Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK... Salim at Countryhomes Campers (Southern CA) is the only source. Shipping shouldn't be much of an issue. I'll be curious if someone else knows another source. I know the 3.73 was offered in Europe at one time.
Sturmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Really??? Reply with quote

When i understand this tread, the R&P is build in UK or i false???

shipping and declare + R&P-price is not so good...maybee 2000 Euro...

nononono.....

Thanks
Sturmi
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just installed another one of these in a 1990 Westy with a Subaru 2.5L Truly the best combo in my opinion. It is not a rocket ship but it keeps up with traffic and has the perfect rpms when cruising with plenty of passing power.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.27 buy in europe? Reply with quote

Sturmi wrote:
where can i buy an r&p 3.27 in europe, i am from germany...

http://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/triebsatz-327-fur-vw-bus-t3-syncro-vorderachse-org-vw-094409142f
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete post

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.27 buy in europe? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Sturmi wrote:
where can i buy an r&p 3.27 in europe, i am from germany...

http://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/triebsatz-327-fur-vw-bus-t3-syncro-vorderachse-org-vw-094409142f

That's not the right part. That's a 4.57:1 ring and pinion for the manual transmission.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sturmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: not the right... Reply with quote

its for a synchro front diff....not what i searching for...

other ideas???

Thanks
Sturmi
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: 3.27 R&P Reply with quote

Sturmi,

Lars from tristar-connection.de will in the US in a week. You can contact him and see what he would charge to bring it over.
He has a container going to Germany or he may hand carry it. You can paypal me at [email protected] for the gears and pay Lars in Germany.

Regards,
Salim Miro
Country Homes Campers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanaruEngine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: taller tires vs taller R&P Reply with quote

Just wanted to comment on this topic since I see my customers often asking this about installing taller tires to increase fuel economy.

The thought is that you can slow down the engine rpms by installing larger diameter tires, and slowing down the engine will increase fuel economy. The fuel economy drops instead, exactly illustrated in the case quoted.

Why is it? The answer has to do with the weight of the tires and the fact that the tires are rotating. To get a larger diameter tire you also have to add more weight to the tire, a fact that is usually overlooked.

The first vanagons were delivered with 185R14 tires, which have a diameter of about 25 inches and weigh about 23 pounds.
    The 225/75R15 tire quoted weigh about 28 pounds.

Big deal, right, only 5 pounds more? Now get that extra 5 pounds rotating many times per second (and at a greater radius to boot) and angular momentum comes into play, the flywheel effect. The heavier a rotating mass, the more energy it takes to change its speed. The energy also goes up by a square law, so double the weight takes four times as much energy to change its speed.

Think of taking a regular claw hammer and swinging it in a circle, most people could do that. Then take a four-pound hammer and swing it the same, a lot less people could do that. Then imagine the extreme, a 12 pound sledgehammer, that takes a lot of energy to get swinging and is difficult to stop once it's going, and will put terrific strain on your arms.
    So, think of the tires as flywheels, every time you accelerate a heavier tire the energy required to get them spinning is a lot more, and every time you stop, the brakes have to convert all that rotational energy to heat. In addition to accelerating the body of the van, you also have to put in the rotational energy to get the tires spinning. Also, thinking of the sledgehammer example, the heavier tires put more stress on all the components rotating it and stopping it.

Why did his mileage go back up when he changed to 205/65R15? That size tire is about the same weight as the stock 185R14 tire, and the same diameter.
    When I tested the first 3.27 ring and pinion in the US, that 87 camper had 205/65R15 tires and my mileage went from 17 mpg with the 4.09 to 21 mpg with the 3.27.

Same tire, 20% higher fuel economy using the 3.27.
    Larger tires, 20% lower fuel economy using the stock diff.

-Hans
    Vanaru Engine Systems
    www.vanaru.com

Jon_slider wrote:
Smiro wrote:
When I had my 2.2L with a 3.73 R&P I was thinking just that and did just that [225x75x15]. To my surprise my gas mileage went from 17MPG to 14MPG. I checked it several times before I went back to Discount Tire and exchanged my tires to 205X65X15. My MPG is back up to 19MPG.

Thanks for the education.
If I read you right, a 12% taller tire, reduces fuel mileage.
otoh
a 12% taller ring and pinion, increases fuel mileage.

thanks for the food for thought. Im very happy for you to have found a way to lower RPM and increase fuel mileage, congrats!

Also great respect on your contribution to knowledge of enhanced ATF cooling to control the extra heat that taller gearing causes.
[/list]

Last edited by VanaruEngine on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: 3.27 Reply with quote

Very well put Hans!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: A happy customer Reply with quote

Alan has had my R&P for awhile now. Here is his latest email to me. He has a 2.5L Subaru.

"Hi Salim,

Just wanted to let you know the gear set for my 88 Vanagon A/T you sold me are working fine. I estimate I have about 6,000 miles on them with no issues. They run quiet.

Sure is nice to run down the interstate at 80 miles an hour without the engine screaming. Also fun to see the faces on people who can't believe a Westy can go that fast. "

Alan, I wish you many years of driving enjoyment...Fahrvergnügen

Cheers,
AvengerBVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Quick Change gearing? Reply with quote

I was thinking of the problem you have with gearing choices on the Vanagon automatics. A lot of dollars seems to be needed to create only 1 ratio option, and that ratio may not be optimum for all. Wouldn't the equivalent of a rear axle quick change final ratio be of great benefit in this situation?

I have posted this question in the general transmission section of the site but I thought I would post it here as well because this thread seems to be more active and have a focus directly related to my topic.

A little background, I recently got a full auto and upon examining its construction I believe I can add a quick change R&P gearing to it using many off the shelf components and a few low dollar custom ones. I plan on doing this for my own vehicle.

Just collecting opinions for now...

PS: you can post a reply here so that my question doesn't sidetrack your thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629589
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Anther Happy customer Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Here is another happy customer driving his van on my R&P. This is the way to go if you have a 2.5L and up. I am working on a another R&P for the people who have a 2.2L Subaru motor, stock 2.1L and everything in between in terms of Horse power.

"Hello, I bought a ring & pinion kit from Salim at Country Homes Campers. After a bad experience during installation (the mechanic did not install the part correctly), I have followed the advice of Salim and went to Hilltop garage, Cowansville, Quebec, Erwin is the owner and the mechanic. I bought a new kit + a shaft, Salim really helped me in this mishap, Erwin did a very good job and now after 1200km without problems I really appreciate my new van, I reduced the rpm, the engine is more quiet, fuel economy etc.... Moral of this story: deal with the right people. Thanks Salim and Erwin.

Denis Cyr
Sherbrooke, QC"

Cheers,
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: 3.27 and 3.73 update Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I am down to 2 3.27 R&Ps. I will be getting 3.73 R&P before the end of the year for those who have 130hp motor or less. Not sure when the 3.27 will be available. I hope early part of next year.

Regards,
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Sold the Last one. Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I have sold the last 3.27 R&P yesterday. I am promised to have my order before the end of the year. I will also have two ratios available, 3.73 and 3.27.

Regards,
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon.. Reply with quote

Not that anyone would be surprised, but I just got the 3.27 R&P installed last week. Like the others and said, it's great.

One thing I would recommend, if you have a torque converter that stalls at 3k, you might want to get a 'K' version torque converter. If you have enough power to take on this ring and pinion, then you probably do not need a stall speed in the 3k range. Those that drag race, may be the exception, but I do not think there are many that way.
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I have finally sorted the production of my gears. I will have 3.73, 3.27 and possibly 3.08 R&Ps in 6 to 8 weeks...hopefully sooner. It has been a long road but I see the end of this journey. Building these gears is not an easy process. These gears will be coming from Europe and they will be the same high quality gears as the last set.

Regards,
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I have the following updates to share with you:

1. I just spoke to the builder on my Ring and Pinions. The run of 3.27 ratios will be at the hardeners by late next week. The other ratios will follow once the machines are reprogrammed.

2. The Reimo mushroom tops I ordered from Germany are estimated to arrive around Mid-May.

3. Syncrofest in Hollister is coming up. Hope to see you there.

Cheers,
Smiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Update:

1. I just spoke to the builder of my Ring and Pinions. The 3.73, 3.27 and 3.08 will be ready by next week Friday. They will ship all my ratios by the week of the 18th. It takes around week to get to me. Therefore before the end of this month all ratios will be available.

2. The Reimo mushroom tops I ordered from Germany are estimated to arrive around Mid-May.

3. Syncrofest in Hollister is coming up. Hope to see you there.

Cheers,
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Vanagon 3.3:1 Ring and Pinion available soon... Reply with quote

Thank you Salim. Love my 3.27 R&P with my 1.8T. Would do it again without hesitation!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: