Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to hotrod VW engines
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IMPI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: How to hotrod VW engines Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I havebeen collecting parts to build a replica of the engine on the cover for a long time now. In looks it will be very similar but being in south africa parts are a bit difficult to find.
I have collected a mint 82 stroke roller crank, 88mm biral empi cylinders and bored them 88.5 to suit toyota pistons, empi valve covers, a sed of 40 dcn,s with Berg manifolds etc. The bit that has me stumped is the oil filter housing. I havent seen any reference to it anywhere. Can somebody please add a photo or a description
I would like the engine to be fully functional and will definitely start it a bit but ultimately it is being built for display in my man cave
Thanks Armand
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to hotrod VW engines Reply with quote

hi that oil fillter fixture is one of a kind. gene berg made it in the 1960s . I think clyd berg or some one at gene bergs store . built a motor just like the one on the cover of how to hot rod vws. its in genes old dragster little but quick. it was at a vw show and it has the oil filter fixture on it that gene made.and I think a lot of the old parts that was on that motor .I talked to clyd berg about that motor and he said it never ran it was a mock up if I herd clyd right that was over 25 years ago. I cant remember every thing lol. gene later made a different oil filter fixture that he sold for drag racing in the 1960s . I bought one 12 years ago from gene bergs store. they might still have them. if you want more info call gene bergs store . good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: How to hotrod VW engines Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
hi that oil fillter fixture is one of a kind. gene berg made it in the 1960s . I think clyd berg or some one at gene bergs store . built a motor just like the one on the cover of how to hot rod vws. its in genes old dragster little but quick. it was at a vw show and it has the oil filter fixture on it that gene made.and I think a lot of the old parts that was on that motor .I talked to clyd berg about that motor and he said it never ran it was a mock up if I herd clyd right that was over 25 years ago. I cant remember every thing lol. gene later made a different oil filter fixture that he sold for drag racing in the 1960s . I bought one 12 years ago from gene bergs store. they might still have them. if you want more info call gene bergs store . good luck

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IMPI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information cool photo
Armand
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armand what kind of car is the motor going into that your building ? are you going to post your build on samba forums ? I think it would be some thing every one would like to see .thanks spencerfvee
IMPI wrote:
Thanks for the information cool photo
Armand
brian hansen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I got the filter adapter and a empi filter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi brain that looks like a gene berg adapter .I had years ago. what kind of motor is it going on ?it looks so cool .I allways liked the way it looks on a drag motor real cool oil filter spencerfvee
brian hansen wrote:
Hi
I got the filter adapter and a empi filter
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look no further than thesamba
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1766372
brian hansen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the adaptor and filter is for sale, filter is NOS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IMPI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for all the cool info.
Since i am planning on using a roller crank I dont foresee real use for the engine beyond starting it occasionally. It will be on display with a few others in my man cave. Once i have collected all the bits i will post the build. I will probably deviate in terms of oil pump as auto stick beetles were never sold here.
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's weird. I wonder why they used that oil pump...Looks cool but what would be the point?

Rob
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkeyworth wrote:
Yeah, that's weird. I wonder why they used that oil pump...Looks cool but what would be the point?

Rob

As far as I know, that was the/a way to do full flow oiling before full flow pump covers were commonly available. I'm also working on a period correct HP engine build, I'd like to use an autostick pump but I haven't been able to find out how to modify it for full flow use.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are confusing full flow with dry sump. Actually back in those days, very few performance parts were available for VW. In 1968, some engines were fitted with torque coverters, so a dual circuit oil pump was designed for these applications, one circuit for motor oil, and one for ATF. Clever hot rodders soon figured out that these pumps could be modified to link the two circuits together internally, creating a high volume oil pump for racing, and other applications. That's why the permanent caps are on the inlet and outlet of the ATF circuit on the picture. It's meant to be run that way. Cool
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Look no further than thesamba
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1766372

look what I found its a nos gene berg drag race remote oil filter . .should spencerfvee

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: