Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1995 jetta III GLS
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modockid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: 1995 jetta III GLS Reply with quote

just bought it today , don't know alot the water pumpers(im an old aircooled fan). Anyway its a generational gap that i finally crossed it the vw world .
so it's a 1995 jetta III gls 2.0 5 speed manual trans loaded. I paid $700 with a reconstructed title 164,000 so,e odd miles . what do i have and what performance mods would make this 20 year old car smoke the ricers on the track . I wont be street racing this car(just the track ) however it will be street legal for daily driving ....
Knowledge is power , and i have alot of knowledge!
"you can't buy cool ,you gotta build it !"
cut wled grind, make it work , dont let it work you !
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't call them "2.slow" for nothing. What kind of "track" driving are you talking about? What kind of budget do you have. Reliable speed is not cheap and most "ricers" on a "track" will leave you way behind on the straights and in the corners.

Most bolt-ons will gain you 15-25hp and anymore than that will require machine work and /or boost.
modockid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
They don't call them "2.slow" for nothing. What kind of "track" driving are you talking about? What kind of budget do you have. Reliable speed is not cheap and most "ricers" on a "track" will leave you way behind on the straights and in the corners.

Most bolt-ons will gain you 15-25hp and anymore than that will require machine work and /or boost.

drag track, machine work is not an issues , budget not an issue. the guy i bought it from said that his has 300 at the ground and he's trying to get 600 to the ground , i figure that after a few months of research i'll start building the car . i just want a sleeper that will chew up a ricer.off the line
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should have started with "it's not stock and already has a turbo on it". And it must be a pile if you got it that cheap.
modockid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modockid wrote:
ps2375 wrote:

drag track, machine work is not an issues , budget not an issue. the guy i bought it from said that his has 300 at the ground and he's trying to get 600 to the ground , i figure that after a few months of research i'll start building the car . i just want a sleeper that will chew up a ricer.off the line

Wow, i'm glad your so clairvoyant, and so much smarter than i am. you gathered so much information off of my first and second post .
let me start over
#1 1995 vw jetta III gls four door 2.0 five speed manual " loaded" 164,000 some odd miles ,never been raced/modified ie stock . has a reconstructed title ........... (not worth a whole lot because it's been wrecked )
#2 In the world i live in the most common type of racing is street drag racing (ie the fast and furious series ) .
#3 i want to strait line drag race at the track with a light tree (which is sanctioned, legal and safe(from the cops)
#4 its bone stock
#5 should i use a vr6 6 cylinder to start with or what parts are available. to modify the 2.0.
#6 there are machine shops around portland that will do jobber work for a price.....
#7 you don't need to be condescending with me , i'm not stupid.
#8 things that i already thought about , turbo, cold air kit , strut support bar , body kit , disc brake kit, shocks and suspension, nos/or not, racing seats, roll cage , carbon fibre hood , rear trunk carbon fibre hood etc etc etc .
my question is...................... what websites have these kind of parts and who has the best service .......
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's stock, it has maybe 95hp "to the ground".

Go read around the VWVortex site. Your goals are vague and will need to be better defined before you get too far into your "build". GL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: