Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any cyclists here?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a single speed road cyclist. I rode 7200 miles last year (far and away my largest yearly total.) My main road machine has 21,400 miles racked up on it between when I got it in 2008 and now.

This year has been slow as I had open heart surgery to replace a defective aortic valve in February. 8 weeks after surgery I am back to making 20 mile rides on reasonably level terrain. I will get back to making up to 60 mile rides to downtown Seattle and back.
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat 2 masters racer....been racing since 1988.....
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Bikes and VWs long term love, great backup plan. Reply with quote

Old school rides...
Used to road race back in college, now a different century. Still keep a Trek road bike for getting to work, an old Bridgestone MB5 mountain bike for escaping, and have a rack with axel locks in the front wall of the double cab.

Picture from 2014 Virginia Flying Circus VW show. Wife's late 70's Fuji Royal in the back of the bus.... Just in case alternate transportation is required. After all... what could go wrong in a 50 year old bus!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just missed 2 weeks of work from trying to be 15 again on my bmx bike, I still ride almost every day but I shouldn't attempt the tricks I used to do haha

Redline frame with a bunch of good parts, well at least they were good parts 5 years ago
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a 68 mile race dressed like this, my first ever race-Tour of the Battenkill in upstate NY. Who needs all that fancy gear?
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago when I used to ride a lot with the NY Cycle Club, along with all us fashionably dressed and equipped members, an older fella would always show up in his coaster-brake equipped clunker, dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt, and would ride as well as or better than almost all of us. We always looked forward to seeing him.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my cycle. I just hit 30 mph with it today. O.K. I'm a little lazy when it comes to pedaling, but it is scary fun! Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many cyclist think if they "look" fast they will be fast.

But honestly having the right cloths can make the ride more comfortable. Riding in cotton during the summer on a hot and humid day is a sure recipe for gonad soup and stink foot.

BTW... I covered 400 miles on the road bike and 100 miles on the mountain bike for the month of April.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

Just did a 68 mile race dressed like this, my first ever race-Tour of the Battenkill in upstate NY. Who needs all that fancy gear?

That looks like how I ride, jeans most of the time. I wear Vans and use studded platform pedals. I also ditched the gears and just run 46:18 (freewheel, not fixed), its not like Seattle is hilly.
iMurph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a great bike ride. Smile
But I wouldn't call myself a 'cyclist' :p
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an exciting day at the FLBS. My Salsa Vaya 2 came in, so I got to get fitted, have the bars swapped for woodchippers, and when I got it home, installed a brand new Brooks B-17. Looking forward to many great years on it. I also bought a Jamis step thru bike for my wife. I'm glad to get her back into riding. Bonus: The shop owner is a long time VW guy!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Congrats! That's such a versatile bike. Fairly certain those woodchipper bars are modeled after the horns of Satan himself though Evil or Very Mad Hope you like em, never worked for me. If you'd like to sell the Cowbell 2 takeoffs I'm interested.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubblehead wrote:
^Congrats! That's such a versatile bike. Fairly certain those woodchipper bars are modeled after the horns of Satan himself though Evil or Very Mad Hope you like em, never worked for me. If you'd like to sell the Cowbell 2 takeoffs I'm interested.

Thanks for the kind words! I like the width and angle of the chippers so far- but I think it's because I am running with a full height steer tube (lots of spacers)- so it brings it up closer to my 47yo gut!. The bike shop traded bars for me and rewrapped the chippers at my request- so sadly, I do not have the cowbells... Crying or Very sad I figure if I can't stand them, I'll switch to a wider randonneur(sp) style, but with more flare than the cowbells.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using my Mountain Bike for a tour. Worked fine. Goofy stem added for the tour to raise the bars - left it on since then. Suits an aging body I guess.
Bought this bike about 25 years ago.

Using my touring bike as a mountain bike. Worked fine. Laughing
Been riding this since I bought it used 31 years ago.

[/url]

Touring bike in weekend touring mode - no cook gear, just a tent fly, netting and inflatable pad.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup have been for years. While I was in South Dakota I was doing some minor DH and freeride stuff. I had a hip surgery and the Doc said I should not be doing that. I transitioned into XC, moved to Missouri and the local XC trails SUCK, so I transitioned to road bikes. I've been riding road for 2 years now and absolutely LOVE IT! I remember making fun of the roadies... now I can't get enough of it. Since I started riding road I've owned a few different rides: Trek 1.2, 2011 Pinarello, 2012 Specialized Tarmac, 2011 Fuji, 2012 Fuji Altamira and now a 2013 Specialized Roubaix. Oh and I had a Cross bike for a few months, but I wasn't down with riding dirt roads. :p CAADX.

While in SD I used to ride a Specialized Enduro. The only picture I have of it is when I taught these 2 guys from Japan how to ride a MTB for a game show in Japan

Here's a picture of my Roubaix... BLACKED OUT Cool

I was training for the RAGBRAI in Iowa, but this week I'm working 11pm to 8am and it has my body all out of whack! I'm doing a 75 mile ride over Memorial Day week-end. The RAGBRAI consist of the following rides:
Sunday - 74 miles
Monday - 69 miles
Tuesday - 72 miles
Wednesday - 58 miles
Thursday - 70 miles
Friday - 63 miles
Saturday - 64 miles

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Many cyclist think if they "look" fast they will be fast.

But honestly having the right cloths can make the ride more comfortable. Riding in cotton during the summer on a hot and humid day is a sure recipe for gonad soup and stink foot.

BTW... I covered 400 miles on the road bike and 100 miles on the mountain bike for the month of April.

Damn 500 miles in 30 days! Where do you find the time? LoL Typically I ride 13 - 15 miles at lunch 3 or 4 days a week and then I try to do 20 - 50 on Saturday. Lately I've been working on the bus, so Saturday rides have been put on hold.

Guys at work poke fun at my fast gear, but it's about the comfort, not the look. I remember making fun of roadies and their tight shorts and shirts. I won't ride unless I have my padded bibs. Razz

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
[Damn 500 miles in 30 days! Where do you find the time? LoL Typically I ride 13 - 15 miles at lunch 3 or 4 days a week and then I try to do 20 - 50 on Saturday.

15 x 4 x4 plus 50 x 4 = 240 + 200 = 440. You're almost there already. Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
I was training for the RAGBRAI in Iowa, but this week I'm working 11pm to 8am and it has my body all out of whack! I'm doing a 75 mile ride over Memorial Day week-end. The RAGBRAI consist of the following rides:
Sunday - 74 miles
Monday - 69 miles
Tuesday - 72 miles
Wednesday - 58 miles
Thursday - 70 miles
Friday - 63 miles
Saturday - 64 miles

I've done RAGBRAI twice and I highly recommend it. An unforgettable experience.

DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
DubStyle wrote:
[Damn 500 miles in 30 days! Where do you find the time? LoL Typically I ride 13 - 15 miles at lunch 3 or 4 days a week and then I try to do 20 - 50 on Saturday.

15 x 4 x4 plus 50 x 4 = 240 + 200 = 440. You're almost there already. Very Happy

I think it's because I've missed 2 Saturday rides this month and didn't realize I was putting as many miles in. Rolling Eyes Razz

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed my first 75 mile ride on Memorial Day in 4 hrs & 12 minutes. Cool Century is in my future! I need to figure out this electrolyte issue. I cramped out at 69 miles and had to walk it out.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: