Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

[Resolved] Alternator not charging battery - 1972 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErikTande wrote:
I don't measure any voltage at the alternator post where the battery connects when the car is off or ignition is on. Should I be seeing 12v there?

Yes, that should head off to the battery, possibly through a connector in the engine compartment. Trace out that wire and see what's up.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B+(Big red-white wire) should have battery on it all the time. (if not look under the back seat it's supposed to hook up to the battery, just get a battery cable that has a place for it. Some people hook them up to the starter which is fine.
The green wire for the field at the alternator will have just a little voltage on it with the key on provided it's going to the Alt/Gen light, But when your start the engine and the alternator start's charging it should go to 14 volts DC. And B+ goes from 12.6 volts to 14 volts.
ErikTande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was it. I assume I should have been seeing at least 12v at the generator, so I followed the power wire and found a split, I think one goes to the starter and the other to the alternator, and one of these red ones was unplugged. I plugged it back in and now the alternator light goes out when the car is running. It will blink on if I turn the lights on, then fade off again. So I assume that means the alternator is working, at least somewhat.

I'm still only measuring 12.6v at the battery now though during idle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErikTande wrote:
I think that was it. I assume I should have been seeing at least 12v at the generator,

Alternator. It's important to speak precisely because some cars have generators and some cars have alternators and the procedures around troubleshooting them are different. Smile

Quote:

so I followed the power wire and found a split, I think one goes to the starter and the other to the alternator, and one of these red ones was unplugged. I plugged it back in and now the alternator light goes out when the car is running. It will blink on if I turn the lights on, then fade off again. So I assume that means the alternator is working, at least somewhat.

I'm still only measuring 12.6v at the battery now though during idle.

Yeah if the wire that connects the alternator to the battery is disconnected, that will definitely keep your battery from charging!

That said, 12.6v is not enough. It's charging but barely - it's definitely not in spec. You should see up around 13.8v. Does the reading you get change as the engine speed increases? What's your idle speed set at?

Did you clean up and re-install the ground strap between transaxle and frame that you found just hanging on the stud? Do that if you haven't done it. Also make sure that the ground strap from the battery has clean metal-to-metal contact with the body where it mounts.

Make sure your belt is set at the right tension so that it's not slipping.

There may be an issue with the alternator or voltage regulator if you're not seeing the right voltage but before you go down that road it pays to spend some time making sure you have good connections throughout the charging circuit.
JKLundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out the hard way that having a powder coated alternator stand can also keep it from charging. The Bosch alternator frame to b+ terminal was 14.6v but to anything else on my engine or even battery (-) was 12.4v (battery voltage). I sanded powder coating off of my alternator stand and put the strap on with some copper tape in the gap. Tightened it up and all is well Try checking voltage from b+ terminal to alternator housing, should be 14.something or thereabouts. If not alternator is likely bad, if 14.? You have a wiring issue.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
You should have the same voltage reading at the battery positive post as well as that B+ post on the alternator. That smoked brown wire has already been addressed. And finally, the small "exciter wire" should link the warning lite on the speedo to that push-on terminal atop the alt.
If you have battery voltage at the alternator B+, then use a test lite of some sort for the "exciter wire", commonly referred to as terminal 61. Hook up your homemade terminal 61 circuit. It can hook up to the coil +, or even to the battery positive. Hook other end to the push-on and you now have a basic alternator warning lite that will also "excite" that circuit. Start the car up, lite should go out, and read your voltage at the alt's B+. This is the simplest way to diagnose your alt. If you have voltage above battery 12.5v, your on your way. If not, poss the alt is the culprit. You may want to fab your own alternator wiring harness.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Zero Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Sorry this isn't exactly related to the post but in the picture Erik posted there is a little plastic yellow cap on a tube coming out of the carb. I just bought a bug with dual carbs and one of them has that same cap and the other one doesn't have it. My carb floods and gas comes out of that tube. What's that cap called? Any idea where I can buy one?
Thanks
ErikTande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero Cool wrote:
Hi. Sorry this isn't exactly related to the post but in the picture Erik posted there is a little plastic yellow cap on a tube coming out of the carb. I just bought a bug with dual carbs and one of them has that same cap and the other one doesn't have it. My carb floods and gas comes out of that tube. What's that cap called? Any idea where I can buy one?
Thanks

They're vacuum caps, you can get them online or at any auto parts store, here's a link:
http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/vacuum-cap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: