Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Armadillo. 1960 Double Cab.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sinklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great success!!
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've always seen people post: "that s#$t will buff out."

i guess it does. looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sinklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OG paint under the re spray buffed out. Only took a day of stripping paint in a 100 degree garage. Smile
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you strip it with?

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sinklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought this at Lowes and it works pretty good and is non toxic. There are some other spots on the truck where it was sprayed with some black primer before paint and it won't even touch the black stuff so your mileage might vary. I would let it sit for a few minutes and the scrape off the thick goop and use a red scotch bright pad with soap and water to scrub the rest. After that I would clean off the area with paint thinner and let it flash off and repeat. As an added bonus it didn't seem to affect the OG paint in anyway, but this truck was sprayed early on in its life so the OG paint didn't have many years to break down in the sun.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sinklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grudge wrote:

I bought this at Lowes and it works pretty good and is non toxic. There are some other spots on the truck where it was sprayed with some black primer before paint and it won't even touch the black stuff so your mileage might vary. I would let it sit for a few minutes and the scrape off the thick goop and use a red scotch bright pad with soap and water to scrub the rest. After that I would clean off the area with paint thinner and let it flash off and repeat. As an added bonus it didn't seem to affect the OG paint in anyway, but this truck was sprayed early on in its life so the OG paint didn't have many years to break down in the sun.

I forgot to add that after stripping I color sanded with 1000 grit and then 1200 and 1500 before using a. Light cut polish to buff out. This panel was prepped with probably 80 grit but luckily the paint was still heavy enough I could get most of the sa d scratches out without removing too much paint. I only broke through in one spot and that was when I was running the polish so you have to be very careful not to go too far with the color sanding.
tferr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grudge wrote:
From this:

To this:

any updates
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cat1pro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2
Sinklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new updates as of now. We moved not a new house last years and it's been a lot of work getting it set up. Probably more than buying a used home. We have our first born due next week so I'm thinking there will be a lot more time at home this summer for me to get the ball rolling again.
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Congrats Reply with quote

Congrats on the new addition to the family. Before you know it you will have a little helper out in the garage. JC.

WWW.VOLKSWEAR.COM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sinklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in need of a door striker for the third door for this DC. Anyone have a spare they would be willing to part with?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all my hunting, I have never found one of those. The ones for sale always turn out to be the 211 part number for any old door. And I was only looking to find one NOS or in slightly better condition than the one that came on my DC.

Good luck in your hunt! I hope that someone makes a reproduction run of these striker plates one day, a good quality one.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sinklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
In all my hunting, I have never found one of those. The ones for sale always turn out to be the 211 part number for any old door. And I was only looking to find one NOS or in slightly better condition than the one that came on my DC.

Good luck in your hunt! I hope that someone makes a reproduction run of these striker plates one day, a good quality one.

Bill

If I find one I will make a blue print of it and get some estimates on having some machined. The originals look like cast parts but for a small run it will probably be cheaper to have them machined.
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Armadillo. 1960 Double Cab. Reply with quote

Any more progress?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Armadillo. 1960 Double Cab. Reply with quote

Holy crap... there’s a five year old Photobucket pic ^^ that still shows up.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Armadillo. 1960 Double Cab. Reply with quote

El Guero wrote:
Any more progress?

The owner of this Doublecab is my friend Adam. He did get it mostly complete and was able to bring it out to the March Meet VW show at Sunset Park in Las Vegas March 2017. I looked online and found two photos taken at the show, photos are courtesy of Nick LaFronz. Adam moved away from Las Vegas and now lives in New Mexico, so maybe some New Mexico locals will see his truck out at shows there.

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Armadillo. 1960 Double Cab. Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
El Guero wrote:
Any more progress?

The owner of this Doublecab is my friend Adam. He did get it mostly complete and was able to bring it out to the March Meet VW show at Sunset Park in Las Vegas March 2017. I looked online and found two photos taken at the show, photos are courtesy of Nick LaFronz. Adam moved away from Las Vegas and now lives in New Mexico, so maybe some New Mexico locals will see his truck out at shows there.

Well, Adam is a lucky man and driving a badass truck! Thanks for the updated pictures, Ron.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Armadillo. 1960 Double Cab. Reply with quote

Cool
Sinklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Armadillo. 1960 Double Cab. Reply with quote

Been absent from the Samba for awhile. The truck is alive and well in New Mexico. I drove it around a bit this summer but I'm going to probably need a new motor. For now it's tucked away in my shop for the winter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: