Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Roof Rack Wood
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have a '67-ish SO-42 wood slat roof rack for my '67 Westy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had new slats made of white oak about 15 years ago and they coated it with something. The slats are beautiful but the coating is flaking off. This rack is rarely on the Camper and exposed to weather, so the wood is in great shape. One day I plan to disassemble the rack and carefully sand down the slats to remove the flaky older coating and then re-coat it. Can one of you wood guru's suggest a nice brush-on coating that would be "correct" and hold up? A product I can find locally, maybe at a Home Depot or Lowes? Your expert advice would be appreciated!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Not sure about the "correctness" of the coating, but I used a product from Lowe's called "Marine Varnish"...it think "Spar". It is supposed to hold up to the elements and meant for boat hulls and such. I actually used a couple coats on my baltic birch interior for the westy. I really liked the look, it has a bit more tint than the satin water based stain.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:
Bill,

Not sure about the "correctness" of the coating, but I used a product from Lowe's called "Marine Varnish"...it think "Spar". It is supposed to hold up to the elements and meant for boat hulls and such. I actually used a couple coats on my baltic birch interior for the westy. I really liked the look, it has a bit more tint than the satin water based stain.

I used the same stuff myself.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirbyland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to restore wood boats as a hobby, and I did the bed of a "Little Red Express" in white oak. I used a product (Smith Brothers Penetrating epoxy) to "plasticize" the wood, then you can use automotive clears on the wood, and it will adhere. Way too shiny- if you are going to try and reproduce the factory sheen- but the UV protection is hands down better than varnishes, and looks incredible if you want something to be better than original. It is a 2 part epoxy that is extremely thin- will penetrate up to an 1/8" if reapplied without allowing it to dry between coats. The stuff is unreally nasty to breathe, and should not be allowed to touch your skin- but the bed on the LRE- will likely out last me. USE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA- or you will regret it-
JimJonkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just kick the tumble weeds out of this thread and breath some new life into it Smile

This weekend i gave the rack off the 63 a tart up, i don't want to get too carried away re-galving etc, just restore the wood by sanding/oiling, and replace the screws. I'm a bit worried it might start to look like a repro if i go too far, i want it too look "old" but not too shabby...

So i'm thinking this is white oak or ash? Anyone know for sure?

otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimJonkers wrote:
I'll just kick the tumble weeds out of this thread and breath some new life into it Smile

This weekend i gave the rack off the 63 a tart up, i don't want to get too carried away re-galving etc, just restore the wood by sanding/oiling, and replace the screws. I'm a bit worried it might start to look like a repro if i go too far, i want it too look "old" but not too shabby...

So i'm thinking this is white oak or ash? Anyone know for sure?

Hi "JJkrs" was nice to meet you and you're amazing bus the other day. We made it back up nth with our treasure no problems. I would be wary about replacing the screws unless you really have to, If you do, hang on to them. From memory, on my 61 rack they are slotted, counter sunk, raised head with a distinctive chrome finish, and not that easy to replace. Pretty sure the slats are ash but cant say for certain. A bit of carnauba wax on the bows would be a good idea if you have the slats off, they are remarkably durable but can rust under the slats and by the clamps. Have fun with the bus and keep us posted...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JimJonkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise "huhu" good to meet the Westy guru's, be great to see your SO34 sometime, after all they're the only two in the country right?...
The screws needed replacing, they were badly rusted and several broke off and needed drilling out. Revived slats, new screws and the metal polished up it'll look great, but these old westy racks are pretty durable.
I had a repro (empi i think) rack on my old beetle, it got wet once and started rusting! I'd like to see it after 50+ years, it probably would have disintegrated years earlier....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: