The other thing to consider when buying a cabinet is the size, we all think we will be fine doing small stuff but it only takes a few jobs to realize that your cabinet is too small.

Here is an option, buy a Craftsman blaster you can take outside and make a mess with, nobody really uses sand anymore. Glass is expensive and in some cases you cannot recover it and use it again. If you go with a portable unit you can use a tarp under the job and recycle the stuff.

I am out of breath Smile

You can buy a 40-60 gallon comp for 3-$500 at Lowes and a small cabinet at Harbor Freight if you have one nearby, HF also has a stand up one for around $200 (must be assembled)

Hope this helps just a tad. The ideal depth and height, length of the cabinet is up to you. My favorite was 24" deep, 48 high and 5 feet wide. It is really hard to blast rims and such with limited room but it can be done.

Edited to add, you can do it for very cheap but you may end up spending more in the long run replacing things.
Bob

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY helpful, thanks. I truly am only going to use it for small stuff like carbs, fuel pumps, and other bits. I'm not restoring a car, but I like to buy, refurbish, and re-sell small parts. Keeps me entertained. I'm thinking that one of those soda blaster units would be what I need and I would use it outside. I'm just not sure if any of the 120 volt compressors would be enough for even one of those. My head spins after reading all about CFM's. If the only issue is that it would have to stop and refill more frequently, I'm ok with that. I also think the oil filled unit is best from what I have read.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you look...there are always deals on compressors and even blast cabs.
I got my 70 gallon 220V compressor for $225 at an estate sale. It is big enough to run any of my air tools. My first blast cabinet was $25 on craigslist. If you dont need to buy new, there is lots of opportunity, especially if you are handy.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there are always pretty good deals out there on these things, especially the compressor. I bought mine, a large two stage 5hp compressor, for only about a hundred dollars. The kick was that it was set up for a three phase electric motor (which is why nobody wanted to buy it). I put a brand new 210 volt heavy duty motor on it for a few hundred, then sold the three phase motor to help off set that cost.

All told I ended up with a few hundred bucks into a used but good and seriously heavy duty industrial compressor that will run just about anything I throw at it including a blast cabinet or pot blaster. It runs about 15-17 cfm depending on how close it is to its original specs. A good compressor will quickly become the heart of your shop.

I bought one of the earlier iterations of the stand up blast cabinet from harbor freight. It's okay since I caulked all seams while assembling it. Side load cabinets tend to make a mess every time you open the door. I recommend spending a few extra bucks on a top load cabinet.

If all you want is a bench top you could probably just make one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup look for used, but hear it run & drain tank to check for oil in the air. but as far as what to get?? big and bigger.you can always make your own blast cabnet. a sucker is nice to evacuate the dust fumes so you can see. I think my tank is 60 gal 5hp, it's not realy bigenough...but it does just fine if I let it.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I'm following this correctly and based on other things I have read, none of the 120v compressors available are powerful enough to run a media blast system. It seems like 220v is the only way to go, which would mean getting some wiring done in my garage. I'm going to have to re-think this....sounds like more of an undertaking than I had planned.

The only thing I saw that would work is a "pencil" blast cabinet from Cyclone. Only draws about 2 CFM.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks.
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this might be a little of a overkill for desktop projects but I use a nylon camping tent complete with screens on the "windows" and "door" for a sand blasting "room". All the sand is trapped inside on the built in floor and the sand is easy to reuse and the screens let the air out. I just reach in with the gun.

I hang the tent from a strong line from the ceiling in my shop.

I have a 5 hp 3 cylinder air compressor for shop tools but not enough CFM so I bought a well used jackhammer diesel compressor from a tool rental place that needed a little work, we never run out of air with that beast.

I've been using crushed walnut shells for the light duty and absidian (sp)
for the heavy duty
have fun but don't breath the dust.
cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd highly recommend something in the range of at least 5 hp if you want to sand (media) blast and that is going to be 220. It shouldn't be that big of a deal to get a plug wired for it.

That said, if you truly are just interested in running a small blaster for soda in a small or bench top cabinet you might be able to get by with the absolute largest 120v you can find. You can do a lot with the media and air nozzle sizes in most blast gun set ups. You can get and use small air and media nozzles. Having never tried to run that set up though I'm just guessing whether it would be effective. This will mean things will go more slowly as less air and media are coming out of the nozzle but it won't work your compressor as hard.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I'm thinking about for a compressor.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221

I'm thinking about combining it with a table top cabinet and figure out the best nozzle/media combo as suggested above.

I know I can get a cheaper compressor, but I want quality too.

What do you think?

Thanks for all the input so far.
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get most of my blasting stuff from tp tools and use their "skat blast" gun in my cabinet. The say their small air and media nozzle combo can run on 4-8 cfm. At 60+ psi. Generally speaking by lowering your pressure you get more flow (cfm) so I'd keep the pressure around 80psi. A 120v compressor should be able to provide that. Again, I've never run that set up. It may be frustratingly slow but it sounds possible.

Think garden hose vs. Fire hose vs. Squirt bottle. You could wash your car with any of the three, but if you use a squirt bottle it's going to take a while Laughing just like the hose analogy too much isn't usually ideal either, but it's easier to throttle back a higher capable compressor. Ya dig?

http://www.tptools.com/Skat-Blast-Replacement-Siphon-Air-Jets,283.html?b=d*8024

Even with a larger compressor and set up, sand blasting just kinda sucks and I avoid it when I can. I use paint strippers, cleaners, acids, and electrolysis instead of or before blasting cause blasting is just tedious and boring.

You need really DRY air for blasting particularly with soda. Invest in a good moisture trap.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ Something missing.......
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked your link and that compressor will do 5cfm at 90psi (and Ingersoll tends to be honest in its ratings). You might get 6 at 80psi. So yeah it should run a blaster with a small nozzle set up. Again, it may not be quick but it does fit the cfm spec for a SMALL blaster. I sure as heck wouldn't want to blast anything like a wheel with it Smile

I'll also say it one more time, I have not run that set up. On paper it should work though.
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, in that empty box I had written you a nice long post describing air nozzles and stuff. Oh well I'll hit the highlights again.

Think of it like a water hose. You can wash your car with a squirt gun, a garden hose, or a fire hose. Only one of them is really appropriate. You can use a squirt gun but it will take forever. You COULD use a fire hose but you might dent the car. A garden hose is just right.

Now if you're only washing a fuel pump or small part a squirt gun might not be so bad.

I get most of my blasting stuff from TP tools and run their SKAT BLAST gun in my cabinet and for my pot blaster. They spec the SMALL nozzle combo at 4-8 cfm and you generally run abrasive blasters at around 80 PSI (generally less PSI = more CFM).

http://www.tptools.com/Skat-Blast-Replacement-Siphon-Air-Jets,283.html?b=d*8024

So techincally the compressor you linked which will run 5 CFM at 90 PSI (and probably a tad more at 80) should run that. On paper.

Sand blasting just kind of sucks. It's tedious and boring standing there at a cabinet, so I avoid it even though I have a decent set up. I'll use paint strippers, and acid or electrolosys to remove rust if I can before I stand at the blast cabinet for a couple hours.

Good luck!
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is weird it's not letting me post something here. It's not like I'm putting in anything dirty or weird I was just trying to explain the relationship between air nozzles and blasting and direct you to TP tools which has the different size nozzles.
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can wash your car with a squirt gun, a garden hose, or a fire hose.

Only one of them is really appropriate.

You can use a squirt gun but it will take forever.

You COULD use a fire hose but you might dent the car.

A garden hose is just right.

Now if you're only washing a fuel pump or small part a squirt gun might not be so bad.
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get most of my blasting tools from TP tools.

They spec the SMALL nozzle combo at 4-8 cfm and you generally run abrasive blasters at around 80 PSI (generally less PSI = more CFM) .

http://www.tptools.com/Skat-Blast-Replacement-Siphon-Air-Jets

Ah, it was something about that link it didn't like. Rolling Eyes Find the small air jets. They say they can run on 4-8 cfm at anything over 60 PSI.

So techincally the compressor you linked which will run 5 CFM at 90 PSI (and probably a tad more at 80) should run that. On paper.

Sand blasting just kind of sucks. It's tedious and boring standing there at a cabinet, so I avoid it even though I have a decent set up.
I'll use paint strippers, and acid or electrolosys to remove rust if I can before I stand at the blast cabinet for a couple hours.

Good luck!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IR compressor you linked is similar to my old one except mine had a 27 gal tank. When using my blast cab i would blast for 20 seconds, wait for 30, blast for 20, wait for 30...Compressor never rested. With my new one it night and day.
My old.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I understand you're interest in quality...
Buying used you can buy higher quality compressor and you will be happier.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever gun u use, to get good results u have to maintain 90+ psi AT the gun, it takes a healthy compressor to do this, 90/12cfm u can blast continiously.i used furring strip frame, some used greenhouse plastic to make a wedgeshaped with doorway, plastic floor,to capture sand. U strain it , get several cycles. Check around , lowes did sell blasting sand, my best, from a tombstone sales, they used granite sand to cut ngravings etc, gave me their used, still better than lowes type, will sell bags of new also.IMPORTANT u get a mask specifically to handle blasting sand, std wont do, your lungs.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like it might suit my needs combined with the 2.0 HP IR compressor or something similar.

http://www.lighttoolsupply.com/catalog/Manufacture...tID=342490
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: