Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Lost Beauty
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TryToBeOriginal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: A Lost Beauty Reply with quote

Well with all the rain and flooding in Central Texas looks like I may have lost my car Sad I was on a break from restoration until I could get a garage of my own to finish it in. Had just got the floor pans in from WW and was half way through a Heater Channel Replacement.
River reached 31.09 feet last night and the garage it about 28'-29' so for sure the pan went under with the engine and spare engine. I had the body up on a stand but last time the river rose this high we got 3' in the garage so a lot of the body would be submerged. hopefully it didn't knock it over and crumple it but I guess we will see when the water recedes...
R.I.P.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up hope, fortunately the car is apart, and you are dealing with fresh water [not salt water]. It's possible with some good cleaning, you may be able to rescue much of it.

-jeffrey
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah don't give up. Anything can be fixed. There's a Thing the Domeck brothers saved from salt water damage.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TryToBeOriginal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to get out the garage this weekend and see the damage. I am just hoping it didn't manage to flip it on its side and slam it into the wall. The water was flowing at 44,000 cfs. As for the engine... that is gone. Probably also lost the Welder, air compressor and all air tools. as long as I can find them all I should be able to get that on the home owners but the car was uninsured because auto claimed it wasn't a car and Home owners claims it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is an insurance agent. If you have any issues, let me know and I'll have her help you.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hope something can be salvaged....
We're by Lake Conroe, not as bad as you area but it's a mess around here today.
Thinking that maybe the engine can be saved (or did you mean gone like washed away?) since it's fresh water.
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big deal at this point...just pull all sparkplugs and fill the cyls with oil, drain the crankcase of any water and start on other parts...you can always come back to the engine later...all is not lost...I had a 58 Chevy in a flood, and all was under water except the roof...within two days we got her up and running after draining all fluids...the interior eventually dried out, but it was saved to go another two years before I sold it....again, all is not lost ! Very Happy
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it dry ASAP and you should be OK. Even the tools could be OK if you can dry them out.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
TryToBeOriginal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have needed an excuse to bore the engine to a 1776 Smile maybe taking it apart will the that excuse. Now I just have to hope the garage is still standing when they get home tonight. I live in Austin but the car is at my folks place in Bastrop. They should be able to get back to the house tonight to get some photos in.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Now I just need some help with the rebuild Laughing
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dump some of those buckets of Simple Green concentrate in the garage water. Make your garage into a giant cleaning tank Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TryToBeOriginal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Just dump some of those buckets of Simple Green concentrate in the garage water. Make your garage into a giant cleaning tank Very Happy

Ha that should work.
so I got some photos yesterday of the garage and it looks like it managed to only take in about 1.5' - 2' of water so the engine was definitely under a little but I can rebuild that. pan may have been submerged but who knows maybe if floated with no weight on it and the tires full lol (doubtful)

BUT the body was not touched! With it being up so high I doubt it was touched at all. See lives to see another day... when I finish her Very Happy
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Keep this phoenix thread going!

-jeffrey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: