Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

83mm kit wont fit
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metoooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: 83mm kit wont fit Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 1200cc D code engine case that I've bought a set of AA 83mm over size kit to install in.

The problem is that the case cylinders opennings are 90mm and the AA cylinders are 87 at base.

Someone here face this issue?

Any idea how to solve this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like some body cut it [case] to fit 85.5mm [1600] cylinders, they are 90mm on the case openings stock.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 83mm kit wont fit Reply with quote

you might have a bus case .they were 1500cc they had a 69mm crank and 83mm clys spencerfvee
metoooo wrote:
Hi,

I have a 1200cc D code engine case that I've bought a set of AA 83mm over size kit to install in.

The problem is that the case cylinders opennings are 90mm and the AA cylinders are 87 at base.

Someone here face this issue?

Any idea how to solve this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: 83mm kit wont fit Reply with quote

D cases have the same size openings as a 1600, they had supper thick cylinders.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
metoooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found out that this is a later universal case, there are a sets of 77mm p&c kits with 90mm on buttom but it's very hard to find those.

Is there a way to make the order (87mm) type fit the new case ? (shims, spacers, rings...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some formula vee guy said they used Viton o-rings to fill the gap.

But I cant guarantee the longlivety of that.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a universal case. It's that VW changed the D series 1200 block to have the same 90mm openings in August 1969 as their other engines, along with 1200 cylinder/jugs sized to match... and all German 1200 D-blocks up to the end of production in early 1978 were made that way. D blocks made for model years 1966-69, same as the 61-65, had the smaller opening and that's what the big bore kit is for. As far as I know, there are no big-bore kits, only standard 77mm kits are available for those late 1200 German cases.

I've always been a bit skeptical about the whole Viton ring as a spacer thing. For a Vee where the engine runs only a few races before it gets torn down again, that's one thing, there's only a few heating/cooling cycles. But in a driven car that will see years of use under all kinds of conditions? I think I'd rather have something more than a synthetic rubber ring there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metooo, do you have any other engine parts for that case? Such as crankshaft, connecting rods, cylinder heads, flywheel? If not, you could use that case to build a 1679cc engine that does not require any case machining.

-Crankshaft: A 1200cc 40hp (34hp European) or later.
-Connecting rods: 1600cc stock type
-Camshaft: stock or slightly enhanced
-Cylinder heads- If your case is a single-oil pressure relief, then it'd be best to stay with single-port heads with the 35mm intake valve size and 32mm exhaust. To fit those 88mm thick-wall cylinders, the heads must be machined for the larger cylinder diameter. These are the ones, whereby they might not be easily available in your country- http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Piston-Cylinder-Set-88mm-x-69mm-Slip-In-p/vw8800t1k.htm

If you do not want to fit the larger cylinders and do no machining to the heads, then you can get standard 1600cc type 85.5 pistons/cylinders. Those will properly fit into your case openings. Can you trade your new BB 83's for a set of stock ones for 1600 engines?

Glutamodo- is this a feasible plan for him?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: