Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 floorpan with buttons for mats
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
usaf_sniper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: 1958 floorpan with buttons for mats Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am wondering how best to restore my original 1958 floorpans.
They are incredibly thick and solid except for some pitting on the interior side from where it sat uncovered with no body on it for several years (not my doing!) in a very few places there are some pinholes, but not more than a dozen or so. The underside retains factory undercoat, and the tunnel and ends of the frame still have factory black lacquer. I wish to save these pans not only because of their thickness compared to replacements, but also because they have the rubber mat buttons to hold the mats in, which I have not seen reproduced.
As a side topic, is my car worth more having these mat buttons?
What do restorers of this type of pan do to keep their mats in place if the pans must be replaced?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
-Steve
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Pan Buttons Reply with quote

The pan on my 58 was is the same condition as yours. I ended up welding in small replacement sections where the metal was thin. Wolfsburg West sells the buttons for the pans. I used a few on mine and have the remainder for sale in the classified section.
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usaf_sniper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Bruce. The only area on my chassis that needs a welded panel replacement is of course the battery tray, but it is good to know that Wolfsburg West sells the buttons because the two right by that area are missing. My post was mostly wondering about how to fix the pitting... It isn't deep, and if you were to hit even the most pitted area really hard with a hammer and listen closely, you can hear it making fun of you (in German, of course). Given that, I feel that if I can level the pits with something before paint, but with something less moisture prone than Bondo, I would have a better car than if I cut it all up. A friend from a hot rod group suggested a product called all-metal. Anyone have experience with this problem or that product?
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an interesting series of Youtube videos on All-Metal application ...but nothing on the manufacturer's (USC) website. Looks like it might do the trick ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 floorpan with buttons for mats Reply with quote

usaf_sniper wrote:
Hello all,
I am wondering how best to restore my original 1958 floorpans.
They are incredibly thick and solid except for some pitting on the interior side from where it sat uncovered with no body on it for several years (not my doing!) in a very few places there are some pinholes, but not more than a dozen or so. The underside retains factory undercoat, and the tunnel and ends of the frame still have factory black lacquer. I wish to save these pans not only because of their thickness compared to replacements, but also because they have the rubber mat buttons to hold the mats in, which I have not seen reproduced.
As a side topic, is my car worth more having these mat buttons?
What do restorers of this type of pan do to keep their mats in place if the pans must be replaced?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
-Steve

My advise if you need a pan replacement would be to cut out your buttons, say a four inch square of pan around the buttons and weld them into the replacement pans and grind down smooth and repaint. If you should restore your car and show it at a concourse event or points judged show like AACA and have knowledgeable judges you will get dinged for not having them. Because of the mat style you have it can sometimes be dangerous to not have them snapped in place, such as under hard braking where the mat might slide forward and interfere with the car pedals. There are three styles of pans made for the beetle. The first style is for the standard model, those pans have the buttons but no seat tracks and in place of the seat tracks have two studs coming thru a reinforced section of the pan and in the interior of the car those studs fasten to a claw and wingnut to hold the seat to the pan. The second style is the deluxe model for your year and has seat tracks and the buttons for the mats. The third style is the newest that have seat tracks and no buttons and use the large mat for the front sides combined and the rear side combined.

I have a 1965 111 which is called a "A" sedan ( 64 and earlier was just called standard ) and this 1965 "A" sedan is the last year to use the old, old style pan with the buttons and the studs in the floor instead of seat tracks. It's also powered by a fresh air 36hp engine, it's the last year for the 36hp engine as well.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the pitting or small holes you could use this:

http://www.por15.com/POR-PATCH_p_53.html

POR15 products are great, strip your pans down to bare metal and use their products to re-coat
117harv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't use POR products on anything I own.

For thin or pin holed metal, blast clean, and use JB Weld. JB Weld is heat resistant and can be drilled an tapped. I wouldn't use it in a large area, but works for spot repairs or tight areas where metal replacement is a challenge.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I POR 15d my pan last winter and was pretty happy with the results. I have heard a couple of complaints about it tho and would like to know your experience with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Mon May 25, 2015 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I POR 15d my pan last winter and was pretty happy with the results. I have heard a couple of complaints about it tho and would like to know your experience with it.

Don

Por 15 works very well if used per the instructions. Most people use Por 15 and then paint right over it which is a mistake. After putting down Por 15 on a clean surface rusted surface ( it needs this surface rust to bond ) you must use Por 15's Tie Coat Primer afterward. Then you can use your primer sealer over that and finally paint.
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of convoluted stories about Por15 right?
I wouldnt use the stuff myself, except for the PorPutty.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DP Epoxy Primer is my choice for a pan. Epoxy tough cure, easy to top coat (unlike POR15) good stuff, very water proof.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jzjames wrote:
Alot of convoluted stories about Por15 right?
I wouldnt use the stuff myself, except for the PorPutty.

Wrong, forget any stories and just read what needs to be done on the label
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good/works good for about a year or so, then...ooops!
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klassic Fab makes the correct floor pans for your car (the only correct ones on the market)

The Thing Shop makes the floor mat buttons that weld to the floor. That's your best route
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jzjames wrote:
Looks good/works good for about a year or so, then...ooops!

So how can you tell if it looks good if it has Tie Coat primer, primer sealer and paint covering it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: