Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint VS. Powder Coating
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Paint VS. Powder Coating Reply with quote

Good afternoon guys and gals! My bus is currently a daily driven rolling restoration. I'm toying around with the idea of paint vs. powder coating on parts like torsion plates, front beam, bumpers... etc. What are your thoughts on which will last the longest? I'm specifically looking into painting it with KBS clear - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623679&highlight=kbs
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt, Powder.
There are home PC kits available, but the problem is home PC requires a large enough oven to fit your parts. Torsion covers, no problem. Beam, different story.
There is of course, professional PC available, at a cost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ yep that pretty much ^^

Powder coating is awesome and I do a lot of it at home. I have a double wall oven that i removed the center divider from to make a tall oven. I have a strong compressor, a blast cabinet, a pro quality gun, and basically a nice set up.

That said, it's not like it's magical. It's better than paint, but it can still chip and scratch and fade and fail. For my driver cars I often just paint stuff because I'm always changing things and changing my mind about what I'm running Smile a rattle can is pretty fast and not too fussy about prep work, at least if you aren't too fussy about the results.

But yeah it's better than paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POR 15 wears like iron if applied as directed. I did the beam ans suspension on my Beetle 17 year ago and it still looks great.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
POR 15 wears like iron if applied as directed. I did the beam ans suspension on my Beetle 17 year ago and it still looks great.

I've read many instances where it was applied according to the directions and ended up lasting a short amount of time. Any tips?
fuscavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love paint and have always used any economical 2 part industrial urethane that's inexpensive and durable. I've never been a fan of POR 15.
abritinthebay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really comparable. They are different and because of that good at different things.

Powder coating is basically layering your part with plastic (very thin, flexible, plastic). It's great but will never look quite as good as paint + clear does.

For things like Bumpers though - it's perfect because of how it is both strong and flexible and therefore will be resistant to damage.

I love powder coat but it's the case of "right place, right tool" for it OR paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: