Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help with laminate but not laminate - contact sheet?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: help with laminate but not laminate - contact sheet? Reply with quote

Had my new to me 84 Westy to my garage and for a little less than $1,400. got the fluids changed/checked, fuel lines and hoses replaced, plugs, alternator harness, battery wires, etc., etc.

Now focusing on the inside details after some further cleaning up this past weekend.

My Westy is the almond/brown interior color scheme - my question is what is a good covering match for the textured eggshell colored thin laminate that is inside cabinets and on the back side walls of the van (i.e. not the top for the cooktop/sink or the main cabinetry, but the stuff inside of the cabinet spaces. This surfacing is coming off of some of the surfaces and I could repaint it with a close color match, but if there is contact laminate or something that is stock and available, I would like to look into that -

It's the stuff that has a basket weave kind of texture in it - very thin plastic laminate that likely was stick on somehow.

Thanks -
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adhesive shelf liner from Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stripped out ALL of the contact paper from my cabinets…a wonderful experience. Anyway, I chose to go with white paint, as all the beige, brown, tan colors I found to be a bit dreary. It brightened up the interior quite a bit, VERY happy I chose white. I also made new front, sliding and ear door/trunk panels out of luan. I painted them white as well. Its like a whole new experience inside. Very Happy

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help with the name of the stuff - a few too many choices to figure out if there is a decent match from looking online - may just go the paint route to make the color right which will be the biggest thing.

The two major spots at the moment are inside the cabinet above the bottom bed - both sides of the vertical part of the shelf area - the inside of the cabinets is not a big deal - the bigger thing is the part of this that is seen through the rear window which is the back of the tray/shelf that runs across the top. Right now you just see the wood panel with all the stuff pulled off plus some mold spots that I've moldexed and bleached - just need to paint or adhesive over this to improve it 100x over present.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beige exterior is a completely different product than the basketweave interior.

Here is a link to the proper beige color.......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=628185

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: