Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

911 cylinder head stud changes
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: 911 cylinder head stud changes Reply with quote

it's been a while since I have built a "stock" air cooled engine, but while assembling components for a current build (3.0 SC), I am surprised to find that I cannot buy Dilivar cylinder head studs anywhere.

I understand the shortcomings of Dilivar, particularly snapping, but there does not seem to be any available "stock" stud with the correct thermal expansion characteristics.

I was talked into 993 stainless units about 8 years back with disastrous results on a bone stock 3.2 liter Carrera. After 6K miles, one stud pulled resulting in having to strip the engine to the case, repair all the threads, and install Raceware units like I had originally wanted to. (customer had insisted on the factory stainless studs).

Are my only options now:

Raceware (spendy, hard to convince somewhone to invest >1K in hardware)

Stock stainless (just a plain old bad idea, have encountered pulled studs and leaking engines on 993s, 964s, and my own personal experience with that 3.2)

Some other manufacturer that anyone experienced here could suggest? Have never been impressed with ARP studs in any air cooled application FWIW.

Thanks
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any problems with ARP studs.....if they are properly installed. Raceware of ARP....and stainless has no business even bejng used for head studs....poor material....no matter the alloy.

I know you gotta do what you gotta do.....but if the customer is not willing to pay what things cost....I would put it all in a box and deliver it back to him/her. Perhaps they are better of in a Ford. Wink
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Ray. Customer has decided to seek a refund on the car anyway, he purchased an SC "in excellent condition" from the big internet auction site. Storage charges begin to accrue...

Think I am just going to quote Raceware studs on every alloy cylindered engine from here on. Penny wise & pound foolish to try to save a few hundred dollars on such a critical component.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you bet the one he bought will need some head studs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: