Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Choose your route wisely
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Choose your route wisely Reply with quote

I was headed to Sevierville Tennessee for the Circle yer Wagons show. Google maps of course put me on the interstate for the 260 miles. I don't like interstates so I clicked the no highway option and it picked out a couple of nice routes. I took 27 down and 127 back. I was very disappointed at the lack of fellow Vdubers along that route. I expected most would have chosen the slower back roads and I should see an occasional VW at a gas station or greasy spoon getting gas. Not a one.

On the way back I ran across a stopped Vanagon just a few miles from Sevierville, I stopped to help. Not much I could do to help he said he had overheated and had to stop to let it cool down. So I stayed and chatted a few minutes. Told him about the beautiful ride I had on 27. 55 mph most of the way with an occasional 35 mph through town. I enjoyed the scenery through town so it was worth slowing to 35 to take it in.

He then tells me that he had been on I75 trying to keep up with traffic going over the mountains, we call them mountains, and it overheated. Now he can only go about 10 miles before it overheats again and he stops for 20 some odd minutes to let it cool. Sounds like a head gasket leaking exhaust gas into the water. He has friends at the bug show that should be able to patch him up and send him home. But he was also saying how he lives just off 27 and he now with perfect hindsight wishes he took the slower back road.

I guess that brings up the question. Why was I alone on those back roads, why was everyone on I75 trying to go 70 mph up those long steep hills?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't turn on the no highway option?
They all drive Raby camper specials?
Every one running Subi conversions?
Everyone was hot footing for the rare parts at the swap?
You were the smartest one at the show?

Pick your favorite. I favor the 'all a bunch of idiots' option but was trying to be polite
PK399
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems people nowadays want to go from point a to point b in the fast lane, follow the herd, and to hell with the scenery along the "old roads".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal rule of thumb is to only drive on roads that existed when the car I'm driving was built.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such problems never existed before GPS. Simply opening a map is a skill no longer taught.

My recent proof: laughing from the back seat after being fired as navigator for the drive to and from San Jose. The cost to the GPS-sworn driver: $20 bridge toll and an extra 15 minutes added to the trip home.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more note: I often drive the non-highways on long road trips but jump on them to scoot effortlessly through a large city. Yes I miss some amazing sights by getting on the interstate, but I save a lot of wear and tear on my brakes, drivetrain and nerves.
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how long the trip is, where I'm going, when, and why.

Ie this weekend going to autocross, gotta be there by x time in the morning, I took the interstate. but yes, other times where time is less of the essence, I don't mind the slower roads. then again, the bug doesn't have issues with speed/load like the busses do.

I agree with GPS destroying people's ability to navigate without it. "How am I supposed to know which squiggly line is what/goes where?" I can't wait another 13-14 years for my daughter to be that age, I have enough trouble getting my wife to drive without the $%^& thing. "What if I get lost or miss the exit?" "You take the interstate for 200 miles, then it ends and you get on the other interstate...all along the way there are signs telling you what road you're on and where you're going!"
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamesama980 wrote:

I agree with GPS destroying people's ability to navigate without it.

http://theweek.com/articles/464674/8-drivers-who-blindly-followed-gps-into-disaster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't see the air cooled vws because they were in their owners trailer being pulled by his American-made pickup. The VW gets unloaded at the show (or near to the show) so the owner can say he drove it there. They over-carb, over-cam, and over-compression the engine and then spend the day telling everyone how totally reliable their car is.
No, I'm not bitter...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is any doubt about the reliability of ones' ride, then taking the interstates, where others will see and help you in case of trouble, might be a wise choice.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
If there is any doubt about the reliability of ones' ride, then taking the interstates, where others will see and help you in case of trouble, might be a wise choice.

I think your much more likely to have someone stop and help along a back road than you are an interstate, it is hard for me to judge as I have never broken down on an interstate. I have broken down on back roads. Maybe one of you vanagon drivers with lots of experience breaking down can give us some insight.

That does bring up another point along those same lines. You are much more likely to have cell service along the interstate, so the AAA card is actually usable along an interstate.
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luvthemvws wrote:
You didn't see the air cooled vws because they were in their owners trailer being pulled by his American-made pickup. The VW gets unloaded at the show (or near to the show) so the owner can say he drove it there. They over-carb, over-cam, and over-compression the engine and then spend the day telling everyone how totally reliable their car is.
No, I'm not bitter...

There were a lot of trailer queens there. Driving them is the fun part. If I cant drive it, I don't want it.
Tim
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually caravan to the Bug Run on Interstate 5 at 65mph with the Oregon Bus Club. We had to leave a bus at the Rest Area last year & come back after the Show with a tow dolly. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgdedge wrote:

There were a lot of trailer queens there. Driving them is the fun part. If I cant drive it, I don't want it.
Tim

Lots of trailer queens at a VW show...? We sometimes see a couple, but one of the good things about VWs is the fact that you drive them... (We mostly go to all-make shows around here. If there's a '57 chevy with high-gloss paint & lots of chrome, it was probably trailered in... There are lots of trailers where you see lots of those kinds of cars...)

We make it a point, where we can, to take the back roads with our VW - even though we have no problem keeping up with traffic. It's just not a pleasant drive with a crowd of 18-wheelers. Much better on the back roads. So, if we're visiting relatives by going around the Beltway (I495), in bad weather - we're going by Subaru. But when it's nice... the Ghia gets a pleasant trip on the back roads & GW Parkway...

With a few exceptions, we don't even take our Ghia to places that can only really be got-to by interstate...
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Maybe one of you vanagon drivers with lots of experience breaking down can give us some insight.

We tend to drive in groups of two or three with enough parts to build a complete Vanagon from a rolling shell! Cool

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried and failed to keep up with the procession of VWs in my 69 Bay on I-5 many years ago. The whole 25 mile trip I was wondering how in the hell these guys are doing 75 or 80. Freeway flier trannys? Built motors? Was I the only one with a stock drivetrain? I'll never drive to another show/meet like that. My Bay is happy at 55mph, but struggles mightily at 56.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
I tried and failed to keep up with the procession of VWs in my 69 Bay on I-5 many years ago. The whole 25 mile trip I was wondering how in the hell these guys are doing 75 or 80. Freeway flier trannys? Built motors? Was I the only one with a stock drivetrain? I'll never drive to another show/meet like that. My Bay is happy at 55mph, but struggles mightily at 56.

then your bus has some serious issues if that's all it will do

any aircooled vw made after '60-ish should be able to cruise at 60-65mph on the freeway with a stock drive train
the exception of course is going up hills or heavily loaded down

I have had split buses from the early '60 with smaller engines and lower gear ratios then your bay probably has that could do 60mph without any issues

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
awreed wrote:

then your bus has some serious issues if that's all it will do

any aircooled vw made after '60-ish should be able to cruise at 60-65mph on the freeway with a stock drive train
the exception of course is going up hills or heavily loaded down

I have had split buses from the early '60 with smaller engines and lower gear ratios then your bay probably has that could do 60mph without any issues

I agree.

It would do 60/65, but it wasn't happy. I've since pulled that motor and stripped it all the way down already. All the lifter bores were over spec, so I started over with another case... and basically everything else. I reused nothing and spared absolutely no expense. Here's the new motor mated to a rebuilt tranny:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2007cc with CB crank trigger. 44 webers. Got it tuned and balanced just perfectly a couple months ago and broke the motor in. When I took it out for a ride it started leaking fairly heavily from the bell housing. Either main seal, cam plug, or blew an oil galley plug. Still gotta pull the motor again to find out and fix it.

But rest assured that once I get my Bay back on the road she'll be a sleeper and will surprise a few.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: