Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Ball Joint IRS Ghia Handling Improvement?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my beetle i ran 165/15s up front and 195/65/15s in the back. handled pretty awesome that way, never really felt i needed bigger tires. also made sure the rear tires never locked up before the front tires did. steering was super easy, even when parallel parking

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurt912 wrote:
Are you happy with the balance as is? Or do you want more understeer? Or more oversteer? But with an IRS rear there isn't too much oversteer to mitigate anyway. I believe the Shop Talk forum thread is your best source of information. That guy knows what he's talking about.

Personally I find some oversteer more fun than understeer or "perfect 50/50 weight distribution".

Right now, I quite like the balance. I have the nose facing down so that has made the weight pretty close to 50/50. When I take a really hard corner, the car just kind of slides to the side without drama. I would like to have some more oversteer, but not to the point where I hit a tree backwards Laughing . For now I only want to mess with front end camber and make it about 4* negative camber so it handles better. Swaybars and everthing else will come later (about a week from now is when summer starts for us yuning')
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
Would the front's grip and the back's grip be too different? What about some 195s?
A 195 is a lot better, but you also have to consider gearing when you pick your rear tire.

Bloku wrote:
What about 4 lug sprintstars? How are those in the handling world? they would be 5.5" rims. Thanks for the help!

I don't know the offset of those wheels. You're looking for a wheel with at least 40mm offset.
As for handling, the biggest factor when you're looking at all the same dimension wheels (5½x15) is the wheel weight. Lighter wheels are better able to follow rough road surfaces.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
. I have the nose facing down so that has made the weight pretty close to 50/50.

This is a fantasy. There's nothing you can do to the suspension to alter the F/R weight bias. You have to move heavy things to do that. Like move the battery to the front by the gas tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
kurt912 wrote:
Are you happy with the balance as is? Or do you want more understeer? Or more oversteer? But with an IRS rear there isn't too much oversteer to mitigate anyway. I believe the Shop Talk forum thread is your best source of information. That guy knows what he's talking about.

Personally I find some oversteer more fun than understeer or "perfect 50/50 weight distribution".

Right now, I quite like the balance. I have the nose facing down so that has made the weight pretty close to 50/50. When I take a really hard corner, the car just kind of slides to the side without drama. I would like to have some more oversteer, but not to the point where I hit a tree backwards Laughing .

You should be having fun already then Smile . VW factory tire pressure recommendations induce a bit of plowing too. Pumping up the fronts a little will get the tail to come out more. (Just a few PSI, and do so at your own risk- my disclaimer).

I realize this may not be the advice you're looking for but if I may: I think you should try to enhance the experience and not transform it. "Cornering on rails" is for newer cars (vintage racers excepted). Currently I have 185s in front and 205s in back on 914 2 litre alloys. Can't wait to get rid of them. The steering isn't as light as it should be, the ride not as nice and it dilutes the whole "old car" experience. One can buy a used Boxster for the price of a nice Ghia but it really IS more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow. I also had way more fun trying to go fast in a speedster replica on 165s then actually going fast in a 944 on 225s.

Rolling Eyes Looked like I wasn't going to step off my soap box for a second. Just my two cents and I realize these cars are many things to many people. Cheers
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I had been thinking about this thread for awhile. Today I stumbled upon this post on some random forum about a ghia that I had seen a few times only to figure out that he is running coil overs in the front. I would like to know more about this for it is lowering and handling. Here is the link to it - http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=283957&page=4 . It is about half way down the page. He does not say much about where he got it or how he did it. All I can see is that he got coil overs and a bar (or 2?) to run through the old torsion bar housings. I really would like to do this, but I have no idea where to find these springs or bars Sad . Can someone help me out? I have done searches on the samaba and internet and I did not find much Confused . I found the guy on the samba but he has been inactive for over 2 years.... Thanks!
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
Ok. I had been thinking about this thread for awhile. Today I stumbled upon this post on some random forum about a ghia that I had seen a few times only to figure out that he is running coil overs in the front. I would like to know more about this for it is lowering and handling. Here is the link to it - http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=283957&page=4 . It is about half way down the page. He does not say much about where he got it or how he did it. All I can see is that he got coil overs and a bar (or 2?) to run through the old torsion bar housings. I really would like to do this, but I have no idea where to find these springs or bars Sad . Can someone help me out? I have done searches on the samaba and internet and I did not find much Confused . I found the guy on the samba but he has been inactive for over 2 years.... Thanks!

Using true coil-over shocks on a stock Beetle beam is not advised. The beam shock mounts are not designed to carry the weight of the car's front end, and can bend from the loads incurred during driving. This is why the aftermarket solutions that convert the VW from a torsion beam to a double A-arm configuration ditch the stock beam & develop a more substantial suspension solution.

In all reality, I don't see how moving beyond the stock beam on your car will yield greater handling than the rest of the car is able to accommodate. You already have access to information on creating great Ghia handling via mods to the factory torsion beam.

bnc

Last edited by didget69 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install a true coil over suspension from http://www.red9design.com/type1.htm if you want handling as the 1930's Bug front T bar setup limits you a lot.
If you want "cornering like on rails" buy a 914 as it's a way more advanced design
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: