Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charging at 15.8V - what's wrong?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Charging at 15.8V - what's wrong? Reply with quote

Electrical gurus, need your help:

Symptoms:
* Charging at idle: 11.8 V
* Charging when rev'ing her up: 15-16 V
* The other day the engine stopped in a traffic light in front of a fire truck with full sirens (my daughter driving the beetle was NOT very happy... Embarassed ).
Battery was flat. Managed to push it to start. When driving, the generator light came on, lighting all the time. After recharging the battery over night the generator light was still on all the time.
Doing some fixing today, the generator light is now working as normal (goes off after start), car runs well. However, as mentioned above, I get a reading of 15.8 V when rev'ing the engine.

Is this normal? Worried about overcharging the battery.

The car:
* 1972 Superbeetle, 1600 DP
* Generator-type with regulator under the back seat.

Thanks for help!
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regulator is the first suspect. What voltage do you read across the generator at 2000 rpm? 11.8 at idle is low unless you idle at 700rpm or less.

I'd put an alternator in and scrap the old regulator. Easy to do and the motor does not have to come out. Intake manifold slides off to left to expose fan backing plate screws.
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harleyelf wrote:
Regulator is the first suspect. What voltage do you read across the generator at 2000 rpm? 11.8 at idle is low unless you idle at 700rpm or less.

I'd put an alternator in and scrap the old regulator. Easy to do and the motor does not have to come out. Intake manifold slides off to left to expose fan backing plate screws.

At 2000 rpm it's around 15 V
Idle (800-900 rpm) is 11-12 V

Have been thinking about getting myself an alternator, but the old generator has been doing a great job the last 43 years, so if it's just a regulator issue, then I'll maybe just change that ??
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just change the regulator. The generators don't put much out at idle, but the regulator shouldn't let them over 15 volts. After a few miles driving even idle should show over 12 volts at the battery, and with the engine at 2000 rpm you should be over 13.6 volts.

If you have a big sound system, or a lot of other added accessories, then you should consider an alternator upgrade. If you electrical system is basically stock then the stock generator system should prove fine.

Before swapping out the regulator I would redo the connections at the generator, the connections at the regulator, and make sure the transaxle to frame ground strap is in place (that missing or broken usually causes a slow starter too.) If you happen to have a regulator with a removable cover they can often be adjusted back into spec.

Last edited by EVfun on Mon May 25, 2015 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for good advise.

I take it that 16 V is above the limit and something is wrong...(?). Changing the regulator makes sense.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the old regulators are usually bad. If running a generator get the new bosch solid state regulator. They are much better 113 903 803E and Rock Auto has others.
The thing to do though since the battery was dead is to check it's electrolyte, it may just be low. But probably needs a new regulator too.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racing alternators put out 16v. Did the alt/gen ever put out the right voltage? Or is this a new unit?
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check (measure) the ground connection between the generator case and the regulator. If you are unsure, temporarily run a jumper wire between the two
and recheck the charging voltage.

The regulator uses this ground as a reference point to determine when to start and stop charging the battery.
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
Racing alternators put out 16v. Did the alt/gen ever put out the right voltage? Or is this a new unit?

Not sure. Since I never experienced any charging issues before I never checked the voltage 'scientifically'. It's the original generator that's in there, and it has worked fine since 1972, never any trouble with flat battery on this one.

My other Beetle (1976 w/alternator): The regulator on that one broke, and that caused the battery to explode under the back seat!!! KABOOM!!! Shocked I'm very scared of overcharging...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Received a new Bosch regulator in the mail today, will put it in tomorrow. Hopefully it will give a nice, steady 13-14 V charging...
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed. Changed the regulator. Now it charges 12.8 V on idle and 13.9 to 14.0 V on 2000-3000 rpm steady.

Thanks for input, guys.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already done it, it would be a good idea to check the fluid level in your battery now that you have things figured out. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boble wrote:
Fixed. Changed the regulator. Now it charges 12.8 V on idle and 13.9 to 14.0 V on 2000-3000 rpm steady.

Thanks for input, guys.

Thanks for letting us know a solution has been found. Other in the future can benefit from reading symptoms and the successful fix. Plus, it is nice to know when we are on the right track and when unique problems arise.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: