Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Beard Seats: What Other Seats Fit The Mounts?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Replacing Beard Seats: What Other Seats Fit The Mounts? Reply with quote

Background:

Back when I had my roll cage built in 1993, I had the Beard seat mounts incorporated into the design of the cage. The guys building my cage back then recommended doing this so the seat mounts would not be attached to the floor. It was a good idea if the car ever landed on a big rock while off-roading.

Today:

The upholstery on those Beard seats is beginning to disintegrate. I'm now exploring my options: A new pair of Beard seats, reupholster the seats I have or find something new and different.

I would like to find a new pair of seats that will bolt up to the cage like the Beard seats did. Preferably something that has a thinner bottom so I can sit a little lower.

Does anyone know what other brand seats have the mounting tabs in the same place as Beard seats?
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... besides the EMPI knock offs.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mounting pattern is an industry standard that most manufacturers of that type seat use. That doesn't mean that ALL suspension seats mount the same, but MOST do.

Mastercraft originated that type of seat, Beard copied them. PRP, Twisted Stitch, some Corbeau, and even some Chinese ones mount right to the same mounts. I suggest getting new covers and padding for the Beards from Koronisparts (who now make Beard brand seats).

http://beardseats.koronisparts.com/

Their catalog makes no mention of replacement covers. But I've gotten them from previous owners of the company. They're in Riverside these days, so they're not too far away from you.

https://corbeau.com/
http://corbeau.com/susp-fixed-back/baja-ss.html
They used to be in Chatsworth, but now they're up in Sandy Utah.

http://www.twistedstitch.net/sand-car-off-road/
These guys are in Anaheim. BEAUTIFUL seats. Bit more pricey than Corbeau.

http://prpseats.com/
PRP is now owned by Brian Deegan. Co-founder of the Metal Mullisha and LOORRs short course offroad truck racer.

Their Premier seat is an imitation of the Beard Super Seat and will bolt right to the same brackets.

Summit and Jegs sell ProCar brand (a Scat product line) suspension seats, but they are flat bottom and do not fit typical vertical tabs. They offer an incredible array of adapters to fit them into various cars, but I found no listing for fitting them to typical suspension seat mounts.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Scat/Procar-Terrain-Series-1620-Suspension-Seats/1782920/10002/-1
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Now I have some options to choose from.

As I mentioned, something that would allow me to sit a little lower without changing the mounts would be ideal. The guys that built my cage all those years ago must have thought I was short or something.
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

http://www.twistedstitch.net/sand-car-off-road/
These guys are in Anaheim. BEAUTIFUL seats. Bit more pricey than Corbeau.

http://prpseats.com/
PRP is now owned by Brian Deegan. Co-founder of the Metal Mullisha and LOORRs short course offroad truck racer.

I think you will find TwistedStiches has been bought out, I can't remember who but it was another seat mob.

PRP Seats is not owned by Deegan, they are doing a signature series of seats for him etc but it has not changed ownership of the company which is still owned by Aaron.
flashho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a Beard on driver side and Master craft on passenger side. The MC is about1 1/2 lower ( thinner bottom). Note that the MC is wider at the shoulders and may have to be staggered to fit.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the PRP web page:
Quote:
Motocross legend, off-road racer and businessman, "The General" Brian Deegan has taken over PRPseats.com to announce the release of his new, signature line of suspension seats.

Yes...it says signature line of seats, but it also says "taken over" which I read as has bought. How else does one "take over" a small company other than to buy it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the other seats such as those for Jeeps have lower sides and some may have lower seat bottoms as well.
SoCalBajas Member
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
From the PRP web page:
Quote:
Motocross legend, off-road racer and businessman, "The General" Brian Deegan has taken over PRPseats.com to announce the release of his new, signature line of suspension seats.

Yes...it says signature line of seats, but it also says "taken over" which I read as has bought. How else does one "take over" a small company other than to buy it.

Yeah I can see how it would read like that if you missed the .com bit. What they are referring to is that he has taken over as in stood up and made an announcement about his seats not taken over as in now in control.
bajamike560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thread on this and the info DUSTY, will be in the market for seats soon myself. Wink

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: