Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

has anyone titled a buggy in the state of Indiana lately
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggyhick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: has anyone titled a buggy in the state of Indiana lately Reply with quote

Hey guys I recently trying to get a Vin number for my buggy in the state of Indiana. I received my Vin From the state, I installed it and had a police check done . I then head to the local bmv to get my title and tags. The person at the bmv tells me that the state has titled it as a off road only vehicle. So the supervisor shows up and says that she doesn't think that you can license them in the state anymore. So I am waiting to hear back from Indianapolis, but I wanted to know if anyone recently has filed for a Vin in Indiana with luck? Please let me know, I am a nervous wreck about this I have I bet 10k plus in this thing.
buggyhick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This information here may help you...

http://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_IN.pdf

For others...

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA

And don't be so impatient to "bump" your messages, it takes time for all those to stop in here to see your question...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
sandfan43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine it was in 07, but it was simple in indiana, took same steps you have taken but there was no question when i went to bmv, mine is titled assembled with an "mvin" is that how your is?
0oexto0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine last fall. I bought it in Wisconsin and brought it back. It was titled as a 61 VW. The guy who sold it to me made the bill of sale and put "I _____ sold my dune buggy to Chris ____ for $$". That was the catching point for me. When I went in everything was in order, but because the bill of sale had the term dune buggy in it, the lady at the DMV said she would have to call the manager. Well, the manager came out and said "He can title it, but he can't have plates because its off road", and walked away. I was just beside myself as this buggy was nothing for off road. The clerk was sympathetic as she said her husband does off roading and can't get his rail plated anymore because 2 weeks ago the state sent out letters saying all off road vehicles couldn't get plates to be on the street. I tried to explain that it wasn't an offroad vehicle, that it was more like a kit car for the street, and then pulled out my phone to show her the picture of it. She looked at the picture and sat for a minute and said hold on. She took the phone back to her manager and they talked. After a couple minutes they both came back and the manager said "Since the title is for a 61 VW, and judging by the picture it is clearly not an off road vehicle I'll pass it so you can get plates." Handed me my phone and walked away. The clerk then told me that whatever I do, in the future don't have anything in the paperwork that says dune buggy, off road, or anything like that or it will get denied.

TL;DR - Last year Indiana sent out the memo that anything off road related (dune buggy included) would not be able to get plates. So make sure your paperwork has nothing that pertains to that, INCLUDING the bill of sale Wink

Your mileage may vary, but if your buggy/kit car looks nothing like an off road vehicle, take a picture with you...it may save you if there is any scrutiny regarding what it is. Otherwise, if the title says vw or something like that...then thats all you need to worry about. Also, getting the VIN check was no problem at all for a couple buggies I've worked on.
barrist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What You are looking for is a MVIN.

https://secure.in.gov/bmv/2664.htm

I did mine a couple of yaers ago, was real painless.

Let me know if You need more info.

Have a Great Day,

Bill
buggyhick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: has anyone titled a buggy in the state of Indiana lately Reply with quote

Well the state will not help me because they don't like the sand rail look. But if it was titled it in a different state and brought here, as long as the title didn't say sand rail or dune buggy, there be no problems. The title can say kit car, convertible, roadster, the manufacturers name, etc. As long as it doesn't say dune buggy or sand rail. Wow really? ??? Wtf Indiana? And I always liked this state.
0oexto0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of states are getting on board with the same mentality. The DMV clerk told me the email was about getting things like sand rail type dune buggies, ATVs, golf carts, etc off the road as a plated vehicle. Sadly, you can plate a high powered crotch rocket, but buggies are somehow "unsafe" Rolling Eyes
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here in NC.. a law was adapted a few years ago and legalized "golf carts" or "low speed" vehicles for the street....
They must be titled, insured and pass a NC state inspection..for lights etc...

I agree.. using and having the term "Buggy" added to anything.. casues most registration and insurance is turn their noses up...

My first approach using that term didnt go well.. I learned....
"Kit car" or "custom" .... Wink
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: