Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mk3 Jetta 2.0 rev limit issues
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rdgenKen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Mk3 Jetta 2.0 rev limit issues Reply with quote

I have a 1996 ABA 2.0 Jetta I have tried everything I can think of to get my rev limter from coming on at 5k RPM. I recently installed an ECU chip from a repudtable tuning company with a 6,800 rev limit and I still have the same issue, so far with my trouble shooting I have: checked and rechecked all of my timing marks, cleaned all engine harness connections, ground terminals, vacuume lines, ran premium fuel, installed a better flowing air filter housing, replaced my plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, new cam positioning sensor, cleaned my throttle body and mass air sensor replaced my impulse sensor (speed sensor) and replaced my Intire ECU itsself, non of this has helped, if anyone has advise on something I have missed I would greatly appreciate it
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, any aftermarket airfilter(cone) will make more noise and less power than the stock airbox. And you don't mention if the motor is stock or you have any mods. A stock motor won't make much useable power over 5K rpm and it might feel like it has hit a limiter. And at Denver altitude and N/A motor will be down on power as it is.
3rdgenKen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Generally, any aftermarket airfilter(cone) will make more noise and less power than the stock airbox. And you don't mention if the motor is stock or you have any mods. A stock motor won't make much useable power over 5K rpm and it might feel like it has hit a limiter. And at Denver altitude and N/A motor will be down on power as it is.

It's a stock motor, still factory air box just with a few extra 3" holes in it and 2.5 magnaflow exhaust. the thing is that the problem is intermittent, somtimes it rev's (and pulls decently w/ the chip) till 6k. before the chip install it would start backfiring at 4,500 rpm
That's also before I got my timing fully dialed in too though, now about 90% of the time right when I get around the 5k mark it starts backfiring out the the exhaust and cutting out, could it be my distributore? It's the only part I have not replaced yet, I was told it could be be my speedo sensor, but I bought a new one and it didn't help
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tthe speedo sensor has nothing tio do with how the motor runs. The crank position sender has everything to do with timing (in the block behing the oil filter). The hall sender in the dist (aka cam position sender) only tells the ECU where TDC for #1 is to setup sequential injection. You'll note that if you unplug the connector at the dist, the motor will still run, in batch mode for the injectors(and with a CEL). Rotating the dist does noting to timing, that is why they have those 2 pins installed to locate it on the bolt for the dist hold down clamp. If those are missing, pull the clamp and re-center the dist and see how it runs.

A stock OBDII cam is pretty much done before 6K rpm. A cam upgrade will get you more, but you can't do much in that department till you replace the single coil valve springs with a set of dual coil spring, cause the singles get into coil bind at very low lifts when compared to any of the dual coil sets(stock or HD).
3rdgenKen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back, yeah I assumed the distributor wouldn't help, but I'm just that out of ideas I also very recently replaced the cam positioning sensor :-/ I'm 100% planning on installing a cam a springs, that's the whole reason I got the ECU chiped, but I want to get this issue figured out before pumping More power out of the engine, also I don't rev it that high all that often, but when I do, I'd like for it to work properly. It's been a problem since I installed the engine a year ago, I always just figured it that my timing belt was off by a tooth or something. But as I've stated I've cheched that several times now and it's dead on. Do you think it could be an issue with my harness?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would doubt it's harness. Does it have any codes stored before or after a run to "find" the limiter?Do you have access to a VAG-Com scan tool? With it, you can actually see the misfire count. And what cylinder, if it is a misfire and you can see if it is going lean due to MAF under reporting airflow.
3rdgenKen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked the computer with both hand held and laptop versions of vag-com numors times and have even replaced the intire ECU, no codes or misfires are showing, this is maddening and would be one thing if it was constant but it's not all the time it does it, could it be a fuel shortage from a clogged filter of faulty fuel pump? The filter isn't more than a year old, but he'll, at this Piont....
But,
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a coil on your list, you might pickup a used one and see if that makes a difference.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have a cat on it? If it's partially clogged, it can act as a rev limiter.

Central Jersey VW Society
3rdgenKen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-month-old Cat and 9- month old coil, I'll read the code on MAF and see if the signal is 100%, I'll keep ya'll posted .
3rdgenKen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIXED!! it was a bad conector on the coil lol
Thanks everyone for your feed back Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: