Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Randomly running across another beetle is difficult in 2013!
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Randomly running across another beetle is difficult in 2013! Reply with quote

I was driving around Chicago a few weeks ago in my 1970 Beetle and came across this parked 1972 Super Beetle the same color as mine. This is rare in the city in the year 2013. Gone are the days when every street had 2 or 3 Beetles.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B52Gunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on where you live. I routinely see 6 or 7 different ones every week...
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B52Gunner wrote:
I think it depends on where you live. I routinely see 6 or 7 different ones every week...

This... Outside of a VW show, I'm lucky if I see one other Bus a month here in CO but when I go home to SoCal...well, you know!

I like both! Always nice to see another.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
penguinoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see quite a few of them driving around in Adelaide ... mostly Beetles, plus the odd bus or two. The first time I saw one that appeared to be identical to mine, I had to stop myself running after it yelling "Hey, give back my car!". That it had a different number plate was a Clue that it might not be mine. Also, that my car was still safely parked in its space was another ...

It probably helps that Adelaide has a warm dry climate = rust is much less of a problem than in other areas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see an occasional beetle running around my town"ship" (population 100K) just north of Houston. Never two in the same day.

I drive a weekender Thing. I have yet to pull up next to one or see one driving on the streets at the same time unless at a larger show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see bugs running around the east valley of PHX on a regular basis. Typically, it's the same 2-3 bugs around where I live. I use to see a mid-60's bus on a regular basis but haven't see it in a while.

I probably see more 60's and 70's VW's then any other classic car except for maybe 60's mustangs. I actually saw an early 70's Ford Maverick in a parking lot recently. I haven't seen one of them in 20 years.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved to Santa Rosa about a year ago, I see quite a few different Bugs and Buses almost every day. Here is one I saw yesterday at a Home Improvement store. I have lived in the San Jose area, Sac. and Humboldt Co over the past 30 years and I have seen more here than in all of those places.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, due to an officer's funeral in downtown LA, I used an alternate route to avoid a massive traffic jam and saw a nice slammed vert and an early sixties bug parked next to each other in Lincoln Heights. Something I haven't seen in about a year.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of at least 5 bugs in my neighborhood and I tend to see some others driving around fairly often.
Big Cap Distributor rebuilt by Tasb
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in washington state, If the sun is out I will see two or three a day. There are a lot when I go into older towns or the local downtown. New parts dont see that many. But mainly if the sun is out, there are VWs out and about

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat4powerhouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in rapid city i see a couple of bugs in the summer. But the winter time i only see one, its a black bug with BRM wheels and snow packed fenders. Makes me smile ever time i see him

78 bay window truck
68 baja bug
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Yesterday, due to an officer's funeral in downtown LA, I used an alternate route to avoid a massive traffic jam and saw a nice slammed vert and an early sixties bug parked next to each other in Lincoln Heights. Something I haven't seen in about a year.

You're so right. I live and drive thru nearly every corner of Los Angeles and many guys in that area plus Glassell Park and Boyle Heights. What I find, and this is good, is the drivers are youngsters.
Bill.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Running Across Vw's Reply with quote

Oak Ridge National Lab's figures on Survival and Scrappage rates show that .004 % (less than 1/2 of 1%) of all cars over 30 years old are registered and still on the road in all conditions. The U.S. imported approximately 5,500,000 from 1949 to 1980. That leaves us with a estimated guess of 22,000 running around in the 49 continental United States. That is 450 air cooled VW's per state on the average. Some states, of course, higher and some much lower.

Your observations reflect that. I see a few here in Dallas on the street and added to the ones I know that are garaged the total is not many.

Take care of what you have. It's more important than you think. If you restore to stock you will be in a class with few peers. In other words ---almost by yourself. Custom and cut up will always be last in line.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the 2nd of june (Republic Day in Italy) i went to stretch the bug's legs and met a 1303 vert and a 1302 sedan parked on the side of the street. Most unusual, but yet on the same ride I met a Morgan 4/4 and a Innocenti Mini Cooper, so it was probably just other enthusiasts taking their rides out of winter storage.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must have been drive your bug to work day this morning. Here in Northern Nevada I saw three bugs on the way to work this morning.
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was leaving work today (I drove my 70 Beetle to work ) I saw a restored bay window bus on rt 34, and at the next light a guy pulled up next to me and said he just finished 77 Super......all in central New Jersey.
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out for ice cream,someone else had the same idea, mine is the rear one.

Last edited by richardc on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how excited we owners can be about seeing another VW. Two days ago I saw an old beat up survivor heading the same way as me in my rear view mirror. Crooked set of bumpers, roof rack and a good case of patina. I slowed down enough so the driver could get up next to me and say hello. It was a very young man driving probably his first car.

When I waved and honked he got excited, waved back and he was grinning from ear to ear.

I probably was also! Very Happy

Managed to also see a squareback on the way to work this morning. To bad I was in my truck.
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Randomly running across another beetle is difficult in 2 Reply with quote

Saw two sunflower yellow Beetles within minutes and and just a couple blocks apart in McKinney Texas the other day. Thought it was the same car but when I finished my errand I went by both locations again and they were both still there. First was in a BBQ joint second like 2 blocks away in a Car Quest lot. Thought it might be the guy at Car Quest had maybe picked up lunch. Nope 2 different cars.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: