Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vacuum Can Discussion Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you adjust it? You turn the peg the spring attaches to. VW/Bosch had a special tool that fit on it to help turn it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So you're sure it's 07024 canister then? It will move 5.5mm total?

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
badufay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see how to make that adjustment now...looking at things again, I can't say for certain that my can is stock for a 205T, the spring knob is set all the way back so any adjustment would be in the wrong direction. Just messing around, I did pull the weight spring out of an old centrifuge 009 distributor and hooked that up in place of my return spring. The 009 spring is a bit shorter but a lot weaker. I get a full 32' of advance now after I static time to 0, but all 32' is in by about 2000 rpm... So now I've managed to ruin all my stock springs trying to shorten them, am uncertain about my can, and am running not so great setup right now. I think once I get a new stock spring, I'm going to install my NOS 07017 can and run it as a 205K, after all it is with a 30-1 (105-1) ....or find me a (certain) 07024 can, and new spring
Previous: 2015 Golf S TDI, 6 spd man; 2015 Jetta SE TDI, 6 spd man; 12 Jetta 2.5L, 04 Jetta 2.0L, 02 Golf 2.0L, 98 Jetta 2.0L, 98 Golf 2.0L, 98 Cabrio 2.0L, 95 Golf 2.0L, 87 golf GTI 16 valve 1.8L, 86 Cabriolet 1.6L, 80 Audi 4000 1.6L, 76 Audi Fox 1.6L, 76 VW Beetle 1.6L, 74 Audi Fox 1.5L, 69 VW Beetle 1.5L
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested 25 loose 36 hp beetle vacuum cans yesterday on my Sun Distributor Machine. Only 8 of the 25 cans were bad. That is a success rate of 64%. The cans ranged in age from 54 years old to 60 years old. The 60 year old one still works fine by the way... check those sticky points plates folks.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of oddball vacuum canisters that need to be included in this thread. The first is used with the 1959 Ghia only from August 1959 until January 1960.

I am in need of one of these vacuum cans if any one has one- this one is no good.

Next is the early vacuum canister used on the VJU 4 BR2 from December 1953 until January 1954, less than 8 weeks. The same vacuum canister was then used from January 1954 until August 1954 on the VJU 4 BR 3. Finally it's use continued into early VJU 4 BR 8 production.

These very early vacuum canisters can be distinguished by the vacuum line fitting being raised away from the canister housing slightly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone identify what this can is for? The arm moves 4.75mm and the Germany is up side down from the nipple.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based upon the shape of the canister and the two mounting holes on one side and only one on the other I would guess 40 hp big cap canister. They were used from 1960 until 1964. They are the most common NOS vacuum canister. I would hesitate to say plentiful though.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Based upon the shape of the canister and the two mounting holes on one side and only one on the other I would guess 40 hp big cap canister. They were used from 1960 until 1964. They are the most common NOS vacuum canister. I would hesitate to say plentiful though.

Thank you sir. I figured it was the 07015 can but wanted to double verify it. I have three of these, 2 nos and 1 good used one I bought sometime in the past. Of course, I don't have any use for them but do need the cans for the 67 and 69 stock distributors..

Funny you say "so plentiful".. There's several of these in the classifieds and none for the years I need.

tasb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacuum cans rarely fail. I have restored more than 300 vacuum advance distributors of this vintage. I have less than a dozen bad cans in all that time. Look for a good used one. If your at a swap carry a small length of vacuum line for testing. It's best to test the vacuum canisters that are removed from the distributor.

You would be looking for a vacuum canister off of a 113 905 205 K or a 131 905 205. There is a star pattern on the backside of these canisters similar to the ones above.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vac-only canisters don't fail that often. However the DVDA units fail on the retard side all the time!!!

He'll need the 07017 for the 66-67 but the 07024 for the 69 unit. Which I'm sure he knows, as he's obviously read this thread through.

re: star pattern was on the 66-67 07017 cans, replacement ones, like I posted a photo of a few pages ago, don't have it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/576676.jpg

Now, has anyone ever ordered what RockAuto sells for that one?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1351808,parttype,7232

I don't seem to see them carrying one for the 07024 though.

-Andy
richardhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When rebuild, what and where are you purchasing the diagram material?
tasb

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know of anyone who is rebuilding the Bosch vacuum canisters successfully esp not to any quantity.

Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see that this thread has a lot of useful information. But I have one question. What kind of sealant is used on the diaphragms to seal them up after they have been taken apart from their cans? I'm trying to fix mine, and all it needs is to seal well, but I'm wondering what the best, longest lasting sealant I can use on this is.

Thanks!
tasb

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe any sealant was used. The earliest canisters used a paper diaphragm - until about 1970 and then rubber was used.

Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Can Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Super great thread!

My new-to-me '67 had the OEM 205 K with the proper can but it was leaking.

I found a beautifully rebuilt 205 K on eBay with the can and then read about it on then this thread and realized it has the 68+ can with too much advance. Sad

So, I have a 5 cans on the way (star pattern for 66-67) to clean up and find a proper functioning one and in the meantime have timed my Beetle at TDC static.

She runs very well like this but I want to get it all correct.

The good news is that I've bought so many distributors and cans I think I may have 2-3 extra in great shape so I'll have a backup and a few to sell to help get others' 66/67's correct! Very Happy
Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Can Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Just had to mention - Drove the little bugger to work today - She sure runs well on the 68-70 cannister set at TDC static.

Good response, idle, acceleration and no pinging.

I wonder if it matters much between the 66/67 and 68/70 can on the 205 K if you time it properly?

I am still going to get mine correct but what do you all think?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Can Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Warren wrote:
Just had to mention - Drove the little bugger to work today - She sure runs well on the 68-70 cannister set at TDC static.

Good response, idle, acceleration and no pinging.

I wonder if it matters much between the 66/67 and 68/70 can on the 205 K if you time it properly?

I am still going to get mine correct but what do you all think?

It's perfectly fine. Back in the day, when the original "star" 7.5 BTDC can blew out, you'd of replaced it with that 0 timing can you have now. The most important thing is to time it to the vacuum can, not the distributor. In many years on this site, I've never seen an NOS 67 distributor "star" vacuum can for sale. You can still find the 205T distributor vacuum cans NOS though they are getting pricy.

I wonder how many VW's out there are not running as well as they should due to someone reading the distributor number and setting the timing to it vs. the vacuum can that is mounted on it.

You can also measure the travel of the vacuum can arm to verify which can it is if it doesn't have the "star" pattern on the vacuum can. I did to compare the "star" 67 distributor can vs. the 1969 205 T vacuum can set at 0. There was a difference that this thread highlights.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Can Discussion Thread Reply with quote

I've seen them come up for sale before... I bought the one I showed earlier in this thread (which I've not yet needed to use) off of eBay several years ago. Replacement ones like the one I got don't have the star stamping on it though.
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Can Discussion Thread Reply with quote

And to muddy the waters, the star pattern also appears on the 40 hp vacuum canisters. You can instantly tell them from the later 113 K vacuum canisters because the 40 hp big cap canisters have three mounting locations where the later have only two.

The correct canisters were still available back in the day at the dealership (as above without the star pattern). The customer or the service technician needed to know the difference though and often they did not.

I would say 1 out of 20 distributor cores that I receive have the incorrect vacuum canister installed.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Can Discussion Thread Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I've seen them come up for sale before... I bought the one I showed earlier in this thread (which I've not yet needed to use) off of eBay several years ago.

Wow.. You're lucky to have found that 7.5BTDC NOS vacuum can! I guess I need to look a bit harder. TASB says the vast majority of these vacuum cans on these vacuum only distributors are still good on the distributors he has rebuilt. The "star" 67 vacuum can on my 67 bug is original and has no issues. I bought several used 205 "T" vacuum cans with some core distributors. All of these used "T" vacuum cans failed to hold vacuum! So, I have no spare "T" cans right now.

I did get lucky and bought several used distributors a guy was selling for $4 bucks each at the last VW swap meet I went to. I found a 205M distributor with the "star" vacuum can. It looked filthy on the outside. When I took it apart, I was shocked how clean it was inside and it showed very little wear. The fiber washers were perfect as well. I cleaned and lubed the internals. It cleaned up beautifully and the can was dent free and holds vacuum. By far, my best swap meet find I've scored. It's now my back up distributor for my 67 bug.

Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Can Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Well out of the 5 I received today only one is close to being okay to use...

They are all stiff and sticky.

6-7 bad out of 8. Rolling Eyes

Brick wall
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: