Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A6 Bose Sound System in My Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: A6 Bose Sound System in My Vanagon Reply with quote

I want to take the Bose w. sub out of the 1999 Audi A6 my son wrecked (grrrrrrrr don't ask) and install it in my Vanagon.

There's a separate powered sub in the rear of the avant that I should be able to put under my driver's seat in the bus, or under the rear bench if it doesn't fit.

Anyone know if the head unit puts out speaker-level power for the four main channels, or is there another amp for those?

The Audi HU us also larger (wider) than the standard DIN. I have no problem with cutting the dash to make it fit, but not sure how to mount it securely.

Thanks for any insights!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bose uses a common ground speaker system. I have an aftermarket HU that uses some kind of converter originally intended for a Nissan Maxima. This allows the HU to work with the Bose system in our '94 100CSQ Avant. I parted out another '94 Avant and have the complete post-HU Bose system. I think you'd need a good Bentley wiring diagram to make this work, as they use a surprisingly complicated harness to operate. Probably more effort than it's worth

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with Zeitgeist on the more trouble than its worth angle. I've tried to use model specific components a couple times over the years and always regretted it. For example, I tried to get a Bose spare tire subwoofer from a Mazda to work in my Quattro and found it had a complicated harness that just busted my chops. Then after hours of work and wiring, it appeared to have been specifically tuned to the trunk volume of the Mazda and completely sucked in my Quattro trunk (different volume, woofer orientation and trunk shape). I spent hours on that project before purchasing a powered subwoofer that rocks and was hooked up in 10 minutes.

After market car stereo is a finely developed product stream now. Factory OEM stuff is proprietary and the opposite of this plug and play product stream. I'll guarantee you the subwoofer from your A6 was tuned for the A6 and even the LOCATION and direction it is mounted in the A6. When I was a product developer for Lexus, our audio systems were tuned differently for leather vs cloth interior options. So the OEM stuff is not very usable and it would be a miracle if it sounded better than a $19 craigslist subwoofer after all of your wiring headaches are (kinda) resolved.

Send me the Quattro badge from whatever is left of your front grille as penance for your desire to self punish yourself and use the Bose subwoofer.....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback so far--not exactly what I was wanting to hear, though you are both probably right. But I don't think I was totally clear, so humor me just a little more.

I wanted to install the entire Bose system--head unit, sub, and main speakers--in the bus. So no worries about weird wiring. Apparently all the output of the HU is line-level, which runs to the amp in the rear (mounted with the sub). From there, the speaker-level outs run to the drivers. I would keep this all intact. I would only use the Vanagon wiring to run from the amp to the speakers.

The point about it being tuned for the A6 is well taken. I've built speakers and subs before and know how the enclosure is a very important equation in sound quality.

I do think it would sound better, though, than my current tinny "system."
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd take the A6's powertrain and swap it into the Vanagon and have a bit of a franken Vanagon.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in for a lot of splicing and dicing with the harness, since each of the speakers are individually powered. Not to mention that speaker and sub cabinets are shaped oddly to fit their respective door/fender pockets. If you do move forward, please document with pics. I could be convinced to follow suit, 'cause the system sure sounds great in our Audi, and I've got everything all boxed up and ready

y u rune klassik?
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
If I were you, I'd take the A6's powertrain and swap it into the Vanagon and have a bit of a franken Vanagon.

V6 quattro Vanagon......that's an idea.

But it would go backward in Drive (tiptronic) Sad
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You're in for a lot of splicing and dicing with the harness, since each of the speakers are individually powered. Not to mention that speaker and sub cabinets are shaped oddly to fit their respective door/fender pockets. If you do move forward, please document with pics. I could be convinced to follow suit, 'cause the system sure sounds great in our Audi, and I've got everything all boxed up and ready

I will certainly document if I do it. I will first find a pinout of the connector at the amp and then commence to removing the drivers.

I plan on installing the drivers in the stock Vanagon locations and cover them with generic grilles. Not sure if they have acoustic baffles behind them in the Audi. I will need to add spots to mount the tweeters, next to the main drivers.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak99B5 wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:

V6 quattro Vanagon......that's an idea.

But it would go backward in Drive (tiptronic) Sad

HAH!! If you're as smart as Glen, you end up with a freaking QuattroSyncro! Very Happy Shocked Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh - I'd put the V6 up front just to be different from Glen! Good luck with the speaker mount.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found what seems to be the correct pinout of the connector.

There is no separate lines for the tweeters, at least not at the amp. I am guessing there's a passive crossover at each mid driver that feeds each tweeter.

The amp seems pretty small for powering every speaker in the car. A good thing is that will be easy to find a spot to install it. I may look to replace it with a bigger amp or two though, as the Vanagon is cavernous.

The sub driver is very small--I was expecting to see two of them in the box. But then, I am not trying to rattle windows, just fill in the bottom end a little.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the front door inner panel off. Piece of cake. The tweeter is wired directly off the 6" driver, and there's a cap in the line as a passive x over.

Things are looking up for this swap.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you're gonna force me to dig out my box of Bose stuff, just in order to follow along.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: