Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

greaseless bearings
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: greaseless bearings Reply with quote

Saw this today. Pretty cool

This would also work for flipping gear reduction boxes upside down to slam your bus...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gear/a15603/super-efficient-greaseless-bearings/
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting

The first photo there reminds me of 2 other videos I saw in the past:
1. Made in China crap bearings vs. quality German bearings
2. A video I watched about skateboards from Walmart versus real skateboards where the wheels didn't spin.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course my first thought was rear axle bearings, then front wheel bearings but I started thinking about things at work.

Specifically turbines. With reduced friction, and with out grease or oil lubrication (there is some efficiency loss in both) we should be able to make more electricity from an existing turbine. We did get some efficiency gains switching to royal purple full synthetic in our turbines

It will have to be GE/Siemens/Toshiba etc that designs this into their turbines, it won't be us as the power generators. This will take some time to prove out, rows of blades alone are in the millions of dollars, they will not want to send those expensive parts flying into a million pieces

very interesting none the less - it would be cool if it proves out and becomes a new standard

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh...these have been out for years...and no...they dont work for heavily loaded parts like our wheels and axles.

Its simply a Swiss style, deep groove ball bearing with no ball spacers. Yes...it works when there is no load tangent to the axle or any even microscopic deformation or stress added to the outer or inner race.

In order to operate like the ball bearings in the tube in the picture and keep even spacing within the races.....there can be no drag from grease or oil....or for that matter.....drag from anything...including side loading of the outer race against the balls....which will spread them apart causing deformation of the outer race.

The only useful place so far for these bearings is in lightly loaded vertical shafts. They produce little if any axial loads that would spread or knock the balls out of alignment.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are also air bearings....but not sure the compressior hose will be long enough to go to the store&movies Wink
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cageless bearing, neat concept.

The guy who wrote the article clearly wasn't real sharp about bearings, he must have misunderstood the japanese guy. "Grease has been essential" does not mean "our bearings require no lube"

A ball bearing made of steel as shown in the pictures does require oil or grease, or some form of lubrication.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, two things are touching and moving. That means heat.

I'd like to see how that plays out.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...there is a lot of technology and differences in bearings. My other...hobby...(its actually more than a hobby)....is Inline skating/Racing. Im trying to get back to some marathons in the fall.

Low friction bearings...just like the high end skateboard guys...are practically a religion with us. My skates cost more than many low end type 1 engine builds.

The less lubricant (and lubricants get specific)...the faster you can go with less drag.

High end skate bearings for clean weather...are ceramic bearings....ceramic ball and steel inner and outer races. Noisier...but free rolling and no lube required.
I have a set of those. No lube at all. Everything else...uses oil...not grease. Typically my "Swiss style" steel bearings...which are really what those are in the article....use an ABEC style bearing (Annular Bearing Engineering Council)....but does not carry an ABEC rating because they make a deeper wider groove to have lower contact from the groove rails on the balls.

Much lower rolling resistance and a deeper groove for debris and any oil to drop into so there is no contact with the ball. They use delrin or Nylon alloy spacers/retainers.

There were some experimental ones years ago with no spacers....like in the article. Miserable failure.

The problem is the orientation and loading of the bearing. If the bearing is standing up on edge with the axle horizontal...like our wheel bearings...any loading to the outer race causes deflection of that race (flexing)....even if its only at a micron or angstrom level. That squeezes the bearings apart at the 12:00 point and forces them together at the 6:00 point.

A cageless bearing will never work in that orientation. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grease less bearings are like a dripless vw Shocked the way I red that means it has less grease or drips less....the the other guys Wink Ofcorse they may be oiled bearings, or even lard Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: