Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Squareback with Suby under the lid!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should make more of your radiator mount,radiator intake shroud, and muffler and sell them as a kit on here
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caleb0101 wrote:
You should make more of your radiator mount,radiator intake shroud, and muffler and sell them as a kit on here

caleb101 Thanks for the confidence, but I'm not much of a fabricator to be able to reproduce this stuff. I do have to say that the fan shroud is pretty damn cool. Look at Youtube, There is some pretty cool ideas out there. Everything I did was just look at it, think about it, measure a hundred times and then start. I was forced to take my time and it has paid off. If I had tried to accomplish this in 6 months, it would have failed. I never set a time limit and I am glad I didn't.

Couple of things to do. A O2 sensor and clean the IAC. It has started to idle fast at weird points during warm up. So haven't driven it much, but what little I have I like a lot.
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so over the last month or so, I started having a idle issues. I was trying everything and kept running into the same problem. After warm up, around 190 degrees the idle would jump up really high and the fans wouldn't kick on. If I shut it down during this time, it wouldn't start again. I was resorting to re-setting the computer to get it to start.
I was trying everything I could think of and kept running into the same problem. Every time I thought I got it solved it would show up again.
I tried un-hooking the VSS simulator. Same results. Cleaned the IAC, no change.
So back to square one. As simple as this sounds it wasn't that easy to figure this out. I unhooked A 20 ground, and B 10 Neutral switch. Had to adjust the idle at the IAC, and low and behold, no high idle or issues. Drove it around and it ran, started, stopped, and did everything like it should.
Funny, somewhere in the beginning, I had both of these un-hooked, but after some stall issues, I hooked them up.
I stuck with "Trying the easy stuff first". Glad I did. I was thinking everything from bad ECM to throttle position sensor.
As of today, I have a smooth running easy starting car.
Corysvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the latest on your square? Any heat issues?
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have to say I didn't succeed with the rear radiator. I started driving around during the day near the middle of summer and it failed. Temps climbed and it would go right back into the high idle, hard starts and just plain craziness.
I honestly believe that I was this close. The fan could handle an idle but not driving conditions. If I had been able to get both fans over the radiator I think it would have worked, maybe.
It was 50/50 if it was going to succeed. It didn't. To bad. At least I tried.
I was back at square one and trying to figure out how to move the radiator to the front.
Research turned up a guy on the "Volkzone" in England who has a Notch with a turbo Suby. I am replicating his work.
I fit the stock rad in the front, after losing the tubular bumper brace. Cut the front apron so the bumper hides most of the cut and most of the inlet is below the bumper.
It has been slow going. To many projects that have taken priority but I am almost finished.
I will post pix and let you know if it has succeeded.
Anyone know of a good chin spoiler that would fit a late type III?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was one from an early GTI that worked on type 3's it was flexible enough to follow the chin. its written about in the type 3 section a lot , just gotta do a simple search.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you rented a MIG from Home Depot? Was it flux-cored, or gas shielded? I use a flu-cored and am contemplating getting the gas shielding upgrade.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:
You say you rented a MIG from Home Depot? Was it flux-cored, or gas shielded? I use a flu-cored and am contemplating getting the gas shielding upgrade.

It was the flux core. I was welding mild steel square tube, flat bar and exhaust pipe. If cleaned everything really well with a wire brush, I usually had good penetration. When I got in a hurry is when the bird shit appeared.

If I have the time this weekend, I will start bending my coolant pipes. Other than that the only thing left is re-routing my air filter/intake. I have more room with the radiator and fan up front.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone know of a good chin spoiler that would fit a late type III?

the kamei superbeetle one works, its a bumper mount and sweeps back more than the standard beetle.
This is an original kamei off the wife's car, I already have the mold made for a copy for the square.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this guy used one to hide the front rad in his super
http://www.gerrelt.nl/section-aerodynamics/other-modifications-front-spoiler.html

which is what I'm guessing you're looking for

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

OK. Finished placement of the radiator up front. I used 1 inch 16G aluminum pipe that I picked up from Lowes. They come in 8 ft lengths. Ended up using 4 pieces. I have 3 sections on each side. I used silicone rad hoses that reduced down from 1.5 inches to 1 inch at the radiator and the engine side. Used 1 inch straight pieces at the joints in the middle of the tube runs.

Sorry no pix yet.

My weird idle issues have been solved with the replacement of the temp sensor that the EMC was receiving a signal from. This $25 piece created more havoc than can be imagined. Not until I was working on my sons Isuzu Trooper did I discover that this was the culprit. Once I replaced it it ran perfectly.

I have successfully driven around town without a single issue. It runs great and strong. No stalling, no idles issue, no over heating, nothing but smooth runs. The temp stays at a steady 185. I haven't had a single time that the fan has kicked on, yet.

I will try to get more pix up soon.
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

Take a look. The sheet metal seals the radiator along its edge and follows the shape of the car. It is sealed top and bottom, and both sides. The sheet metal is screwed to the rad frame and the car. There was no need to make an additional frame. The sheet metal acts as an insulator and frame all in one.
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

Corysvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

Looks good, that's the route I'm going to be taking on my swap. Have any other pictures of the plumbing of the water lines?
gm4lnch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

I am getting ready to do the same. I have a 72 Squareback and a 92 Legacy. Why do you think your rear cooling failed? Do you think it was because you used the stock cooling hole where the bellow went or lack of a second fan or do you think just not enough air flow? I am thinking about cutting the inner area to fit the fan perfect and to leave both fans on the radiator, I might even hook them up to a switch together so i can turn them on instantly to help keep temps down. Also how much did the motor stick up out of the lid? Who did you use because I might try to use the same guy to remake my intake and what not. I live just north of you a bit in Aurora. Would love to see this car in person to get some ideas off of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

gm4lnch wrote:
I am getting ready to do the same. I have a 72 Squareback and a 92 Legacy. Why do you think your rear cooling failed? Do you think it was because you used the stock cooling hole where the bellow went or lack of a second fan or do you think just not enough air flow? I am thinking about cutting the inner area to fit the fan perfect and to leave both fans on the radiator, I might even hook them up to a switch together so i can turn them on instantly to help keep temps down. Also how much did the motor stick up out of the lid? Who did you use because I might try to use the same guy to remake my intake and what not. I live just north of you a bit in Aurora. Would love to see this car in person to get some ideas off of.

Before I answer your questions, I have to say that I have slacked on updating this thread. I'll use the typical excuse of life getting in the way.

First, I use the car as a daily driver. I completed the plumbing of the rad to the front and added an under dash heater. The car runs great. I have issue to address other than the actual conversion, that probably will take if off the road for a while. But waiting to address these this coming spring.

To answer your questions GM4; IMHO the rear rad did not work d/t the lack of a natural draft that is obtained in a front rad car. If you look at it from this angle, the air flow does not have a rear exit. It has to flow across the rad, which actually is up stream. Probably wrong, just know it didn't work. I do know my front rad works great. You say cut the inner area; I would hesitate cutting this area! My fan worked off of the temp gauge as controlled by the ECM. Just couldn't keep up with the temps. The motor does not stick up out of the lid! My rear deck close as before! This was a must in order to complete the swap. I had the intake modded to eliminate the upward angle that the intake has naturally. I tried to find the guy who did the welding on the intake. His shop is closed. Anyone who can Tig aluminum, can do the job. reference my previous pix.

I will update the thread with pix soon. No life in the way excuses. I missed 2017 Bugs on the Green d/t trying to selling our home this past summer. Thought I would make it.

Here are some of the things I want to go back and update/revise. I used engine.com speed sensor thingy. The car takes longer than normal to idle down when cold. If I drive off w/o letting it idle down, it idles high until almost at normal temp. Not the biggest deal, just don't like it. I will address with Small Cars speed sensor and wheel of death in the future. The under dash heater works FANTASTIC. I don't like how I had to route the coolant lines under the car through the front trunk into the passenger compartment. I have been thinking about placing it under the rear seat and using the channels to get heat to the front. My reasoning is I can eliminate the lines to the front, thereby eliminating all of the problems of having lines exposed under the car. Yes I ran the heater lines off of the engine coolant circuit as Subaru did. I also use a Ford 4 way heater control valve (vacuum controlled) that I modded to work off of the electronic heat control. I can get warm to hot heat as needed. I know pix, pix pix!
I would recommend anyone who has the cash to consider the Subarugears. I want this in a bad way! At 55mph, she winds out. She easily does 80, just screams. BTW I average 30mpg with easy city driving, 28 when I like to show that it isn't as slow as you might think!

Things that almost derailed the project; Speed sensor. I experienced odd idling, fans running when cold and F____ing gremlins. I kept having to change the temp sensor with new ones after 2 hours of driving. Finally figured it out that the ECM needed a speed sensor. I am telling you this took 6 months of BS trying to figure this out! If you have weird issues, look at adding a speed sensor!

I need an answer to this if anyone knows, What Pilot bearing should be used into the rear crank shaft?

GM4, let me know when you want to take a look. Those who have seen it, like it.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

I am the T-4 guy and always debated the T-4 conversion vs the Subie. My most resistance is the major amount of fabrication and the addition of water complicatons, vs the simpler bolt up of the T- 4 without multilatoin of the classic body.

That said I would I am very impressed and like to congratulate you on your conversion. Great fit and stock sleeper look to the Sqbk. !!!!! Also the fact of you not giving up that radiator,ha.

The T-4 Squareback was always my wifes favorite car.

Great combo - Subie – Sqbk. And not much body cutting!!!. Very Nice.

I am sure you will enjoy driving it!!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

Nextgen Thnx! Nothing that cant be accomplished by anyone here.
As I said, my goal was to keep it under the rear deck lid

Initially I tried to keep the radiator in the rear. As I have said that failed! Once I realized I had to move it up front, I had some adjustments to consider. My original design had the fill bottle going straight into the rad. I had to come up with a solution that kept the bottle at the highest point.

This was it. I also used 1 inch aluminum pipe from Lowes from the engine to the radiator. No pix, but I made a jig out of 2 x 12 to bend the pipes. If I had planned on a radiator up front from the start, my layout would be different.

At first I didn't have a heater, so I only had two pipes running to the front. The first winter mandated a heater. I did not want to tie into the 2 lines going to the radiator. I felt the best option was to use the heater circuit off of the engine for the heater. This required running 2 more lines up front. The lines for this are 5/8 inch tubing rapped in pipe insulation, zip tied to the radiator pipes. You can also see the fuel pump in this last pix.

I do not see anyone else talk about this! Its a roll over switch. If hit hard, it breaks the circuit to the fuel pump and stops fuel from flowing. Easy pickings at the junk yard. Came out of a Ford Windstar mini van.

The control valve for the heater is off of a Ford. It was vacuum controlled. I merged the heaters electronic control to the Ford bypass valve. This allows adjustment of my heat. It is crude, but it is on its second season and works without any issues. I did this in part because of the long run of 5/8 aluminum pipe. I felt this would add to the warm up time if I allowed it to also circulate through the heater without being able to be shut off and shorten the circuit.

This is the Subaru radiator. I would not have done this to the radiator cap if I had known I would end up placing the rad up front. This was in my attempt to place the rad in the rear. down the road I will pick up another radiator and use the radiator cap as a secondary fill point. When and if I do, I will use a higher pressure cap than what is at the fill bottle. I stayed with a single radiator fan. Doesn't run very often. The air is forced out the space where the spare tire used to sit.

I copied someone else in England who has a Notch with a turbo. His cut out for the radiator is very similar.

And the heater as it sits today.

There are things that I want to go back and improve upon as I get the chance. But right now it is functional, reliable and a daily driver.
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

Couple more pix that I didn't get in.

D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

Trying to show alternator bracket and spacers with A/C idler.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

Amazing project and nice work!

I am just wondering if you could used a couple small heater cores and fans under the car in the trans axle area to blow heat into the stock heating system?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: