Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Consumption in WBX how do I tell if its Rings or Valves?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leathersmyth wrote:
I am planning to replace clutch (because of chattering or shuttering once in while when reversing or starting off on incline and have to ride clutch bit to start off) and will replace main seal when apart.

There is a small drip coming off where main seal would be but if sits on cement nothing drips on ground from that spot.

Check that your crankcase ventilation is working correctly. The hose between the breather and the S boot will both rot and split or it will collapse, either way the cc ventilation is compromised.

If you replace your main seal use a Sabo seal. The rest are a waste of your time and money.

I was able to pretty much stop the oil use on my Syncro by switching over to synthetic oil. I had rings in one cylinder that didn't seat well or broke and cause high oil uses. Swapping to synthetic reduced the useage to zero for about 100K miles and then it slowly went up.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yamaha Additive"

What, you going to run Yamalube in the gas?

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL.

However,
The only thing that will get this engine your talking about to stop using oil is drive the hell out of it for maybe 10,000 miles.
Don't stop.

Maybe the shrunk seal will grow on the main too.
The worst thing that can ever happen to that engine is not running / driving it.
leathersmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read yesterday on a posting on the samba that you can use
Yamaha Ring Free Shock Treatment
in the gas tank to help clear out carbon etc... So was wondering if should try that.
I will look for the Marvel mystery oil...

I checked the crankcase ventilation and all looks good there. nothing collapsed or rotten.....
I do drive it but i do not "push it" when i do. But i do believe that it has spent a lot of time sitting since new engine was put in and before i picked up three years ago and that is main problem with it.
A liter every 1000 k is not Too big deal in one way, But it would be nice if i could go the miles between oil changes and not use a drop like my
1999 subaru outback...

I have only used synthetic since i picked up....
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
If you 100% confident and sold that the 30 weight oil is not the reason,
( and according to the owner's manual it's way too light for the warmer weather--you did read that--right? ) one would have to consider the rings.
Valves you'd be low on compression more often than the rings, and wouldn't be the usual reason for the engine swallowing oil.

I'd bump the oil to 10/40, 15/40 and see what happens prior to making any judgement calls.
A simple compression test would tell you more of what your looking for.

Hey Terry,
Just back from a trip across Canada with the Westy. I decided to try some thicker oil to see if there was any change but still had the same oil consumption (1lt/800 kms).

Engine still runs great but it's time to tear into it. Will run a compression test this weekend and have the new heads, pistons, cylinders and rings ready to go.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Valvoline 20w/50

Will post compression results. Need to really clean garage before any engine surgury. Everything must be spotless Very Happy
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question ;
Let's for the sake on conversation in trying to figure out what's going on here.
You say that the engine swallows a quart of oil in about 1000 miles.
How much oil do you have in the crankcase to start with?
To the top line of the dipstick?
OK, now let's say you drove 2000 miles without adding any oil.
It would use 2 quarts?
3000 miles 3 quarts?
Trying to figure if your just overfilling the crankcasefrom the get go, or what?
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Terry,
Yes the engine will continue to consume oil until it's gone.

If I don't add any oil when it is below the min/max section it will continue to go lower...

I never fill to top of fill line as recommended by Samba

It's gotta be rings
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think that the darn thing qould give you an indication of the consumption with some white smoke out the tailpipe.

Could very well be the rings, could be the guides.

If you were swallowing almost an entire crankcase between oil changes, you would think you would have a or some oily really black plugs on whatever hole (s) were eating it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the rings stick in their grooves it is hard to get them to free up again. Adding a quart of MMO, 2-cycle oil, or other upper cylinder wall lube for 5 or more tank full may help, then again it may not.

If the rings are actually worn out they may still give good compression as the combustion pressure will force them tight against the cylinder walls, but on the other strokes they will let oil and gases pass easily.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about engines so this is more of a question.

I thought you do a compression check and then add oil to the cylinder and do it again. If it comes up, the rings are worn.

I had a subaru that had leaky valve seals. The engine burned simlar amount of oil to yours, ran fine and didn't smoke except going down a steep hill using engine braking, you could see a trail of blue smoke. IIRC, I googled it and that symptom confirmed valve guides.

FWIW,
Dave
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an EJ25 that was an oil burner. 1Qt in 700 miles at the end. I pulled it and took the long block to my local Subaru speed shop and asked them to look at it. The owner (who used to have a Vanagon) said the rings were totally carbon fouled. He cleaned everything and replaced the rings. Just did 3000 miles to Key West and maybe burned 0.5 Qt of oil. All is good.. Rings were my issue....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: