Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front sway bushings
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Front sway bushings Reply with quote

I've ordered the bushings for my front sway bar which are the commonly available kit with brackets (which are completely the wrong shape) but the black rubber bushings are too small. There is no way they would have stretched enough to get it over the flared end so I cut it and when the bushing is place over the bar it's like an inch open. I have searched but is there a larger bushing kit?
Help is appreciated in advance.
Sr.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had trouble with the keeper sllding onto the bracket before. Smashing it with a large C clamp worked for me.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you have a HD sway bar? I think they're 3/4" while standard ones are 1/2"?
Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a good chance I am not playing with the standard. Here are some pic's There is no way in the world that this can be right Smile I know the metal band can be tough to close but this would be impossible. Any idea on where to get the HD bushings? The sway bar does have a VW stamped logo so I thought it was OG.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a few searches I think stock was 5/8" and HDs are 7/8". Maybe contact Bus Depot?
rickfox96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine from CIP1.ca and they were for a Brazilian bus. At first it didn't look like the bar would fit through the hole but after putting a little grease on the bar it slide on. The issue I had was there was no way the clamp would fit without trimming a little off the outside of the bushing. I had c-clamps on it but size of the control arm must be bigger on the German buses. I didn't have to trim very much to get the clamp on, maybe 1/8". If I had to do it again I would make sure to get the bushings for a German bus.
Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's. Have been searching but have not found the bushings only for the HD bar for a Westy. They are allusive. I am SURE that the ones I had were too small. Brings to mid the expression that you are not going to cram 10 lbs of flour in a 5 lb bag.
I read an article that referenced some coming from German Supply that were the red ones, but all that is on their site are the same black rubber I see everywhere and look to be the same ones I already ordered in error.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked online to see what bushing VW made. As far as I can tell they listed only one bushing for the bay. The splits have a sway bar similar to that one so you might take a close look to see if someone mounted a split sway bar on your bay.

Ratwell Bay standard and HD bar http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EssentialUpgrades.html

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I looked online to see what bushing VW made. As far as I can tell they listed only one bushing for the bay. The splits have a sway bar similar to that one so you might take a close look to see if someone mounted a split sway bar on your bay.

Since he says the clamps aren't the correct shape for a Bay and his pictures show that the bushing isn't the correct shape either, then it would be my guess that he has a Split Window bushing kit and along with a larger than standard Bay sway bar.
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got thru upgrading my front sway bar and bushings. I ordered the clamp kit and it's basically throw away (see Ratwell for more info). About the only thing I kept was the sliding plates with the tab you bend up after sliding onto the clamp. The kit came with what appears to be the correct size bushings for the stock bar. The ones that came in my kit are not split, you would have to grease them and slide them on the end. The only reason I ordered it was I had heard horror stories of removing these clamps. Mine slid off fairly easily.

Another shot of my original:

And here is the hardware that came off when uninstalling. Wasn't expecting the small metal plates where the clamps came together so not sure if they are stock or not.

Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info. The standard bushing are too small no doubt. I used a dremel to cut them in order to get them on. I will check out the split bar. That could be the answer. It does have the hole that bolts it arm, I was under the impression the split away had two bushings and brackets like the bug sways. Really I can see the 7/8" bars which is what I think I have its just a matter of finding somewhere that sells the urethane bushings without the bar.
I need to dig deeper.
Thanks
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floo420 wrote:
Thanks for the great info. The standard bushing are too small no doubt. I used a dremel to cut them in order to get them on. I will check out the split bar. That could be the answer. It does have the hole that bolts it arm, I was under the impression the split away had two bushings and brackets like the bug sways. Really I can see the 7/8" bars which is what I think I have its just a matter of finding somewhere that sells the urethane bushings without the bar.
I need to dig deeper.
Thanks

I'd be interested to hear if you find a source for the HD sway bar (7/8") bushings. I was looking for a spare set and couldn't find any either. Good luck! Hoping mine (pic'd below) last several years. Would be good to find a source for the bushings and German clamps for these HD bars.

deezal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a pair of HD bushings from ADDCO Manufacturing . They have a website www.addco.net

Hope this helps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deezal wrote:
I just got a pair of HD bushings from ADDCO Manufacturing . They have a website www.addco.net

Hope this helps.

There ya go! you beat me to it. I put a set of ADDCO sway bars on my camper. ADDCO has an extensive catalog of product. I would have been more surprised if could you not get these bushings from them. Wink
Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip with ADDCO. A member here stepped up and offered me a spare set he had from there. Great community we have here.
These are not easy to find though, I thought they would have been easier.
Thanks to all!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lintbrush wrote:

And here is the hardware that came off when uninstalling. Wasn't expecting the small metal plates where the clamps came together so not sure if they are stock or not.

The small metal plates are factory on early models. Not sure about late bays. It's likely that your sway bar has never been off the bus before. The plates are a pain to get on with the clamps, so I can't imagine any hourly shop rookie going to the lengths to put them back on.

Bentley also said to use new bushings and clamps when reinstalling, but I went renegade and reused my 45-year-old ones. I know they will still last longer than anything from a blister pack.

My two cents,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie
The reason I'm changing them is because the old metal clamps rusted off. So I will have to use new ones. Hopefully they will go on alright. It's sure like anything aftermarket they will illfitting and a pain in the ass.
Thanks for the tips. Never boring...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: