Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil leak
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PNGPNG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: oil leak Reply with quote

OK I am new to the VW world. I am transitioning from the rock crawling jeep world.

SO I bought a trike that is based on a 72 Super Beetle and a Honda CB 550. The PO/builder did a lot of things that I consider less then ideal.

Problem at hand is.. the motor has developed what I would call a Major Oil leak. It looked like it was coming from the crank pulley area, but wasnt able to diagnose it more as on Wensday I Had Hernia surgery and havent had a chance to clean/ remove chrome parts to clean and look for leak.

What should I be looking for. Pretty mechanically inclined just new at the air cool vw thing.

Thanks in advance
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a seal at either end of the crank - one at the pulley and one at the flywheel. Likely that the seal is worn, old, or both. The crank pulley seal can be changed with the engine in place, the flywheel side the engine, of course, must be pulled. Get a mid-year Bentley manual (say, covering 1968-1972) as the engines really haven't changed much over the years and that will give you a step by step on how to tear things down and familiarize yourself with the motor.

Lots of how-to's on here as well, and YouTube of all places..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am resurrecting a 30 year old Puma and once I got the motor to run it started poring oil. It was coming from the fly wheel seal, push rod seals, oil pump gaskets, and oil fill gaskets. Any ways once I put a wrench on the thing I found almost every bolt on the motor was loose and way under torque specifications.

My advice is to check all the bolts holding the motor together.
PNGPNG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice....as soon as I am more mobile I will investigate the leak and report what I find. The leak is definately on the Crabk pulley end and not the rear main seal end.

From my visual inspection it is either coming from fuel pump, distributor or crank pulley.... its in that general area.
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no seal at the pulley location unless a sand seal was installed. You may have no crankcase venting to the intake air cleaner and/or excessive crankcase pressure from tired rings.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
PNGPNG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be blow by.. or at least the majority of the leak is blow by.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: