Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locking your buggy up
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Locking your buggy up Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm prepping for a long vacation buggy roadtrip and I would like to know how you guy lock your buggies up at night.

I did a few several hundred miles trips last year but fortunately always ended up either in hotels with underground/guarded parking or in a friend's garage. The only time it spent a night outside at a motel, I locked it to a metal post through the front beam with a motorcycle chainlock. I'd like to hear your safety tips/strategies.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend not to visit cities on my buggy trips. If I did, I'd use a club and or gearshift lock and a car cover, also pulling the coil wire.
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also install a keyed Master lock in the curved slot in the E-brake rachet, beneath the handle. Also, add a couple of extra nuts to the ones on the ends of the E-brake cables to act as lock nuts.

Would also install a Hella removable key battery shut-off switch (see link below) along your positive battery cable, as well as a toggle switch for the wire that goes from your ignition switch to your coil. Put both where they are out of sight.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002843011-Rating-Batte...la+battery

Just remember, you're really only slowing down a thief and relying on the laziness factor...

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also park it where a Joe's Lawn Care, closed trailer cannot simply winch it directly inside.

Jim
Manx #2614
nightmanx11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempting to lock up a buggy is a joke. If someone wants it they will figure out a way to get it. At best all we
can do is slow them down so they move on to the next item on their daily agenda. All most thieves want
is a vehicle that they can take a quick joy ride in or something that they move to a location where it an be
dismantled and sold. Anything that we can do to slow down the process or frustrate them will usually make
them move on to the next car. Most of these Bozos want some thing quick and dirty.

Here are some possibilities:

1. Shut off the fuel with a hidden valve
2. Put a hidden switch on the electric fuel pump
3. Remove the rotor from the distributor, and put it in your pocket
4. Remove the steering wheel and take it with you
5. Install & use a battery disconnect
6. Remove the coil wire & put it in your pocket
7. Link a length of coated aircraft cable through all wheels
8. Put a lock on the shift lever/transmission

Always take anything of value with you. Do not even think to leave your cell phone, camera, movie camera,
etc. in the buggy. There simply are few if any ways to keep valuables secure. The less bling, the less tempting
the buggy will be. Lately, I have been using a Home Depot bucket w/lid to carry the good stuff into the motel
room, along with my roll aboard suitcase.

I also ask if I can park the buggy up front near the main entrance of the motel. I also carry insurance that covers
the replacement cost of the buggy and contents if stolen.

Remember we cannot stop the thief, all we can hope for is that they move on to the next vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a horn for a oil pressure light, so it goes off when you turn the ignition on till it cranks. I suspect that would scare a thief that try's to crank it. At night I always chain it to a pole or my camper, whatever and lock it down.

It still makes me nervous though because bolt cutters are easy to buy, any good theif should have them. Not to mention in just a few minutes anyone could pull and engine from a Vw, or pull your $800 pair of dual carbs.
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there used to be an engine lock bolt, anyone seen those lately?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: