Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More help needed with gas heater
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: More help needed with gas heater Reply with quote

So after rebuilding the fan motor, cleaning and adjusting everything and reinstalling the heater in the car, I fired the heater up for the first time in who knows how long. We've owned the thing for 6 years and the previous owner last registered it in the 90's.

So the heater fires up and runs great for about 5 min. There was some smoke at first then everything stopped. The fuse in the block fried and everything shut down.

Now I can't get it to start up at all. After letting it cool I replaced the fuse and turned it on... pop! blown fuse. Push the heat lever in.... blown fuse. Jump the wires from the timer... blown fuse again. I've literally tried everything in the sticky and then some.

After messing with it for a few hours, I finally hooked up an amp meter to it. It's pulling 19 amps no matter what. Here's what I've tried

Cleaned ground connection
White wire off glow plug
Fuel pump fuse out
Black/Yellow wire off common on temp switch
Red wire off temp switch
Blue/White off temp switch
All wires off temp switch
Thermostat in or out
All of this with the ignition on and off

None of this has any effect on it, it always tries to pull 19 amps

Anyone have any ideas?
OUR THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: more help needed Reply with quote

Try adjusting the Safely Thermal Cutout Switch. The screw under the blown fuse
Jeremy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuse that keeps blowing is the 16 amp in the fuse box, not the one on top of the heater. I've adjusted the screw on the cutout switch per the manual and it still has no effect on the situation. I'm tempted to throw a 20 amp fuse in and starting it to see if I can figure out what is shorting out.

The most confusing part is that I didn't have an issue until it heated up. The only thing I can think of is the thermal switch is bad, but without having the heater running its hard to determine. The ohms make it seem like the switch is fine.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: any help Reply with quote

Jeremy wrote:
The fuse that keeps blowing is the 16 amp in the fuse box, not the one on top of the heater. I've adjusted the screw on the cutout switch per the manual and it still has no effect on the situation. I'm tempted to throw a 20 amp fuse in and starting it to see if I can figure out what is shorting out.

The most confusing part is that I didn't have an issue until it heated up. The only thing I can think of is the thermal switch is bad, but without having the heater running its hard to determine. The ohms make it seem like the switch is fine.

I have a romtoc cd that has some of the heater info but for the problem you describe, the flow chart says just check for shorts.
Which with an answer like that can be mind numbing... but here is the flow chart for what it sounds like you're experiencing.

like this:

Problem:
Heater does not ignite; heater goes out spontaneously-
Insufficent batt voltage?
-yes, charge battery or start engine
no >
is the 16 amp fuse in the positive line blown?
yes: check electrical system for short circuits
no: after the bi metal has cooled off, push red lever of safety switch to right, pull knob on reg switch all the way out.

>>does heater ignite now?
yes: does temp switch cut out the glow plug appx 45 sec after actuation?
NO: set repair or replace temp switch, check response time of safety switch and adjust as necessary.

I went further with the flow chart to maybe give some ideas.

I have not had much trouble with mine other than the fuel pump was frozen and I had to replace the timer.
on occasion mine will trip the breaker on the heater, but it seems if I don't run it "wide open" on heat, it runs fine.

with all those exposed ended spade connections a short is possible on the heater or under the dash.
maybe try to remove a few items from the process, like the fuel pump, see if the fan motor blows, basically try to determine when the heater is blowing the fuse, is it the fan or the heat cycle causing it.

try to be patient with this too, bigger fuses can melt other things.

under the Samba "Technical" there is some info on these heaters as well as the Sticky. Keep on it and keep asking maybe you can trigger a memory from the guys that have really sliced and diced these heaters on repairs.

hope this helps at all, good luck!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: