Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Soldier Field July 3/4/5 - Farewell Dead Show
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happyfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Now a full scale tour has been announced! With john mayer instead of trey. Pretty cool for those who lucked out on tix

Whoa there, it is rumored that Mayer might do some touring with some of the members of the Dead. Personally, I hope it happens.

Link

Link

Link

"I've been listening to stuff and just falling in love with certain things. I've been listening to the Grateful Dead nonstop. Mark my words, the Grateful Dead are gonna make a comeback, because of how that music cleanses your palate. When everything is processed and quantized and gridded out – to hear "Tennessee Jed" played with that lope is a real palate-cleanser. They take their time, sometimes too much. This free expressive sort of spirit – I listen and I want to find a mix of that openness. I kind of want to go to that show, if it still existed. But I wish that there were tunes that I was more familiar with. I wish that I could be the singer. I wish I could have harmonies. And I wish that I could make it seven minutes instead of 13 minutes. Now I'll get the opportunity to kind of try that."

Read more: http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/john-mayer-grateful-dead/#ixzz3Ypof3Jgv
driverinmyhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME STICKER HAPPYFOLK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a random clip for you deadheads. Jack Straw gets fumbled and then turned around into an amazing moment:

Link

Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I won't go, but I will be curious to see how the scene unfolds. Having Colorado plates on an old VW Bus (or any car from what I have read) means a high risk of law enforcement harassment going through Kansas,Nebraska, etc etc. and I'm just so tired of that its not worth the trip.

I TOTALLY agree ! And this coming from a full summer tour vendor from 90-95.

I dont think outta state plates are the ONLY red flag to any area LEO around that time.

If I drove my split window EZ camper the 400 miles, with my 3 foot pony tail waving in the wind........well, lets just say im gonna pass after the horrible time during the "Farewell" show after Jerrys death at Alpine Valley........that was a true downer of a Police State with all the undercover and cops on horses.........and that was good old Wisconsin........ever deal with Illinois LEO's in the last 10 years as a vintage bus driver ?
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a far cooler alternative would be to have a "Gathering" in a very rural camp area about a hundred or so miles west of Chitown at the same time.

If some cool band like Ekoostik Hookah were to show up and play the campground .....all the better.

Kinda like the offsite campgrounds from the 90's.

Needs to be rural and remote, on private land to prevent "the man" from ruining the scene.

A nice country backroad route into the venue would make a relaxed voyage for those wandering in.

It would be fairly small, but Im betting a MUCH better overall way to remember Jerry and the boys.
madriding1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got tickets to both nights in Santa Clara and all 3 in Chicago.. CANT WAIT!!
Its not just a show but a way of life Cool
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driverinmyhead wrote:

Link

Oh, Jeezuz God ! I just spit out my beer and could hardly see through the tears of laughter !

Thanks for that post Driver ! Best thing I have seen in a long time !!!

Dancing
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Space wrote:
ever deal with Illinois LEO's in the last 10 years as a vintage bus driver ?

I did about 20 years ago in a '73 Westy. He looked around the Bus for a while then when he looked in the back hatch he asked "What's beneath the bed" thinking he was gonna find a stash. I told him "the engine". He told me to be on my way.

Lost in Space wrote:
If some cool band like Ekoostik Hookah were to show up and play the campground .....all the better.

Hey - they did that in like '92 in Cleveland I think!
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
Lost in Space wrote:

I did about 20 years ago in a '73 Westy. He looked around the Bus for a while then when he looked in the back hatch he asked "What's beneath the bed" thinking he was gonna find a stash. I told him "the engine". He told me to be on my way.

Lost in Space wrote:

Yeah, its all a bit of a blur.......and '92 is gettin pretty far in the past...........but, you might be right.........

It mighta been Buckey Lake at a campground . Hookah played for the campers most of the way through the night........then I think the drum circle took over till daybreak !!!!! Wink

This led me to the discovery of Hookahville which E.H. hosted and played twice a year.

Excellent scene, and fantastic other bands. No hassles from LEO's or security. Far less stressful than any Dead show. You camped for days right near the stage virtually.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Space wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:
Lost in Space wrote:

Lost in Space wrote:

Yeah, its all a bit of a blur.......and '92 is gettin pretty far in the past...........but, you might be right.........

It mighta been Buckey Lake at a campground . Hookah played for the campers most of the way through the night........then I think the drum circle took over till daybreak !!!!! Wink

This led me to the discovery of Hookahville which E.H. hosted and played twice a year.

Excellent scene, and fantastic other bands. No hassles from LEO's or security. Far less stressful than any Dead show. You camped for days right near the stage virtually.

My other guess was going to be Buckeye Lake. Good times!
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sure were ! Very Happy

Before nitrous balloons took over and violence rose its ugly head.

When I saw kids without tickets trying to rip the stadium doors off to get into some of the final Jerry shows............and the terrible vibe at the Alpine Valley reunion a few years later, that did it for me.

I tried to carry on with Rat Dog and such for a bit........not the same.......not even close.

I prefer to leave my memories of the Dead with seeing the final spring show involving Jerry..........Tampa '95 with The Black Crowes !!!!!

Jerry was sharp, Chris and Rich flew the Crowes taller!!!! It was kind ! Razz
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed...the heads were run out by the gutter punks.
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Agreed...the heads were run out by the gutter punks.

So very true, and so very sad.

I think of it as "the final traveling freak show". In my honest opinion, '95 was the very end of the traveling summer circus.

Although it was a mere shadow compared to the earlier years, I feel lucky to have been a bandit vendor on full summer tours '90 thru '95.

The huge miles and all night drives to get to the next days show was brutal as they continued to spread the venues farther apart in a attempt to discourage guys like us from hitting all the tours shows.

The running from security, the evading the Po - Po.......the sleep depravation, the heat...... it was all worth it !

It was a last gasp of a era that has now passed 20 years ago.

I sit in my split window on occasion, and drop a cassette in the old deck.......we used to take one of those small battery operated cassette recorders with us on tour. We would hide it under a tye dye shirt amongst our schwag that was spread out on our mexican blanket on Shakedown street at the shows.

I just grin from ear to ear listening to a 2 AM recording where a sister wanders up to ask us if we are REAL, only to be followed by a brother who looks all the world as a virtual clone of jesus christ materialize outta the evening fog and inform her "nothing is real".........." we are mearly spirits floating thru a space and time, that the "straights" will never pass thru."

The soft and kind philosophy, of some of the more vagabond brothers and sisters was astounding. Sometimes beyond incredible insight, other times just sad burnt out jibbrish.

Reguardless, it all was a time and vibe that will never ever be again. Confused

It changed me and the way I see todays society forever.

Back at the end of it all, I found it a bit sad that the "Kids" that went on to try and reincarnate the vibe by following Fish, thought they were the equal of the touring Deadheads.

When I saw their biggest issue of the night was if my $ 1 juice boxes I was selling their dehydrated trustafarian bodys contained some form of fructose at 3 AM...........well, it was clear, we were not going to be having a all night discussion of area 51 and its relevance in relation to other life in our galaxy !
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scene really shifted from "old family" to street scene after the bands surprising success that came with Touch Of Grey in 87. The tour had to absorb more and more throw-away kids that only knew street life (and all the hard drugs/crime/disease). The older heads that interacted with many off the ideas of social revolution of the 60's/70's (hard work/self reliance/share economy) were overwhelmed by beggars and thieves. Naturally they left. I really hope a glimmer of the past vibe re-emerges at these final shows.....
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Space wrote:

Back at the end of it all, I found it a bit sad that the "Kids" that went on to try and reincarnate the vibe by following Fish, thought they were the equal of the touring Deadheads.

I don't mean to sound harsh but honestly this reeks of prejudgement of something you don't understand. If anyone should be capable of understanding the phish scene, it should be someone who toured with the dead. It's not about being "equal to deadheads". Phish is totally different than the GD but what they have in common is their ability to transcend through music and interact with the crowd in a similar way. The fans are commonly grateful dead fans as well and there are plenty of "old school" deadheads who love them. So yes, there is a crossover and the culture is definitely influenced by the Dead (and the Allmans, among others).

There is a reason the memeber's of the Grateful Dead all like and endorse Phish. They are carrying on the torch in the spirit of collective improvisation among the band and audience. Phish's music is quirky enough to scare a lot of people off at first. If you are willing to give them a chance, keep listening and go see several shows and stand up close, you will "get it". I'm sorry but until you understand and experience what it is all about, your opinion means very little.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Space wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
I won't go, but I will be curious to see how the scene unfolds. Having Colorado plates on an old VW Bus (or any car from what I have read) means a high risk of law enforcement harassment going through Kansas,Nebraska, etc etc. and I'm just so tired of that its not worth the trip.

I dont think outta state plates are the ONLY red flag to any area LEO around that time.

If I drove my split window EZ camper the 400 miles, with my 3 foot pony tail waving in the wind........well, lets just say im gonna pass after the horrible time during the "Farewell" show after Jerrys death at Alpine Valley........that was a true downer of a Police State with all the undercover and cops on horses.........and that was good old Wisconsin........ever deal with Illinois LEO's in the last 10 years as a vintage bus driver ?

Why don't you guys go and find out?! Nobody is going to mess with you! If you are that worried about it, don't carry anything that could get you in trouble, problem solved.
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Lost in Space wrote:

I don't mean to sound harsh but honestly this reeks of prejudgement of something you don't understand. If anyone should be capable of understanding the phish scene, it should be someone who toured with the dead. It's not about being "equal to deadheads". Phish is totally different than the GD but what they have in common is their ability to transcend through music and interact with the crowd in a similar way. The fans are commonly grateful dead fans as well and there are plenty of "old school" deadheads who love them. So yes, there is a crossover and the culture is definitely influenced by the Dead (and the Allmans, among others).

There is a reason the memeber's of the Grateful Dead all like and endorse Phish. They are carrying on the torch in the spirit of collective improvisation among the band and audience. Phish's music is quirky enough to scare a lot of people off at first. If you are willing to give them a chance, keep listening and go see several shows and stand up close, you will "get it". I'm sorry but until you understand and experience what it is all about, your opinion means very little.

Sorry man, been there done that.........I went with a friend who used to vend with me on the Dead tours......we vended the Phish shows also.........Phish had no decent music......ever.......and the scene was crap compared to the Dead.

If I had a dollar for every fake "Bro" at a Phish show that had bugs in his dreadlocks, posing as a vagabond street wanderer.......where later you would see him climb into a year old fancy SUV with Cali plates, headed out to spend his next trust fund check.......I would be a rich man also ! Wink

Nope........next your gonna tell me how great Widespread Panic is, right ?

There are a bunch of great collective improvosation "jam bands" out there...........Phish is not one of them.

No, the days of "old family" that manfred speaks of are long gone........forever.

I just feel lucky to have met a handfull of the "old family" as the flame died out.
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Lost in Space wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:

Why don't you guys go and find out?! Nobody is going to mess with you! If you are that worried about it, don't carry anything that could get you in trouble, problem solved.

I wouldnt go even if I had a free ticket !

Tell us Pinetops, how many times have you been thrown against a bus, while the cop with the nasty german shepard rifeled through everything for a half hour ?

Ever had the plastic zip tie handcuffs on as they drag you to the temporary prison under the facilitys at the Dead reunion in Alpine Valley ?

Its not a "kind" scene.

Besides......Chitown traffic isnt doable with a 40 HP bus by my standards.....especially with outta state plates around that time. Rolling Eyes
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know how these types of arguments will play out on an internet forum. I'll pick out each remark and have a response, you'll do that same. We'll both will think and try to prove how we are right and the other is wrong when there is no right and wrong, only opinions.

We'll go back and fourth only escalating a pointless argument so lets just save ourselves the time and energy. I should've just kept my opinion to myself on this one, my bad. These types of conversations are better had in person IMO.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: