Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Bay window type-4 automatic Bus rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sccasey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mpre info Reply with quote

sccasey wrote:

Last thing, you might want to check the tires

Just noticed "RAO8" printed on your tire tread in that underside shot. Nice!
arn29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for responding so slowly. I've been up at school drowning in work.

sccasey thats rad that you checked it out! I looked around and couldn't find anything with a decent engine trans and body for less that $3000 and i was able to talk the seller off a little from his price. Again this is all extremely new to me so I'm reading and learning as much as possible.

Right now the steering is tight and so are the breaks. I have a massive oil leak which is scary the entire bottom of the engine is covered in oil. I just hope nothing cracks from ice expansion while it sits outside for the rest of the winter. The new carbs are coming in and I'm excited to get a dual carb setup on it. even if they have to be rebuilt its far cheaper than buying new Dell's.

The inside is going to be totally custom. I plan of doing hardwood flooring, wood paneling, and opening up the cabinetry in the top for surfboards and a bed. I just need it to be mechanically sound and able to get registered. Everything else is secondary fun.

I bought a couple oil filters and am slowly going to have to clean the engine and find out whats going on. I don't have the funds to rebuild the engine but the gaskets could be shot too. And the Trans is knocking when it goes into reverse terribly. It was idling high and when i let it off it wouldn't knock until like 10 minutes after it would start up again without any changes. I really don't want to blow the automatic trans.

Also ball joint bushings are completely gone so i grabbed some of those. For those lines there are two and they run directly down the center of the frame and are completely slack. Heating, brake, steering? Im still trying to figure out. Sorry for my extremely unknowledgeable endeavor into this project but I learn as I do and hopefully as I keep reading ill get it down.

Cheers on the responses and ill get pictures up tomorrow of my problems!!
sccasey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Oil leaks Reply with quote

arn29 wrote:
I have a massive oil leak which is scary the entire bottom of the engine is covered in oil. I just hope nothing cracks from ice expansion while it sits outside for the rest of the winter.

From what I remember, the engine was "wetter" at the back (around the pulley) than the front (at the tranny), so I'd start with that main seal. Seen similar on lots of old cars and bikes -- seals go from sitting/age. So even if low miles, always good to replace all the seals and gaskets you can. Most are pretty easy, such as valve covers, pushrods, oil filter/screen. Not sure if replacing the main seal behind the pulley is possible w/o dropping the engine, but thinking it should be. Comments here or a quick search will tell.

And don't worry too much about ice -- one of the benefits of having an air-cooled engine (no coolant to freeze).
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

front (at the tranny) = Flywheel/ Main seal

back (around the pulley) = Pulley seal
arn29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I've been getting more and more acquainted with the bus lately. Dell's came in and need some advice on. Probably should buy rebuild kits but they look very clean and throttles are very smooth.

The bus has been buried in 3 feet on snow over the past few weeks but fired it up for first time in 2 weeks and didn't hesitate the first time i turned the key which was very nice. Sadly, but i bet its usual, I'm finding more and more rust as i look farther and farther.

New ball joint boots are coming in, sheet metal, engine seal. I haven't been able to get under the bus because of the snow to check out where the oil is coming from yet. Tommorow I'm going to start the process of wiring and correcting the PO newly installed wiring harness that it out of whack!! Fuses aren't where they are supposed to be and wires are hanging everywhere. its something I can't hide from :/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
arn29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are your thought? Should i sent them out for a rebuild or get a rebuild kit and swap out all the old gaskets?
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine pic is very blurry which makes things difficult. Sharper pics would help people spot things and help you. I find I need a lot of light or my pics come out blurry from slow shutter speed.

Looks like a facet fuel pump back on the firewall. Check fuel pressure, it may be too high for the Dells. You would want a regulator or different pump. Supposed ly the Facet puts out correct pressure but word around is they can run way high. This will challenge you floats in the carbs and may flood fuel into your crankcase.

Also look under the engine at the front on the right. See if an old mechanical pump is still there. They die and people slap on an electric to keep going. You want to remove it and it's pushrod and put a block-off plate there. Good place to look for an oil leak too.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PITApan wrote:
You want to remove it and it's pushrod and put a block-off plate there.

No. You leave the rod in the case to maintain oil pressure in the gallery that feeds the pump rod. Oil peeing out of that hole is better served in the bearings or lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arn29 wrote:
what are your thought? Should i sent them out for a rebuild or get a rebuild kit and swap out all the old gaskets?
You should send them out.

You will need a Dellorto manual so get that and look through it.

Look at the stud at the base of the air cleaner where the cross rod (between carbs) attaches. Does it have a ball on the end of it? Is there a socket in the cross rod that goes over that ball, maybe lined with a plastic bushing?
arn29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for no updates the bus has been snowed in since I got it home! So good news a good friend of mine has restored quite a few buses in his time and is willing to help out. I have snapped couple pics so you guys can get a little more aquatinted with the bus! Dell's are going out to get rebuild and I got new rear corners, ball joint boots, heating fan, tubing, and a few other things.

So there are still a ton of problems. The PO cut up the entire wiring harness so thats the next step. maybe 10% of the things work which is no fun. got the m-plate coded and i guess it was a 7 passenger bus converter to a hightop. might I say poorly :/ but I love it still. Engine seals/gaskets are leaking in the back or farthest away from trans.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you are wondering.

Tcash wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6560827#6560827

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7574214#7574214
arn29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks on that had NO idea what was supposed to go in there
arn29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking a lot and i really want more power in the bus for the future and have been thinking about engine conversions... then i started thinking about frame swaps. Has anyone ever put a bay window shell on a vanagon frame? Please don't criticize the idea... its just an honest question that seems like I could benefit from in the future with power and durability
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arn29 wrote:
I've been thinking a lot and i really want more power in the bus for the future and have been thinking about engine conversions... then i started thinking about frame swaps. Has anyone ever put a bay window shell on a vanagon frame? Please don't criticize the idea... its just an honest question that seems like I could benefit from in the future with power and durability

Somebody put a bay body on the frame of some tracked vehicle. Not much good off the snow. I bet you could get a 6x6 chassis under it too--heck, you could do absolutely anything. I mean, the bay body is the coolest thing since sliced liverwurst, now all you need is an equally cool chassis and motor.....

where's the 'stop following this thread' button?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go Subaru, regear or better yet get a subigears transmission and call it a day.

I love my swap. and when the rest of the fleet's engines burn out, I will love those swaps too

edit:

just realized you're automagic. you may need to go 4 or 5 speed.

I wouldn't waste my time with a frame swap. that's just me....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
arn29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was thinking too.. Combing through the subj swap threads it doesn't seem crazy the only area I need to research up on is the electronics and rewiring because I know only a certain number of connections and sensors are needed..

Converting it to a manual is the only thing id rather not do which is why Id try to swap chassis with an automatic vanagon... I drive an manual s10 in the summer but would rather have an automatic so friends and family could drive it too
arn29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

School is out and I can finally get to the bus. Here are some update pictures. Cleaned up the engine, stripped the interior, and cut some rust.

Propane tank and other containers are going up on the classifieds.
arn29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive gotten more work done on the bus. Still waiting on lifted spindles from wagenwest.. once they are in ill order the BFG alt's

Also wondering where i should send out my Dellorto's for a rebuild??? Also seems like some parts are missing on one carb.

I stripped the rust off the floor and put down 2 coats of por15 of the deck and floor. I have yet to do the front floor because i need to patch some areas.

Also started on getting the metal work done on the exterior. Have the rear corners mocked up but a thunder storm is rolling through so i couldn't tac them on

finally starting to figure out some reasons the engine is so weak. the heater boxes and exhaust have massive holes in them. So I'm looking for a donor bus local before I have to buy retail. The wiring is still a mess but slowly getting things connected
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: