Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stoddard WCSTA contest
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Stoddard WCSTA contest Reply with quote

Hi folks. As many of you know, Stoddard is hosting a contest to save long neglected 356's to put them on the road again. A young person that I know , Trevor Gates, purchased such a car a few short years ago. Some of you may be aware of him and his project. It was long abandoned, and left for dead years ago, as were many others in the contest. His car was completely stripped of nearly every part, and had to be sawn in to 3 pieces to extricate the rusty hulk from it's location. Upon his purchase, he immediately began working on it, collecting rare parts for this 57 T1. Steve Hogue fitted it on his chassis jig and welded it back together as one unit. Trevor then built an ingenious rolling rotisserie, of his own design, to mount the body to. Recently, he has been busy restoring his '67 Cadillac convertible at the same time in his tiny garage at home. This included overhauling the tricky original engine, buying a tig welder, and learning how to us it for the first time. It is now in the paint shop and will be done in a few weeks, ready for assembly.
In the meantime, he has run for office on the 356 Registry, but was not elected. He since has secured a place on the So Cal 356 club board, and most recently volunteered his time at the North South gathering at Cambria, even though he has never owned a running 356. One of the criteria of the contest is that a participant finish the project in a timely manner. While several others have deserving projects, many have languished for decades, with little or no progress. I feel that Trevor, self employed, with a wife and two young children is deserving of a vote by Registry members.
fcampbell356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Stoddard Reply with quote

I have followed the effort of Trevor when he has posted on The Samba, and if anyone could use some help, he surly does.

To bad it has to be voted on by 356 Registry member only.

My two cents.

Frank
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to "Trevor's endeavours" on the Registry site. Please encourage members that you know to vote for this deserving young man. Very Happy
http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29204
_Trevor_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Stoddard WCSTA contest Reply with quote

Thanks Jack and Frank!
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty sad that only 133 Registry members have voted on this as of now.
Confused Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?...e90d681fce
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Stoddard WCSTA contest Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
It's pretty sad that only 133 Registry members have voted on this as of now.
Confused Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

Make that 134, Jack. I just gave Trevor my vote. Wink Still, I'm not surprised about the turnout when you figure that maybe 10% of the membership votes for the trustees each election.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, folks, tomorrow is the last day to get your votes in for the contest so graciously offered by Stoddard. I agree with a previous post, at the ABCGT forum, that the prize should go to an amateur, particularly to someone that will be doing most of the work themselves. While all are worthy, I personally would rule out contestants that have had cars languishing for many years, with little or no progress while in their possession, or cars that have completed value in the stratosphere, (Speedsters, 4 cams, etc). Do we really need to feel sorry for these owners? Remember, the contest requires likelihood of completion, a good background story, timely updates as work progresses, and a DESERVING project/candidate. I might add to this, continuing contributions to the 356 community at large, and significant personal sacrifice to save a forgotten 356 from being scrapped. Trevor Gates meets all of this criteria, and more. I encourage anyone who can, to give him your vote to keep him in the running. Please encourage any Registry members that you know to do likewise.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jack. Trevor has been a 356 enthusiast for years & the story is really cool.

It seems the person who had been at the top of the voting has decided to sell his project & has pulled himself out of the contest. Moves Trevor up one notch. Go Trevor.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Trevor Gates has advanced in to the FINAL ROUND OF VOTING!!!, thanks to all of you that cast your votes for him, and encouraged others to do so as well. This final round consists of just the four contestants that garnered the highest votes in the second round, so this one is for all the marbles! Voting for this round is open now, and will run for only one week, ending Sunday, May 31, so get your votes in soon, and spread the word! Once again, you must be a Registry member, and you must log in to the forum to cast your vote. Good luck Trevor!
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Stoddard WCSTA contest Reply with quote

Trevor just got my vote and is out to an early lead that I hope holds up. Cool
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Stoddard WCSTA contest Reply with quote

Trevor is now in 2nd. The top 3 guys are very close. I can't vote again but I hope any fellow Registry members who are still eligible to vote will give Trevor their nod.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: