Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hazet Tool Kit Time Capsule
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Hazet Tool Kit Time Capsule Reply with quote

I picked up this Hazet spare tire tool kit today. The guy I got it from bought it when he picked up his brand new '58 Beetle. When he sold his car in 1962, he put the tool kit in a box and forgot about it. It hadn't seen daylight in 53 years until this week. It is 100% complete with all the tools it came with new. He did use it a few times, but the tools are probably as close to new as you can get. It could use a bit of a cleaning, and the case has some dings and scratches, but it still has that new tool smell!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Most of the little Hazet stickers are still there. Pretty impressive after all these years!

After doing some research, it appears to be a 500E kit sold between 1954 and 1957. I don't want it to sit in a box for another 50 years, but I would be pretty leery to leave it in my Beetle. I'll see how long my wife will let it sit on the coffee table.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That VW tool kit it is very nice condition Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Congrats on securing it Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

As far as leaving it on the coffee table . . . .

You are on borrowed time Wink

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoover Dam that thing is nice! I'd buy a clear backpack and carry that thing on my chest like that brain thing the short guy with the peepee helmet carried on Battlestar Gallactica! Bee Dee Bee Dee.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought since she puts things like plants and pictures of family I don't like on the coffee table, I could put something there that's my style. Turns out I was wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dustin . . .

Perhaps a coffee table in a man cave or in a garage would have possibilities Question Question Question

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a picture of the sticker inside the lid?
Thanks
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

I'm not sure why the decal shows the single ended 36mm spanner instead of the double ended one. Does anyone know if the same decals were used for all of the kits?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I decided to clean it up today. I actually thought the flocking inside the box was black, until I noticed a bit of blue peeking out under some of the tools. I couldn't find too much information on how to clean it, but there were lots of comments about the flocking coming off if you aren't careful. I decided to first clean it with light blasts of air from my compressor. That actually got rid of most of the dust and dirt. I then used a toothbrush with generous amounts of dish soap and warm water to scrub it. I let it sit for a few minutes, then rinsed it off. I did this process a few more times and it came out almost like brand new. I also cleaned up the tools and gave the case a coat of liquid wax to shine it up a little bit. Kind of like polishing a turd. I really wish I had taken a photo of the empty box before I cleaned it. The difference was really surprising. Now I'll see if it looks good enough to stay on display in the house. I think I know the answer though.

IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin wrote:

I'm not sure why the decal shows the single ended 36mm spanner instead of the double ended one. Does anyone know if the same decals were used for all of the kits?

Your kit is similar to mine, with the exception of the large spanner.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't paid much attention lately-------------what is a complete kit like this worth these days?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question. There are several examples of these for sale, but if they sell at those prices I have no idea.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: