Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine options .... !
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: engine options .... ! Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
david2676 wrote:
Now keep in mind in the coming year maybe sooner I want to take the van into S America and do some extended trips.

Every S american wanderer that I have read about that had problems with the engine and tranny(both seem to come up) had to source parts from the US. Search for some of those threads for first hand input.

The ones in my brain were one water boxer replaced with a Subaru in South America and then a couple of Subarus died.

There is a WBXer currently on the cusp of being abandoned in Mexico after a bad WBX "upgrade" was done.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strength in numbers, on this continent I would go with an I4 vw. An obd2 ABA conversion. Lots in the wrecking yards, built in Mexico plenty of Golfs and jettas every where. These engines have a tuner market that follows them so more horse/torque is easy to obtain.
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has to get it by CA smog, anybody know of a CA van with the ABA in it? I would imagine the OBD I version should be able to be approved by a referee.
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: nothing is perfect Reply with quote

There is not going to be a perfect 1 st world solution in S America but from my travels what i do know is they are far more resourceful than most of us imagine.

Want to see the limits of what an engine can do travel to Cuba. I wish I had the skill of some of these mechanics. They find a way to fix almost everything.

What I see is with many of the travelers we see who have problems money is an issue. I have talked to a few VW owners who have traveled all over S America they break and they pay to get it fixed. Whatever it takes they spend the cash to get what they need to fix it. They also do not travel on a nearly dead engine on a hope and a prayer. They have the vehicle serviced and do preventive repairs.

I guess if I want to have the best chance of a trouble free journey I should sell off my VW .. buy a low mile sprinter Van and convert it. I saw one recently it was a really well done job. truth is I have considered selling off my truck and buying one. I wonder if having a shower and toilet ... having that additional space might make long trips comfortable. The only thing I would miss would be the occasional spotting of a fellow VW ...

I think i need to plan a trip to RMW and see their kit... see who tuff a conversion is and go from there.. still have not driven enough to figure out if I have a real leak or just some air bubbles collecting from my hose replacement.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: nothing is perfect Reply with quote

david2676 wrote:
I think i need to plan a trip to RMW and see their kit... see who tuff a conversion is and go from there.. still have not driven enough to figure out if I have a real leak or just some air bubbles collecting from my hose replacement.

As I mentioned before... If you are planning on staying registered in CA... you will be legally stuck with a Subaru 2.2 (not a 2.5) no matter who does the conversion (RMW, BusLab, Vanaru). A few other considerations are: that MANY Subie 2.2 engines are now quite old and if you are gonna spend 70-80% of the money... why not a VW 1.8T? CA legal and 200+ HP (vs. 135 from the Subie 2.2).

As far as the Sprinter goes... I think I would also miss the size of the Westy and being able to easily park anywhere I want. Shower and toilet can be easily brought along and used OUTSIDE the Westy.
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: 1.8 Reply with quote

I like the 1.8 ... but its big $$$$$

I asked at Synrco one of kids working their show car said he is not aware of anyone doing their own conversion with their kit. The quote was $17,000 and he admitted that it would be more like $20,000 by the time you got everything done.

$20,000 is more than an entire car .... I would live with the 2.1. 3 kids in college there is a point where its just not worth the cash to me.

I might do a sprinter ... sell off my truck and one of my buses and do a sprinter just to see how much I like it. I saw a few in Yosemite. its a different crowd no doubt but I travel alone anyway. I enjoy the VW scene. At the end of the day though for me its more about travel.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Stephan's shop does the conversion, yes $17-20k. However, you may want to discuss other kit installation options (DIY, etc) directly with him 916-456-3040.

Another thing to remember... Regardless of which engine you choose for a conversion, you will need to upgrade many ancillary systems... brakes, cooling, etc. It's a $lippery $lope to make a 24-34 year old vehicle reliable and perform more like a modern vehicle... and you still won't have air bags Wink .

Kinda sounds like a Sprinter may be the better option in your future.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was on limited funds, was not worried about speed, and wanted reliability I'd stick in a fresh VW NA diesel. Bring some spare fuel filters and have a good time. There is probably nothing simpler and more reliable on the road than a good ole bosch diesel injection. Keep the fuel clean and have a good time.
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: I think i have my answer ... Reply with quote

Yea i think I am going to have to live life in the slow lane ...

stock motor and drive a bit slower .... maybe when I win the lotto ...
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Not a bad way to go at all! Just do your due diligence between GW, Vanistan, and Rocky Jennings Wink
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar scenario however no big trips planned. I have an 89 with about 95k on it. My heads every so slightly weep a little water in winter however my exhaust system is shot and I can't get all the head bolts out. Because of the head bolts I was planning to drop the engine to do the exhaust. With the engine out I figured I'd freshen it up a bit and correct the weeping heads. So I purchased Gowesty heads however their head work seems to be the bare minimum to correct the valves. I handed them over to Rocky Jennings and had him do is stage 2 head treatment. Next I had Rocky set me up with 1.25 rockers for the heads. I decided to also do a piston kit and went a little bigger. Rocky does a kit that doesn't need longer rods and is setup for the correct deck height. If my memory is correct it's a 95.5mm kit so I think I'll end up just shy of a 2.2. I believe all this was about $2k and should get me another 50-60k before I need to do a major rebuild. I've ventured from Death Valley to the Artic Circle with the stock WBX so I am cool sticking with it. Since I only drive about 5k a year that buys me a decade of service. At that point it will be interesting to see what the engine options will be in 2025. I have yet to do the engine work however I'll probably tackle it in June.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: