Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SB back from the dead
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaskanrocket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: SB back from the dead Reply with quote

My new project, Im dragging it home in the next day or so. The resurrection shall begin! Its not near as bad as I thought it would be. Updates to come.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alaskanrocket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it home. It's mostly complete minus exhaust system and a few other small odds and ends. Finally got the rear seat up, with help from here. As soon as I hooked the battery cables, it started to turn over, It was missing the ignition tumbler so I thought it had something to do with that, I pulled the ignition switch out and then noticed there was never anything plugged into the switch, looked under the dash and found the cluster shoved under with all connections jumpered together? Odd, but at least now I know why it was doing that.
Its a long story how I got this but basically the previous owner didn't know a thing about it and had never messed with it. It looks like at some point it had some electrical issues because there are a lot of wires that were loose at the coil, distributor, generator etc. I got all that put back together and it does have spark. I'm not really sure where to start just yet but I figure I'll start at the engine and go from there. I know the brakes need serious work and the master cylinder will probably need replaced since it didn't have any fluid in the reservoir (I added some and still nothing) and its probably all rusted up now along with every other part of the brake system. The good thing is the lack of rust, there is a fair amount of surface rust but almost no cancer, well so far anyways. Ill keep updating as I progress.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Get us some photos! Should be a fun project. You planing on doing a full restore or just enough to drive?
Ya probably want to get a Bentley manual and sort through all that wiring. (the manual has full page color diagrams, as well as info for just about everything else about the car.)

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskanrocket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Bentley on the way, Im so bored at work Ive just been pounding away at the refresh button waiting for a reply, thanks for making my morning. Just planning on getting it drivable, clean it up, lower it, then cruise for high school girls. (not really, im about 10 years too old for that shit, and married)
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it still has that original fabric covered fuel hose, it ALL has to be replaced with 5/16" rubber fuel hose. New rubber brake hoses is probably all the brakes need? It is still fuel injected?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskanrocket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its still fuel injected, I am planning on replacing the fuel lines. Im not going to start on the brakes until I have the engine sorted. Its for the best, if I get too many things torn apart at once things start to go south. One thing that is odd though is the front seats aren't high back seats......
Alaskanrocket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the new ignition tumbler in last night, and it seems everything electrical is working, I dumped a small amount of mix gas(for some lubrication since its sat for awhile) into the intake and fired her up, just a short run maybe 10 seconds. Seemed to run ok but time will tell.
I wanted to see what some rubbing compound would do, it looks a lot better. Im not sure what do with paint just yet, im thinking about buffing it out and running whats there. Any thoughts?

Next step will be going through the wiring as there is some hinky stuff going on in a few places as well as replacing all the vacuum and fuel lines. After that I'll be pulling the fuel pump and giving it a good cleaning.
What are these seats out of? They don't seem to want to fold forward and Im fairly certain they're not original?

nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaskanrocket wrote:
I got a Bentley on the way, Im so bored at work Ive just been pounding away at the refresh button waiting for a reply, thanks for making my morning. Just planning on getting it drivable, clean it up, lower it, then cruise for high school girls. (not really, im about 10 years too old for that shit, and married)

Haha it'll be that way around here sometimes too Laughing Sounds like a great plan, although I may be biased cause it's pretty much the same think I'm doing with mine.

Before you do too much running of the engine get new fuel lines like mike said and go through basic tune up stuff. Check points, valve lash, etc. Wouldn't hurt to change the oil either.

Got any photos of that passenger side mirror? Mine came with one but some of the threads were stripped. I'd like to see if it's the same style mirror as mine, I've not seen any like it on a T3 so far.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskanrocket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will when I get home tonight.
Alaskanrocket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I spaced it, I'll try and remember to get a pic tonight.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! What year is it?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
Alaskanrocket wrote:

Haha it'll be that way around here sometimes too Laughing Sounds like a great plan, although I may be biased cause it's pretty much the same think I'm doing with mine.

Before you do too much running of the engine get new fuel lines like mike said and go through basic tune up stuff. Check points, valve lash, etc. Wouldn't hurt to change the oil either.

Got any photos of that passenger side mirror? Mine came with one but some of the threads were stripped. I'd like to see if it's the same style mirror as mine, I've not seen any like it on a T3 so far.

Like any of these?

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskanrocket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a '73, data tag says August 72, which I think is the last month they were produced? That's what the Bentley said anyways, I got one of the last ones if that's the case. It has the dark Blue interior, I think Tram was saying those weren't very common.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, you have the 3 point mounting for the front seats! I had a 73 squareback... mine came with no side trim and the housings for the turn lamps were not chrome.

have fun with the resuscitation!
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
nogoodwithusernames wrote:
Alaskanrocket wrote:

Like any of these?

No, I remember talking to you about them a while back, but it is more like some of the ghia (t1 ghia) mirrors.

And it has a plate held on to the door with two screws.

-Derek
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a bug or bus mirror. The KG mirrors have a smaller nut in their doors than ours I believe. Yours didn't come on a Type 3. You can find new EMPI mirrors like yours for a bug or bus that will fit your door. Mine looks like the middle mirror in the bottom row with the separate extension arm & yours should be similar. The teardrop pair in the top row are '67 mirrors.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: