Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer slow after new locking front diff installed.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Speedometer slow after new locking front diff installed. Reply with quote

'90 Syncro Westy. 16" wheels.

I just had a rebuilt locking front diff installed (rebuilt with 4.86 R&P, formerly a 5.83 R&P). This locking front diff was imported by Autostadt in Sacramento and rebuilt by GTA.
I started out from the shop today after the install and noticed the speedometer was slow and it dawned on me they hadn't swapped the speedo sensor from my old, stock, US, non-locking diff. So, I went back and they swapped the speedo sensor. However, while putting it in, we noticed that the speedo sensor from my old non-locking diff was larger (more teeth) than the speedo sensor that came out of the new european locker (19 teeth). We put it in anyway and now my speedometer is still slow (maybe even slower), about 20% slow. I estimated using the RPM's. I usually would be at 65mph at 3500-3600 RPM's, where as now I am only reading 55mph at the same RPM's. This leads me to believe that the gear inside the front locking diff used to spin the speedo sensor must be smaller than the one in my old non-locker. Does anyone have experience with these???

Is there something inside this imported locking diff that causes the speedometer to show slower while using both the European speedo sensor AND the the speedo sensor from my old non-locker?????
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the speedometer drive gear in the front diff that turns the speedometer drive that should have been swapped for the 4.86 version when the build was done. Swapping the speedometer drive with a mismatched drive gear will strip out the plastic teeth of the speedometer drive.

Example of the drive gear and the speedo drive.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thread with morre info on the different speedo drive gears http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597614
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
Here's a thread with morre info on the different speedo drive gears http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597614

Thanks for that!!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between a 4.86 and a 5.83 gear ratios is almost exactly 20%.Shocked
Since you started and ended up with a 4.86 with no tire size change and there speed reading is off the same as the gearing ratios it has to be that drive gear. I would talk to the builder about the issue.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
The difference between a 4.86 and a 5.83 gear ratios is almost exactly 20%.Shocked
Since you started and ended up with a 4.86 with no tire size change and there speed reading is off the same as the gearing ratios it has to be that drive gear. I would talk to the builder about the issue.

....and the original speedo sensor from the locking diff is dark brown (094409181H 7/19 Dark BROWN).
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speedometer drive gears in the diff have either 7, 8 or 9 teeth, what do you have? Using a 8/19 on a 7 tooth speedo drive gear will strip it.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
The speedometer drive gears in the diff have either 7, 8 or 9 teeth, what do you have? Using a 8/19 on a 7 tooth speedo drive gear will strip it.

I'm pretty sure it's this.... 094409181B 8/19 WHITE (standard for all North America, all of which were 4.86) .
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the plastic toothed gear assembly that the speedometer cable attaches to not the gear in the diff.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
That is the plastic toothed gear assembly that the speedometer cable attaches to not the gear in the diff.

I suspect the speedo drive gear was not change with the 4.86 conversion and I still have the 7. Should have been changed to an 8. I will speak with the builder.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: